Battery backup for my cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RE144

Battery backup for my cpap

Post by RE144 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:53 pm

So I have been using a black and Decker power mate 400 for a backup when power is out or for camping...

It has been fine and done well for many years.... but last night the power was out and I used it for a good nights rest.... But today I put it on charge and the two reds came on but that is it.

Not getting the green and it has been on charge all day long.... I am afraid it has gone and went to battery heaven.. :(

So after searching the internet I find it is very difficult if not impossible to get a battery replacement and then actually get this monstrous unit apart and install a new battery.

So if someone could tell me what is everyone using for a battery backup it would save my many hours of trying to figure it out ....I am not worried about cost just something that won't screw up my CPAP machine and give me Sleep Well At Night when power is out......

Any suggestions ????
ResMed Airsense 11 with climate control line and heated humidifier
ResMed Air Touch F20

SleepGeek

Re: Battery backup for my cpap

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:26 pm

RE144 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:53 pm
So after searching the internet I find it is very difficult if not impossible to get a battery replacement and then actually get this monstrous unit apart and install a new battery.
If this B&D is what I think it is - its not really that hard to replace the battery.
RE144 wrote:
So if someone could tell me what is everyone using for a battery backup it would save my many hours of trying to figure it out
You will get a variety of opinions when it comes to batteries on this forum. But using the Advanced Search at the top of the Home Page you can drill down. Or just use google using any "search term" cpaptalk.com

BEWARE: Any battery or other item that has *cpap* in the description the price seems to automatically go UP.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=battery

Welcome to this zoo
Last edited by SleepGeek on Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:41 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:26 pm

Welcome to this zoo
imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery.

and re144 joined 11/09/21.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:34 pm

RE144 wrote:
So I have been using a black and Decker power mate 400 for a backup when power is out or for camping...

It has been fine and done well for many years.... but last night the power was out and I used it for a good nights rest.... But today I put it on charge and the two reds came on but that is it.

Not getting the green and it has been on charge all day long.... I am afraid it has gone and went to battery heaven.. :(

So if someone could tell me what is everyone using for a battery backup it would save my many hours of trying to figure it out ....I am not worried about cost just something that won't screw up my CPAP machine and give me Sleep Well At Night when power is out......

Any suggestions ????
I don't understand your 'problem".

Those batteries don't last forever and have to be replaced at some point.

Just did a search on your unit and found lots of links for replacement batteries.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... s-mnet-001

Where we live, we have very dependable, stable power to our home. I have my CPAPs and computers plugged into battery backup UPS devices for the very rare instance when the power may have a momentary drop or very brief outage......and that's all. we don't go camping anymore and haven't since long before I tarted using this therapy.
If you have a different set of cirumstances, you may want to talk to your power company and/or look into a Generac backup system.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:33 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:41 pm
SleepGeek wrote:

Welcome to this zoo

it used to say "if you can choose to be anything, why not choose to be kind?"
:D
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:33 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:33 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:41 pm
SleepGeek wrote:

Welcome to this zoo

it used to say "if you can choose to be anything, why not choose to be kind?"
:D
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:46 pm

Look at your CPAP specs one for watts, for regular and one for with humidity (about 2x)
pick yours and figure out how many hours you want to use it to get sleep 8?10?
multiply the watts from the first line by the number of hours and get watt hours (battery speak)
if you are using a source that uses lithium batteries then multiply by 1.2 and you need a unit rated for that this type will get you 2,000 cycles
if you are lead acid, trolling, AGM, or the like multiple by 1.5 at least *this type will get you about 500 cycles"

Get a unit that gives you pure sine wave output on the inverter and you will be good to go. don't skimp because it will shut down early. Also check to make sure that hte unit will recharge in enough time to do it again if needed. most people think that a 100W flexible solar panel will be enough, not even close. Take your number from above and divide it by 3-4 and you need that size of panel on a sunny day to fully recharge it

oh and inverter watts is not storage capacity watts hours. you want watt hours for battery life and watts is for what can you power, not for how long
Sleeping MUCH better now

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:47 am

PoolQ wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:46 pm
Look at your CPAP specs one for watts, for regular and one for with humidity (about 2x)
pick yours and figure out how many hours you want to use it to get sleep 8?10?
multiply the watts from the first line by the number of hours and get watt hours (battery speak)
if you are using a source that uses lithium batteries then multiply by 1.2 and you need a unit rated for that this type will get you 2,000 cycles
if you are lead acid, trolling, AGM, or the like multiple by 1.5 at least *this type will get you about 500 cycles"

Get a unit that gives you pure sine wave output on the inverter and you will be good to go. don't skimp because it will shut down early. Also check to make sure that hte unit will recharge in enough time to do it again if needed. most people think that a 100W flexible solar panel will be enough, not even close. Take your number from above and divide it by 3-4 and you need that size of panel on a sunny day to fully recharge it

oh and inverter watts is not storage capacity watts hours. you want watt hours for battery life and watts is for what can you power, not for how long
This is a brilliant explainer.

I get confused though when they start talking about amp hours.

Also, what about lithium iron phosphate batteries? Those are fast charge are they not? And can last up to like 5000 charges?

Sorry I am not the OP but I am trying very hard to learn. Me personally I would not want a lead battery I would rather go with one of the lithium/ion/fepo4.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Iamstumped

Post by Iamstumped » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:26 am

RE144 wrote:

Any suggestions ????
I use the PO160UPS that I purchased from our sponsor www.cpap.com
All you do is plug the PO160UPS into the wall outlet, then plug the power cord, that came with your machine, into the PO160UPS.
If necessary, you can plug 2 PO160UPS batteries in line to have more than 8-10 hours of use.
Bing, bang, boom, you're done. Go to sleep.

You can also find it on www.portableoutlet.com

RE144

Post by RE144 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:49 pm

Iamstumped wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:26 am
RE144 wrote:

Any suggestions ????
I use the PO160UPS that I purchased from our sponsor www.cpap.com
All you do is plug the PO160UPS into the wall outlet, then plug the power cord, that came with your machine, into the PO160UPS.
If necessary, you can plug 2 PO160UPS batteries in line to have more than 8-10 hours of use.
Bing, bang, boom, you're done. Go to sleep.

You can also find it on www.portableoutlet.com
Thank You, THANK You, THANK YOU !!!!

This is exactly what I was looking... someone who is using a battery backup and it is working fine for them and dosen't screw up the CPAP machine......

A Great answer,,,,, Product name and where to buy it.... Again Thank YOU...

Some of the other answers were great for someone who is mechanically inclined or someone who wants to understand electricity... That someone is NOT me... I just needed a proven workable product...

A nice Thank You to this forum... it covered all the bases in answering my question....

For those who were wondering,,, I liked what I was using it had just used up its serviceable life.. I didn't expect it to last forever and I just wanted a replacement product..I did not want to go through changing the battery or anything else..just a new battery backup
ResMed Airsense 11 with climate control line and heated humidifier
ResMed Air Touch F20

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:58 pm

RE144 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:49 pm
just a new battery backup
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089T4D3TW/re ... tries%2A=0
They are here to help.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:22 pm

Using one similar to the one linked below and it works well. Can be used as 120vac (pure sine) supply or 12vdc for CPAP's that use that voltage with a proper cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable ... 122&sr=8-1