Mask Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Mask Problems

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:24 pm

I have not been on here in months. It's nice to still see some of the same people that were on here a while ago. I hope everyone is doing well. I am writing because all of a sudden, I cannot stand to sleep with my mask on. I have a CL2 and have had it for over a year now. The past 2 weeks, I simply cannot stand to sleep with this on my face. Why now, after using my cpap faithfully for a year, is this happening? Anyone else have this happen?

Missy

Post by Missy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:32 pm

That first post is by me-I forgot to sign in. Thanks you all for any and all help!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Other than "can't stand it", what is the problem? Does it leak, hurt, can't breathe, what? Are your pillows worn out and need replaced?

Have you changed any settings on your machine? Is the machine working properly?

Please give more info so we can help.

Missy

Post by Missy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Sorry-I should have given more info...The mask and cushion is new (replacement), I have lost about 50 pounds, so I thought the pressure might be too high, so I have been playing with the numbers. I was origionally set for 10. I have found through trial and error that that is really where I need to be to have my numbers look good. I have had the AHI at 1.0 on an average for the last few months. I cannot understand why the numbers look so good, when I am waking up at least 8-10 times per night adjusting the headgear, or the nasal cushion. It is baffling to me why all of a sudden I am dealing with this. My sleep hygiene is great, no caffeine, no change in diet. I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this very confusing problem.

sleepinginseattle

Post by sleepinginseattle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 pm

If you've lost 50 lbs. since titration (starting on CPAP therapy) I think there's a good reason to believe you might need to have your therapy reevaluated. But that's something for a medical professional to determine.

If you've been compliant for about a year and are only now having difficulty sleeping through the night I would start by looking at what has changed to make sleep so uncomfortable.

The weight loss is an obvious change. How about stress in your life? Work or family related stress can be disruptive.

Are you suffering from seasonal allergies? Tree pollen is really high here in Seattle and I'm having difficulty breathing and my eyes itch all the time. That's disruptive to me.

Have you made any changes in your sleeping area? Same room as always? Same bed? And speaking of bed, is it comfortable? Sometimes something as simple as a new mattress can make a big change.

If you're waking every hour, the quality of your sleep is bad. That means you're exhausted during the day, which could be adding stress to you life, and in turn make the sleep worse. It's a cycle that you'll have to find a way to break.

Try something new to get ready for bed. A relaxing bath. A book, not the TV or Internet. Try yoga or calming scents (if you respond to them) to get your body ready to rest.

It is not uncommon for people starting out on CPAP therapy to enjoy an initial rush of energy and improvement from their sleep deprived condition. That initial rush is bound to wear off and the period that follows could be called "anti-climactic". With the weight loss you've mentioned and your year of compliance, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you've enjoyed huge success from the therapy and you may have just tipped over a little too far towards being comfortable without the mask. You adjust it constantly because you're not sure why you're still wearing it, you might be a little annoyed that your body feels really good and you want a break from the therapy that reminds you of how you felt before. I can understand how you might have subconsciously rejected the mask in light of how much better you feel about yourself. If you haven't had an appointment with your sleep doctor in a year's time, this would be a good time to consider getting a sleep check-up.

Just my $.02.

Cale

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:03 pm

Also, you might try Rested Gals "homemade strap" to help stabilize the CL2 -- maybe the new one is slipping and waking you up.

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss. Good for you.