Most comfortable Mask for BIPAP.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snorenomore2016

Most comfortable Mask for BIPAP.

Post by snorenomore2016 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm

Can anyone give me suggestions on what the most comfortable nasal mask would be to use with a BIPAP machine. I understand the pressure can be higher than a CPAP. The hospital gave my sister a full face mask which is very uncomfortable.

Thank you!
Last edited by snorenomore2016 on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Re: Most comfortable Mask for BIPAP.

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:49 pm

The machine you are using has no relationship to the mask choice. Whatever mask you are comfortable with should work. Everyone is different. (Where have I heard that before)?

Hornnumb2

Post by Hornnumb2 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:06 pm

Love my Resmed P10

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Any mask can work with most any machine or pressure--but not with any face.
Masks need to fit the FACE---PERIOD!!!
Any provider that claims otherwise has crap to unload.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:38 pm

snorenomore2016 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm
Can anyone give me suggestions on what the most comfortable nasal mask would be to use with a BIPAP machine. I understand the pressure can be higher than a CPAP. The hospital gave me a full face mask which is very uncomfortable.

Thank you!
1) While a BiPAP can be set to use higher pressure than a CPAP, that doesn't mean a BiPAP will be set to run at a higher pressure than 20cm, which is the max for a CPAP/APAP.

2) The most comfortable nasal mask is in the nose and face of the mask user. Different people have different facial structures and different requirements of what they need for the mask to be comfortable on their particular face.

Start by thinking about what you most dislike about the full face mask you were given. Is it the weight? Any nasal mask is going to be lighter on the face. Is it the forehead support? Some nasal masks (and some full face masks) don't have forehead supports anymore. Is it where the exhaust vents are? Then look at the placement of the exhaust vents on any mask that you try on. Is it that the tech who fitted you tightened the headgear to the point where it hurts? Then the problem is quite likely the tech did a lousy job of fitting the mask and the headgear and loosening the headgear may make the mask much more comfortable. Is it problems with leaks? Full face masks are harder to seal because they have a larger footprint, and any nasal mask may be easier for you to get sealed properly.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

snorenomore2016

Post by snorenomore2016 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:04 pm

Yes. The tech was horrible. It was my sister in the hospital. The mask left terrible bruises and sores on her nose and face that had to be treated by the wound care team several times. As a long time CPAP (APAP) user, I remember that a nasal mask, like a ResMed Mirage Activa, was far more comfortable than a full face mask. I just didn't know if she needed a full face mask because it was a BIPAP machine.

Since the hospital's respiratory tech only came late at night when I wasn't there, I never got to discuss this with the tech..

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:09 pm

I use a bilevel machine. I use a N-20 nasal mask. I couldn't get a full face mask to seal correctly.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:33 pm

I could never tolerate full face masks that go up to the bridge of my nose.
Modern full face CPAP masks go below your mouth, and then touch your nostrils from below - technically they are called "hybrid" masks.
They're light, soft and and do not touch the bridge of your nose at all.
For example: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear

You don't say if you sister is using her own bi-level machine.
Hosptial ventilators have a bi-level (bi-pap) options. I don't know if their hoses and masks - let alone pressure levels - are in any way compatible with the equipment meant for home use.

A further possible issue: if you sister is getting oxygen supplied through the mask in addition to the pressurized air from the hospital system. In that case, you'd have to find out where the oxygen is inserted into the system.

Did your sister get a bi-pap subscription to be used for sleep? If so, buy the equipment now, and try to get the hospital to agree to its use instead of the hospital equipment.

I would even consider bringing along a hybrid mask to show them how it sits on your face. It's possible the hospital respiratory therapists may never have seen them. And maybe you can get the wound care team to be your allies in the plan to switch to a more comfortable mask.

Good luck to you and your sister!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Coatimundi

Post by Coatimundi » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:58 am

See the mask in my signature. It is still available via online sellers. It is good if you have a big head like me but comes in smaller sizes. I haven't had a real issue with mask leak. I control mouth leak by means of mouth taping.

Slumberseeker

Post by Slumberseeker » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Hi,

I have found the F&P Evora Full Face Mask which is a hybrid to be the most comfortable. I was sent a Vitera with my machine but that full face mask left bridge of nose irritated and red. Tried a Resmed F30 hybrid which was not bad but found Evora to be most comfortable, with good seal. Nasal masks did not work for me as tend to mouth breath too although did not try chin strap or tape as was satisfied with the hybrid. Good luck finding best mask for your sister.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:14 am

snorenomore2016 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm
Can anyone give me suggestions on what the most comfortable nasal mask would be to use with a BIPAP machine. I understand the pressure can be higher than a CPAP. The hospital gave my sister a full face mask which is very uncomfortable.
I like the P10 or Bleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

seattlepap

Post by seattlepap » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:51 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:33 pm
That's why the masks have adjustments and different sized fittings.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:55 am

seattlepap wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:51 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:33 pm
That's why the masks have adjustments and different sized fittings.
And yet, the generic settings on any one particular mask do not properly fit all faces.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:12 am

I compare corporate treatment of faces and feet.
Most masks only have three lousy sizes, maybe four.
Yet there are far many facial variations than mask designers ever consider.
If shoes only came in so few sizes, most of us would be running around barefoot.
Will it take a hundred years before there is a mask for EVERY face?
That is wrong on so many levels.