Vacation Home Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
andy88488

Re: Vacation Home Machine?

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:44 am
loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:27 am
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:24 am
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit.
And it didn't even work on my new 11. The bluetooth never connected. I had to enter the serial number manually.
I rest my case....fluff that doesn't even work like it is supposed to work. :lol: :lol:
But then I don't even care to use MyAir so what do I know. I am quite happy looking at the LCD screen on the machine IF I happen to want to see how I did last night. It's more than sufficient for my needs and if I want more I can use OSCAR.

Now when they come out with a machine that can actually for sure measure sleep vs awake....that one will get my attention....but I am not holding my breath on that one either.
I do find MyAir a little valuable. I keep an eye on my leaks, because I have trouble adjusting my mask straps and keeping them in place. I don't do that much with OSCAR, because my tread AHI is typically so good.
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:59 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:24 am
andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am
They put in a bluetooth capability just so you didn't need to enter the serial number ONCE?
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit. They make it out like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and all us old cpap veterans aren't really interested. Maybe some day the machine manufacturers will actually make some sort of improvement that actually will do what people think it will do instead of just creating more "fluff".

I won't be holding my breath though. :D
Definitely, their minimal use of Bluetooth *is* "fluff", basically a waste of time and money.

I do have some optimism that there is more to come:
  • The Air11's have an Over-the-air update, like the Air10s. But unlike the Air10s, ResMed is actually taking advantage of the OTA updates for regular patching and updates.
  • Implementing the same cellular mechanism as the Air10s, was easy to implement, established, bug-free and quick. Exactly what they needed to rush out the Air11, and then follow through with an OTA update later on, with a more feature-rich Bluetooth implementation.
  • ResMed pays a lot to implement a cellular solution in hardware, and m2m licensing. A properly implemented Bluetooth solution, for both user app data and upload to ResMed and Medical team usage, could save them a lot of money.
I predict an OTA upgrade giving more Bluetooth functionality, and eventually data-transfer to the App, eventually removing the need for cullular access.

But don't hold your breath.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:06 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am
I do find MyAir a little valuable. I keep an eye on my leaks, because I have trouble adjusting my mask straps and keeping them in place. I don't do that much with OSCAR, because my tread AHI is typically so good.
Same here. OSCAR comes out when there is a problem.

JOinPA

Post by JOinPA » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:02 pm

Don't wait to make a decision! I posted elsewhere that the AirSense Card to Cloud machines are now discounted, and LSAT replied he has one with a MODEM for sale! You might PM LSAT to inquire about that. The AS11, I believe, uses pretty much the same software as far as algorithms and such, it's not different or if it is, not much different. But it does have a smaller blower motor, which should not be an issue for a weekend only machine.

But I'd try to get another AS10, if it was me. I just did as a matter of fact.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:16 pm

JOinPA wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:02 pm
Don't wait to make a decision! I posted elsewhere that the AirSense Card to Cloud machines are now discounted, and LSAT replied he has one with a MODEM for sale! You might PM LSAT to inquire about that. The AS11, I believe, uses pretty much the same software as far as algorithms and such, it's not different or if it is, not much different. But it does have a smaller blower motor, which should not be an issue for a weekend only machine.

But I'd try to get another AS10, if it was me. I just did as a matter of fact.
Yeah, thanks. I do know all of that, but I'm kind of a gadget person, so I generally want the new and shiny one.
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:40 pm

I have seen the new Air Sense 11s being offered for sale on Facebook Market Place.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:50 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:59 am

tis a terrible thing to say in a cpap forum!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:16 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:50 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:

tis a terrible thing to say in a cpap forum!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Moved and seconded.

Ashern

Post by Ashern » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:20 am

Dog Slobber wrote:

Definitely, their minimal use of Bluetooth *is* "fluff", basically a waste of time and money.

I do have some optimism that there is more to come:
  • The Air11's have an Over-the-air update, like the Air10s. But unlike the Air10s, ResMed is actually taking advantage of the OTA updates for regular patching and updates.
  • Implementing the same cellular mechanism as the Air10s, was easy to implement, established, bug-free and quick. Exactly what they needed to rush out the Air11, and then follow through with an OTA update later on, with a more feature-rich Bluetooth implementation.
  • ResMed pays a lot to implement a cellular solution in hardware, and m2m licensing. A properly implemented Bluetooth solution, for both user app data and upload to ResMed and Medical team usage, could save them a lot of money.
I predict an OTA upgrade giving more Bluetooth functionality, and eventually data-transfer to the App, eventually removing the need for cullular access.

I doubt it.
1) Not everyone has a smartphone.
2) BT can be unreliable and prone to un-pairing.
3) moving away from the cell network entails re-doing the back end to respond to internet delivered data. That costs money.
4) The cell implementation is completely out of user's hands. Foolproof

People here are self selected. We are more tech savvy than a lot of the CPAP using population. Do you want to be the one explaining how to download the app, set up an account, pair the phone with the machine? Or how to connect the machine to the home WiFi?

chriscowles

Post by chriscowles » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:51 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:17 am
I thought this might have been discussed, but I can't find it. If it was, I apologize. For the first time in my (fairly long) life, I have a vacation home for weekends and summer vacations. I am trying to minimize the amount of schlepping that I have to do, and I'm considering the idea of purchasing a weekend APAP. This leads me to a few questions:

1. In general, is this a good idea? Bad idea? What are the considerations? ...
We started out (me first, wife later) with Phillips SystemOnes. We replaced those after several years with Airset 10s for home use and relegated the SystemOnes to our travel trailer, where they stay.

That arrangement worked well because the SystemOnes are 12V where the AS10s are 24V and we already had the 12V DC adapters. We use them on 12V all the time, with or without access to AC power, in case the campground has a power failure in the middle of the night.

We just received our DreamStation 2 recall replacements. They also operate on 12V so we don't have to buy new adapters. I did have to use a Dremel to shape the rubber on the machine end of the cord for clearance. I did not weaken it in any way.

We both have AirMinis have other forms of travel. I was happy to learn the power adapters are multi-voltage and will work on our coming trip to Iberia. I only need a plug adapter, not a voltage converter.

Each of the devices uses a different app so I can use them all on the same phone, but I really only use the AirMini app, and not much of that. They all just work and I sleep well.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:06 pm

Thanks, everyone! This has been very helpful. I've ordered an AS11, which I will use as my home machine, and I'll move my AS10 out to the vacation home.
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Jeffj318

Post by Jeffj318 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:12 am

Two machines are a great idea. Why pack up a CPAP machine if you don't have to? I would just look at the screen on the second one for information as needed or use OSCAR.
Resmed Airsense 10 For Her set on the For Her mode.
Phillips Dreamwear nasal cushion mask
My wife is the CPAP user.