Using Cpap during a Vertigo attack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dori

Re: Using Cpap during a Vertigo attack

Post by Dori » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 am

Thanks Slartybartfast. Its encouraging to know you had this but that it subsided and you are now able to get on with your life. It's also good to know that cpap use didnt seem to aggravate it. I can relate exactly to the feelings that you're going to fall out of bed or thrown onto the ground when the spinning starts and grabbing onto anything nearby to hold on. It's as scary as can be.

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm

I had vertigo when my dr. prescribed an NSAID I wasn't used to, when the NSAID I usually used wasn't available. I think I had a reaction to the new NSAID that caused vertigo. Before I figured that out, when switched back to my old NSAID, I was referred to an audiologist. I didn't have a vertigo episode while I was in the doctor's office, and he told me to call and come in when I was having a vertigo episode. Just mentioning this in case you may have changed any of your medicines or nutritional supplements, in case that is what is causing vertigo. You might also look into seeing an audiologist. I hope determination of the cause and correction of your vertigo occurs soon.

Maryland CPAPer
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 am

Dori wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 am
Dori
Movieman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:38 pm
Movieman
--------------------->
... triggering BPPV is not an issue with CPAP. In fact, by improving the oxygen supply to the balance centers of the brain, treatment of OSA has been shown to improve balance problems in some people.

- Dr. Keith Roach

https://www.staugustine.com/entertainme ... er-vertigo

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 pm

This is really off-topic from the original poster, but there seem to be some fellow vertigo victims here so I am seizing the opportunity to pick your brains!

In March 2013, when I pretty much certainly was suffering from undiagnosed and untreated apnea, I had a particularly bizarre attack of vertigo and I've never seen any descriptions of anything similar out there. Warning -- this is totally a TMI posting!

I woke up on a Saturday morning with my back teeth floating (classic untreated apnea) but also the room was spinning. I gingerly got out of bed and to the bathroom where I also had one of those "dump" bm's (sorry TMI). Still dizzy, I crept back into bed, but the vertigo got worse and worse. Along with the vertigo I had really strong nausea. So I'm sitting up in bed holding on to the empty wastebasket pretty sure that I'm going to puke. When the puke came it was quite strange:

1) Normally when you puke or even have a little reflux it's nasty-tasting burning stomach acid that comes up with food. This had no food (not that surprising since I hadn't eaten since the day before) but weird is that it was tasteless and NOT acidic at all -- basically a small amount of water washing up.

2) This is the totally strange thing -- as each of the 3 or 4 waves of uncontrolled and uncontrollable stuff came up and out of my mouth, I had a completely synchronized and equally uncontrollable "squirt" of urine. (I was wearing an incontinence pad. I know, more TMI.)

I realized that I should have gone to the ER at this point, and if my husband hadn't gone downstairs after handing me the wastebasket and had been in the room when it happened he probably would have bundled me off there! But the room was still spinning, I was still nauseous, and I was totally focused on simply enduring each second as it came. Eventually I was able to fall back asleep and after a short nap I woke up with the vertigo gone. It was the weekend, whatever the heck happened seemed gone, and I never did anything about it except for taking myself off zetia because it has dizzyness as a side effect.

Over the years I've tried searching to see if what I experienced has a name or an explanation or even a description, and I've never seen anything remotely like it. I know from my ancient-past college and high school biology classes that both vomiting and involuntary urination come from the same kinds of muscles and parts of the nervous system.

Another piece of the puzzle -- two days before the Saturday am vertigo attack I had a bizarre dream (yeah, there's that untreated sleep apnea at work!) In my dream I was awake and lying in bed. (Nothing good ever comes from a dream where you are awake in bed!) In my dream I really had to pee (again, that was my life of having my bladder fill after apneas -- you guys all know this drill!) So somewhere in my dream I got it in my head that I needed to jump out of bed and run to the bathroom. Which I did for real. I'm not sure what happened, but when I jumped out of bed I think that I slipped on a rug or lost my balance or something, and I fell and slammed my hand into the nightstand. Bottom line is that I found myself on the toilet, in excruciating pain, and REALLY confused about what just happened. (And I didn't even have to pee after all...) So that means that the morning before my vertigo incident I was in the clinic, getting an x-ray, being told that I had done about the maximum amount of damage to my finger that could be done without breaking it. It was my right middle finger, so I spent the next two months with a splint on my finger giving everyone the bird! I was wearing the splint on my finger during the vertigo incident.

I have wondered over the years if the dream and the fall were another attack of vertigo and related to what happened two days later. And wondered if any of this had anything to do with apnea.

So, any of you fellow vertigo victims -- have you ever experienced anything like that puke/pee synchronization? Any idea what it could possibly have been? It's all hopefully idle curiosity for me, but maybe someone else would be helped by information?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm

If you had Googled side FX of Zetia you would have seen this (on Web MD)

"This drug may increase the risk of liver damage (when taken with a "statin") or muscle damage when taken with a fibrate or "statin". Tell your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: signs of liver problems (such as severe stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine), muscle pain/tenderness/weakness (especially with fever or unusual tiredness).

I don't think you necessarily had actual vertigo, but a reaction to the meds.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:35 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 am
Dori wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 am
Dori
Movieman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:38 pm
Movieman
--------------------->
... triggering BPPV is not an issue with CPAP. In fact, by improving the oxygen supply to the balance centers of the brain, treatment of OSA has been shown to improve balance problems in some people.

- Dr. Keith Roach

https://www.staugustine.com/entertainme ... er-vertigo
I read this article. Thanks Chicago Granny. Hoping continued treatment helps with balance.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 pm

I wonder if the 'vertigo' isn't in fact a side effect of Prolia (or Xvega) if you take it for osteoporosis - it's a known one of those two but not necessarily one your doctor may have mentioned (there are lots) or you may have thought of.