Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyCPAP

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by SleepyCPAP » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm

I notice that in Australia the recommendation is to talk with your doctor about whether or not to continue using it.
“ Together with your physician, determine if the benefit of continuing therapy with your device outweighs the risks identified and discuss alternative long-term therapy options.”
That is different from telling US folks to stop using it.

Also “ It is strongly recommended that you do not attempt to remove the foam yourself and then continue using your device. ”

https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/philips-re ... entilators

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm

For anyone who has doubts about the foam in the System Ones not being in the path in the airway, I give you exhibit B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UTC4R18jI
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

SusanWink

Post by SusanWink » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Captain_Midnight wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Well, I happen to have an acquaintance with the science of Toxicology, and I agree with your point CG.

Wondering if you’ve had a chance to read everything and reach any conclusions.

Maybe your knowledge of toxicology will provide an answer to a question about the offgassing issue. Can there be offgassing with no evidence of particles? Could particles be a clue that offgassing is likely?

Thank you!!

JulieC

Post by JulieC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 pm

I read that some on Medicare, with Apria, have been able to get replacement machines- not so with me (yet). I have Medicare and got my Dreamstation from Apria Dec 2017 (i.e., less than 5 years ago). I spoke with Medicare who said that Apria had the responsibility to repair or replace (in this case replace) the machine and that they can’t charge me. This was per Medicare’s contract with Apria. I then called Apria to confirm, and they routed me to the “recall department”. I was told that Medicare is wrong because there was nothing about recalls in their agreement with Medicare. And that they were “waiting to hear from Philips” re what to do.

I called Medicare back. They told me Apria is wrong and my issue will be elevated to the “advanced resolution center” and they’d get back to me within a week.

On my last sleep study my AHI was only 11 but during REM it’s 44 with desaturation down to 62%, so obviously I need to use the CPAP regularly to hold on to what brain cells I have left at my age!! I have an appointment with sleep doc tomorrow to get a renewed prescription (I was overdue anyway) and find out what he recommends I do. My conversation with Apria reminded me of how much I dislike that company and can’t wait to switch… but not until they take care of me in whatever way is legally required.

I haven’t read through everything on this thread but thought others might have experienced the same or have suggestions for me.

Thanks for listening!
Julie
Venice, CA

DonO

Post by DonO » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am

So, I've been following this thread. I watched several videos on how to remove the foam and decided the least damaging way was to use a coat hanger to fish it out of the plastic case. Then, I put everything back together. Tested the unit and the air blowing out was way to strong. It was very difficult to exhale. Went into Therapy mode and adjusted and adjusted and lowered the pressure to the minimum allowable by the device. It still was way too strong to use. BTW, the foam was melting and felt like a gooey mess.

After several attempts to get the pressure to a usable level, finally gave up. Just called the doc had him send a new script over to my DME. Then called the DME and said I wanted to come pick it up. They said to pay online, then they would call me to come get it. I'm paying out of pocket for a Res Med with humidifier to the tune of $758. When Philips gets their act together, I'll send in their unit for repair or replacement and use it as a back up. For me, it is worth it. Waiting a year is not an option. I'm already tired and my blood pressure is starting to go up.

Just wanted to alert folks that removing that foam may not work.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:34 am

DonO wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am
So, I've been following this thread. I watched several videos on how to remove the foam and decided the least damaging way was to use a coat hanger to fish it out of the plastic case. Then, I put everything back

…BTW, the foam was melting and felt like a gooey mess.
Can you please post some pictures of the foam??
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:58 pm

DonO wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am
So, I've been following this thread. I watched several videos on how to remove the foam and decided the least damaging way was to use a coat hanger to fish it out of the plastic case. Then, I put everything back together. Tested the unit and the air blowing out was way to strong. It was very difficult to exhale. Went into Therapy mode and adjusted and adjusted and lowered the pressure to the minimum allowable by the device. It still was way too strong to use. BTW, the foam was melting and felt like a gooey mess.
Then you didn't get it sealed back up right.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Suenyo

Post by Suenyo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Palerider don't be so sure. My Respironics 560 was blowing so hard a year and a half ago that I decided to switch. I went with an Resmed Autoset and it turned my life completely around! I have to wonder though if I have lungs full of old foam. In fact, for years I swear that machine blew too hard. I could never stand to have it on my face for more than at absolute max 3.5 hours and most of the time it was less than 3. I hated that damn machine and when I got the Resmed and turned it on I was like "Is it running"? I couldn't hear it and barely felt the air; it was so relaxing I can easily sleep 6 hours and have done 8 several times. Changed my life for the better.

