Dry Mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nolongersleepless

Dry Mouth

Post by nolongersleepless » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:25 pm

I have been using a resmed air sense with a nasal pillow successfully for several years and suddenly having trouble. I wake up 2-3 times per night with very dry mouth. The amount of leak has definitely crept up but still well below threshold. Replaced all the gear, still having trouble. I have recently lost some weight and am wondering if it is possible that the pressure is too high? Does that even happen? Any suggestions?

jimbud

Re: Dry Mouth

Post by jimbud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Get Oscar, read the instructions on how to post then post a chart.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

JPB

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:48 pm

nolongersleepless wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:25 pm
I have been using a resmed air sense with a nasal pillow successfully for several years and suddenly having trouble. I wake up 2-3 times per night with very dry mouth. The amount of leak has definitely crept up but still well below threshold. Replaced all the gear, still having trouble. I have recently lost some weight and am wondering if it is possible that the pressure is too high? Does that even happen? Any suggestions?
while we wait for you to post an oscar chart, which will give more information, i have a suggestion to make.

xlyimelts will help. these are over the counter wee discs that you place between tooth and gum. a tacky bit on one side assures it adheres to the tooth. the disc slowly dissolves overnight, promoting saliva and helping sooth your dry mouth.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Any new medications or change in dosage in medications that might be a factor in the dry mouth?
Other health issues? New health issues?

If it's mouth breathing...sometimes it doesn't take but a few minutes to dry out the mouth.

Sometimes it just takes very little mouth breathing to dry out the mouth...it doesn't always show up as a big leak on the reports either.
I have proof...
A while back I woke up and I was mouth breathing and mouth was dry. It was a gentle mouth breathing and not a massive exodus of air out my mouth. I woke up and decided to just lay in bed and continue with the mouth breathing just so I could see what it looked like on a leak graph. So I did it for about 15 minutes or so until I was too bored and needed to go pee....see the leak graph below.
I circled the known mouth breathing time in red. It's a tiny leak...well below any large leak threshold to impair therapy but it sure did dry out my mouth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:07 pm

I will (unnecessarily) ditto that. A little tiny gap with minimal air can really dry out a mouth. When using the Tap Pap, one disadvantage is that it's easy to get a gap right around where the plastic part that attaches to the bite piece. It takes some effort to learn how to keep your mouth closed with tongue pressed (lightly) up on the roof which helps seal.

nolongersleepless

Post by nolongersleepless » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the great advice. I have not used Oscar before this. I have used "my air" which only gives average data. I looked over about the last two weeks and I can see that right before almost all of the times that I have woken up, I have a pretty big leak event, so that makes total sense now. I haven't had any changes to my medications but I did start taking a magnesium supplement at night to help me sleep. I did a little research and magnesium works by helping muscles to relax so I will try not using that for a few nights and see if it makes a difference. I guess I'll have to take up yoga or something to help me relax. You all have been so helpful!

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 pm

nolongersleepless wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:25 pm
You all have been so helpful!
hat-tip.gif
we DO try. :wink:

but keep that oscar software in mind. it's very data rich. now, i don't understand but half of the program myself, but i don't really need to. i know enough to take a screenshot of the graphs then post them to the forum for the smart people to comment on.

continued good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:56 am

nolongersleepless wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank you all for the great advice. I have not used Oscar before this. I have used "my air" which only gives average data. I looked over about the last two weeks and I can see that right before almost all of the times that I have woken up, I have a pretty big leak event, so that makes total sense now. I haven't had any changes to my medications but I did start taking a magnesium supplement at night to help me sleep. I did a little research and magnesium works by helping muscles to relax so I will try not using that for a few nights and see if it makes a difference. I guess I'll have to take up yoga or something to help me relax. You all have been so helpful!
Please note this is NOT a substitute for medical advice, but I use melatonin to help with sleep. I take 3 mg each night, 30 minutes to an hour before I go to sleep. My sleep doctor (and my regular doctor) okayed regular, long-term use. Do check with your doctor, to be sure there are no counterindications. I did have to stop for a while, but was able to restart. I was really glad, as I find it does help me.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

I keep a bottle of drinking water next to my bed.
Easiest solution to a dry mouth.
Apply when needed. 8)
Controlling my blood sugar also helps prevent dry mouth.