Resmed S9 adapter to battery power-bank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tilt

Resmed S9 adapter to battery power-bank

Post by tilt » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am

Greetings.

I have a battery power-bank for my S9, this was made by Resmed and was extremely expensive. And it is now old and is dying - I need to replace it.

Rather than spending enormous amounts of money for a Resmed power-bank I wanted to buy some other one. However, Resmed has a proprietary power connector at the battery-end.

Since normal power banks only come with USB, I was wondering if adapters were available from USB to CPAP.

There are huge power-backups like the MAX something, but I am looking at a small portable power-bank, something like the ones used to charge a laptop or phones or iPads etc.

I tried searching online using all variations of terms I could think of, but I am unable to form the right phrase to search for such an adapter, and therefore am here asking for help. Please tell me what it is I should search for to see results in google or duckduckgo etc.

Thank you and cheers

tilt

Re: Resmed S9 adapter to battery power-bank

Post by tilt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:50 am

tilt wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am
Greetings.

I have a battery power-bank for my S9, this was made by Resmed and was extremely expensive. And it is now old and is dying - I need to replace it.

Rather than spending enormous amounts of money for a Resmed power-bank I wanted to buy some other one. However, Resmed has a proprietary power connector at the battery-end.

Since normal power banks only come with USB, I was wondering if adapters were available from USB to CPAP.

There are huge power-backups like the MAX something, but I am looking at a small portable power-bank, something like the ones used to charge a laptop or phones or iPads etc.

I tried searching online using all variations of terms I could think of, but I am unable to form the right phrase to search for such an adapter, and therefore am here asking for help. Please tell me what it is I should search for to see results in google or duckduckgo etc.

Thank you and cheers
Wow, almost three weeks and no responses. I just be looking for something the does not exist I suppose.

Cheer

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:08 am

tilt wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am
Greetings.

No. USB is 5 volts, cpaps are 12-24 volt depending on brand, and pull way more watts than USB can provide. Maybe USBC, but power banks don't have that much power in them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cpap626

Post by cpap626 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am

This is the cheapest one I could find. you need something that is 24 volts. you would have to trace the pinout on the ResMed machine as well to make an adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-PB240 ... 264&sr=8-6

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Palerider and Cpap626, thank you for responding and being helpful :)

This is what I have and this is no longer available in India - This is by Resmed made for the S9. This size is what I am looking at. The idea is for me to be able to carry it on board an aeroplane as part of carry-on bags. This fits inside the S9 carry-case perfectly along with everything else and does not bulge out.

https://be8c5029833240ca9038-8a2c38c894 ... rps-ii.jpg

Thank you and cheers

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:29 pm

cpap626 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am
This is the cheapest one I could find. you need something that is 24 volts. you would have to trace the pinout on the ResMed machine as well to make an adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-PB240 ... 264&sr=8-6
That adaptor for the proprietary pin out was what I was looking for also in case I have to make do with a normal power-bank/power-backup etc.

Thank you once again and cheers

-tim

Post by -tim » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:57 am

The power supply talks to the S9 so if you don't have the correct power supply, it won't work.

Your best bet is to find a used power supply.

I have an old S9 that I use off batteries but the S10 needs yet another different expensive adapter.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:48 pm

I've seen one or two other expen$ive CPAP power supplies that are about that size and don't require the 12v Resmed adapter, while not quite as expensive as the Resmed one, they are still $$$.

If you have any friends that are good with electronics, they may be able to open up the one you have, and put new cells in it for WAY less money.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:33 am

-tim wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:57 am
The power supply talks to the S9 so if you don't have the correct power supply, it won't work.

Your best bet is to find a used power supply.

I have an old S9 that I use off batteries but the S10 needs yet another different expensive adapter.
Thank you. Unfortunately it is not possible to find such things used. Hell, it is not even available new from Resmed any longer, at least not here in India.

Cheers

Carrawa

Post by Carrawa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am

Do you have electrical capability to open it, check the battery or type, and replace them with like?

Second if you do, a video pull down/tear down video or pictures would be great unless you know of a post or someone who has done it before and posted it.

tilt

Post by tilt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:55 am

Carrawa wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am
Do you have electrical capability to open it, check the battery or type, and replace them with like?

Second if you do, a video pull down/tear down video or pictures would be great unless you know of a post or someone who has done it before and posted it.
Unfortunately I do not. I guess I shall have to go to a professional who does cell-phone repairs and have them do this. However, that stage has not come yet.

Cheers

HD4Mark

Post by HD4Mark » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 am

Are there any businesses that specialize in batteries there? There is one near me over here that sells almost any battery you can imagine and rebuilds some rechargeable stuff. Replacing just the cells seems like the only way to go if it's possible. I'm sure they made it so it is difficult to disassemble though.

tilt

Post by tilt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 am

HD4Mark wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 am
Are there any businesses that specialize in batteries there? There is one near me over here that sells almost any battery you can imagine and rebuilds some rechargeable stuff. Replacing just the cells seems like the only way to go if it's possible. I'm sure they made it so it is difficult to disassemble though.
There are people who specialize in selling automotive batteries; but for anything else like replacing electronics batteries one has to go to these cell-phone repair shops. Even those would have access to buy knock-off phone batteries, but something like power-bank batteries - there's no one.

Cheers