Got new machine; swap out now or wait?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
desiderata

Got new machine; swap out now or wait?

Post by desiderata » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:16 pm

I didn't have a backup machine, so when insurance covered a new machine I got one. The old one probably has 1-3 years worth of use in it. I'm trying to decide whether to keep using the old one until it stops working or switch to the new one now and save the old one as a backup. Inviting your experiences/thoughts about this.TIA

ozij

Re: Got new machine; swap out now or wait?

Post by ozij » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:34 pm

Identical machines?
Even if they are, try out the new one for a week or so, to see if it's working properly - you don't want to discover that just when you need it.
Even If they're absolutely identical, I suggest you use the new one, at least until the warranty run's out, just in case.

For me, I switched from a very old machine to a new one - and the new on ran into a problem 1.5 years into its warranty time. I was very glad I had the older machine (that had never run into problems) while the new one was being fixed under warranty.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:13 pm

desiderata wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:16 pm
I didn't have a backup machine, so when insurance covered a new machine I got one. The old one probably has 1-3 years worth of use in it. I'm trying to decide whether to keep using the old one until it stops working or switch to the new one now and save the old one as a backup. Inviting your experiences/thoughts about this.TIA
First off you did the right thing. Everyone should have a backup of everything you need to sleep.
Unfortunately, you don't provide any info about the make & model of either cpap. Ideally, I would want both to be the same unless there are recall things with the old cpap.

But for sure follow Ozij's excellent advise. It's always wise to make sure any spares are in working order and set to the desired pressures and comfort settings.

Take the time now to add your equipment to your signature.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

desiderata

Post by desiderata » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:07 pm

Good point about the warranty.

Same make and model machines. New one didn't come with a data card. Will it work to just put the card in the new machine, or do I have to do anything else? I save the data to both SleepyHead and the manufacturer's program.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:27 pm

desiderata wrote: Good point about the warranty.

Same make and model machines. New one didn't come with a data card. Will it work to just put the card in the new machine, or do I have to do anything else? I save the data to both SleepyHead and the manufacturer's program.
Short answer: Yes

Long answer (important):
  1. Backup your SleepyHead database
  2. Upgrade SleepyHead to the latest version of OSCAR (that's the newer version of SleepyHead)
  3. Let OSCAR do whatever it has to to upgrade the database - read the instructions
  4. Make sure your latest data from the OLD machine is read by OSCAR
  5. After everything looks OK in OSCAR, consider creating a new profile for the new machine - my OSCAR couldn't handle two different Resmed machines, and this was my solution
  6. Now you can insert the SD card in the new machine, it will reformat it and use it. All previous data on the card will be lost
  7. Start importing the data from the new machine to the new profile

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:55 am

when this happens to me, I use the new machine nightly, and the old machine becomes my backup machine.

Sheriff

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:17 am

You need to eat up the warranty on the new machine. After the warranty expires, keep using the new machine. If it doesn't seem to work so well after five years, having high machine hours might make it easier to get insurance approval for a new machine.

I take my backup machine out to use about once per quarter to make sure it still works well.

SD cards are cheap. Keep one in each machine.

desiderata

Post by desiderata » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 pm

I don't have the time or bandwidth to do anything with this OSCAR program for at least a month. Haven't kept up to date on that development, plus figuring out where files are to backup, etc, etc.

I uploaded the card data from the old machine to my computer. Put the card in the new machine. Do I have to create a new profile in SleepyHead for data from the new machine? Do I do that the first time I run SleepyHead after putting in the card with new machine data?

Ditto for ResScan?

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:48 am

desiderata wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 pm
I don't have the time or bandwidth to do anything with this OSCAR program for at least a month.
It's based on SleepyHead, nothing new for you to learn.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 am

desiderata wrote:
Do I have to create a new profile in SleepyHead for data from the new machine?
I create a separate profile for each machine. It's a personal preference.
desiderata wrote:
Do I do that the first time I run SleepyHead after putting in the card with new machine data?
If you decide to create a separate profile for your new machine, do it before you import any data from the new machine. Be sure to select the new machine when you open SH.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:30 pm

My older Autoset 10 was four years old when I decided to get a new Autoset 10 a few weeks ago. I immediately set up the new machine to use it that night. When I did, my wife and I noticed immediately how much quieter the new machine was. I hadn't realized how noisy the four-year-old machine had become, since it happened gradually.

I use an ancient 8 for travel, because I like the form and toughness of it. But I think maybe I should start following Granny's example and testing out my other backup machines once in a while just to make sure they still function well. Kinda like checking the batteries and functionality of stashed flashlights and comms.

Thanks for that reminder, CG.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:44 pm

lazarus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:30 pm
I should start following Granny's example
... in all things.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:44 pm
lazarus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:30 pm
I should start following Granny's example
... in all things.
I especially aspire one day to reaching that extreme pinnacle of exemplary humility!
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

desiderata

Post by desiderata » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:04 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 am
I create a separate profile for each machine. It's a personal preference.
Is that so you can better track how a particular machine might be influencing the treatment?

Sounds like if I select my current profile it will simply append the data from the new machine.