I ought to open that old machine up and see how much that foam has shrunk and how much has blown down into my lungs although I don't really think any came out. It would have been evident in the humidifier and I never saw anything funny,, but for six months it did feel like it was blowing harder and harder and it probably had been creeping up even before that. Maybe from day one.

Hey hoseheads! Start documenting your experience with those Phillips Respironics machines. There may be a class action lawsuit in our future. :D :D :D
Last edited by Suenyo on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a dream…if I'm wearing my Resmed AirTouch F20 cushion and my Autosense 10 Autoset isn't being hijacked by some dung-eating state security troll.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Suenyo wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Palerider don't be so sure. My Respironics 560 was blowing so hard a year and a half ago that I decided to switch. I went with an Resmed Autoset and it turned my life completely around! I have to wonder though if I have lungs full of old foam.
Sounds like your machine was ailing or failing 1 1/2 years ago and just age related probably. They do fail.
But when someone has a machine and they take it apart to remove the foam and it was blowing normally prior to the foam removal and once put back together it isn't blowing like it should .....they didn't get it back together correctly.
Removal of the foam shouldn't affect the blower....now messing with the sensors accidentally while taking it apart or putting it back together again....sure might affect the blower.

Any perceived "blowing" or air pressure changes should be verified by a manometer though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:17 pm

WONDERFUL NEWS FOR THOSE ON MEDICARE!!

On another site, I read that a man had heard that Medicare might be willing to supply new pap machines to those whose machines were part of the Philips recall. So, I called United Healthcare with whom we have a brand new Medicare Advantage PPO policy. (We just got Medicare this month, as my husband retired in June.) They researched a little then told me that yes, it's true. The wonderful woman assisting me called my DME on a three-way phone call and we got it all arranged. My husband and I will both be receiving brand new Resmed Airsense 10 machines as soon as they have them back in stock. I'm so happy!!!! :D

P.S. Neither of our machines is old enough to be replaced in the ordinary course of things.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 am

So, great, taxpayers could potentially be on the hook to pay a few hundred million dollars to prematurely replace recalled CPAP machines. My insurance company bought me a Dreamstation 18 months ago. I bought my own Resmed Airsense 10 autoset with cash. I didn't even try to see if they would cover another replacement.

DMZABO

Post by DMZABO » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Update!

The dreamstation 1 machine that I’ve now modified is working just fine. Though I had to lower my sleep settings 5 (pts) from a maximum of 25 to 20. To compensate for the additional air flow due to the removal of the dreaded foam. My numbers were at about what I usually average. 2.0 to 2.7 the last couple of nights. I’m happy with my choice and hopefully everything stays hunky-dory !
I’ll keep posting Updates !

No rants today about Phillips. lol

Additional Comments: Dream station cellular modem
Just when you think you’ve seen it all , you really haven’t! :shock:

Dreamstation model # DSX700T11C Bi/PAP Auto bi-Flex
Dreamwear full face mask cushion
Humidifier-3* tube heat-1*

Modified Swim goggles for the dry eyes buster!

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm

The past few months while using my Dreamstation auto my 955 presure as well as my AHI have ben rising.
My last 3 month averages were 95% presure of 18 ans AHI of 8.8. So my Dr. ordered me a Resmed Aircurve10 Vauto.
But when I heard of the recall I hooked up an old S8 Autoser Vantage and it gave me an AHI of about 5 with a 95%
presure of 13. Then I connedted a S9 Elite set to a fixed presure of 15 and it is giving me an AHI of about 4 heck
I just took a little 2 hr nap and got an AHI of 0. So earlier today I picked up a Resmed Aircurve10 Vauto set in bipap
mode 24 inhale and 20 exhale somehow I don't think I will need all that presure but it was to late to get in touch
with the DR. Oh I know how to change the settings but don't want to do it on my own till the dreaded compliance
period is over. Lets see In the past 14 years I have never used my cpap less than 6 hrs a night so that should't be
all that hard.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:16 am

Woody wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm
Oh I know how to change the settings but don't want to do it on my own till the dreaded compliance
period is over.
Changing the pressure settings does not affect compliance. Your insurance company or Medicare doesn't care what your pressure settings are. They don't even know what pressure settings are for.