embarrasing newbie question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
odawa

embarrasing newbie question

Post by odawa » Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Hello all,
I just got my cpap machine 2 days ago. I have a question. When you have to go to the bathroom, do you take off the entire face mask or is there another way? Both nites I had to go, and by the time I figured out how to put the mask back on in the dark, I was awake again.
I have the REMstar M Series with C-Flex and the nasal pillows. I have no idea what brand the pillows are.
Thanks so much,
Andrea

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 pm

I think you could just disconnect your mask hose from the main hose ... just don't run into any burglar(s) cuz you might scare the the you know what out of 'em.

Just funn'in with 'ya

Really though you can just disconnect the hoses.

Welcome to the gang!

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri May 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Most masks have some form of quick disconnect from the hose. I just leave mine on my face, disconnect from the hose, and come back.

If yours doesn't, then that's why I keep an Activa extender bit lying around.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

odawa

Post by odawa » Fri May 04, 2007 1:17 pm

I was hoping it would be an easy answer. I wasnt sure if it would hurt the machine, tubes or ?????
Wow, is this ever a new experience. Yesterday I woke up feeling pretty good, minus almost scaring myself. I had a dream I was being probed and examed by aliens, and woke up with tubes and a mask on my face. I SCREAMED!! Then realized it was just the CPAP. lol

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri May 04, 2007 1:23 pm

With my mask, all I have to do is un-do one of the lower clips and slip it off over my head......AFTER I've shut my machine off. It's easier then fiddling with the "quick" disconnect.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

linda b

Post by linda b » Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 pm

I just disconnect the mask hose from the main hose as others have suggested, but before I do that I push the off button on the machine. Otherwise it is going to be registering one heck of a major leak while you are gone!!

Linda B.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 04, 2007 1:26 pm

odawa wrote:I was hoping it would be an easy answer. I wasnt sure if it would hurt the machine, tubes or ?????
Wow, is this ever a new experience. Yesterday I woke up feeling pretty good, minus almost scaring myself. I had a dream I was being probed and examed by aliens, and woke up with tubes and a mask on my face. I SCREAMED!! Then realized it was just the CPAP. lol
That's why I have an alien symbol on my mask ... they have not abducted me once so I know it works ... makes 'em think I'm one of them

Oh BTW - don't forget to shut off your machine before you disconnect the hoses so you don't blow all of the stuff in your bedroom out the window.

Best of luck!

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Fri May 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Dreamstalker, you look different without your facial and head hair. Are you SURE they haven't gotten to you?!?!? And I love your beautiful blue eyes!

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Fri May 04, 2007 2:07 pm

I agree with just disconnecting the mask hose from the main hose. Just like breathing through a snorkle for a few minutes while you use the facilities.

Although now I sleep deeply enought that I rarely have to get up and take that trip anymore.

odawa

Post by odawa » Fri May 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Ohh that would be so nice not to have to get up to go at nite. I'm just glad I'm down to once a nite. Thats a huge bonus!! I just have to get use to sleeping with the stuff on. I like to sleep on my side and back, and its been a bit difficult. I woke up tired again this morn. I figure it'll take some time.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 04, 2007 3:17 pm

Bonnie wrote:Dreamstalker, you look different without your facial and head hair. Are you SURE they haven't gotten to you?!?!? And I love your beautiful blue eyes!
Nah! That's not me. That's my half-wit laboratory assistant, Shorty (he just hates it when I call him that ... he he's only a foot tall ).

I make him wear all my prototype mask modifications first ... if he wakes up all bright eyed without any complaints ... then I try it for myself.

odawa wrote:Ohh that would be so nice not to have to get up to go at nite. I'm just glad I'm down to once a nite. Thats a huge bonus!! I just have to get use to sleeping with the stuff on. I like to sleep on my side and back, and its been a bit difficult. I woke up tired again this morn. I figure it'll take some time.
Yep ... I used to wake up 4 to 5 times a night pre-PAP days ... now I sleep right through each night.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri May 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Hmmmm... So, you're saying that my ripping off my mask and letting it blow on without me while I potty and perambulate and contemplate fridge contents is going to mess up my Smart Card and make me look very non-compliant? Or at least Leaky?

Good to know... I'll start hitting the off button more regularly.

Many thanks!
Barbara

JFMARSHA

Headgear quick release

Post by JFMARSHA » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm new to this too. But I figured people would tell Andrea the easiest thing is just to use the quick release on the mask headgear and leave the mask/tubing on the bed while you hit the john.

On my Comfort gel nasal mask the quick release works easily and that's what I do. Is there a reason I should be disconnecting the tubing from the mask and wearing the mask to the toilet.

Confused,

John (really)

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:53 pm

John, not all masks have quick release. So some of them are easier to wear to the restroom than to remove and leave on the bed.

Odawa, with nasal pillows or a nasal mask, you have to make sure you are not mouth breathing. If the pressure is going in your nose, but out your mouth, then you won't get therapy. If you are getting a really dry mouth, that would be a sign.

roster

Re: embarrasing newbie question

Post by roster » Fri May 04, 2007 4:24 pm

[quote="odawa"]Hello all,
I just got my cpap machine 2 days ago. I have a question. When you have to go to the bathroom, do you take off the entire face mask or is there another way? Both nites I had to go, and by the time I figured out how to put the mask back on in the dark, I was awake again.
I have the REMstar M Series with C-Flex and the nasal pillows. I have no idea what brand the pillows are.
Thanks so much,
Andrea

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related