New Resmed Move Makes Buying Even Harder

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:16 pm

Paying more when unnesscary is a ID-10-T error.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:34 pm

[quote="Sleepless_in_LM"]DSM,

I appreciate that you provide an alternative viewpoint. Resmed is a good company that produces great products. However, it seems rather black and white, at least to me, that they are making an effort to squash internet sales. It is a business decision and I am not sure it is not in their best interest to do so, but surely you can see why people that want options, especially inexpensive equipment over the internet, would be unhappy with that decision. I have read lots of your posts, but have never really understood why you take issue with those who are offended by Resmed's choice. I certainly am not trying to open old wounds or start a flaming war, but would like to be informed as possible. If you prefer to PM me that would be fine.

Todd (who hopes I am logged in, 'cause if this comes from "guest", yikes )

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:18 pm

viewtopic.php?t=12422
Aug 18, 2006 subject: Audio File of Resmed "Internet Sales are Not a Good Thi topic started by completelyhosed

The audio file mentioned is at:
http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/9/70979.html

In that topic's discussion --

On page 1, a Guest posted: I listened to the audio. So Resmed views internet sales as "bad medicine" and "bad treatment" and contends that internet retailers "don't give a damn if the patient comes back."

On page 2, "guest#99" posted: Resmed's Chairman explained on the audio posted elsewhere that Resmed wanted to defend the DME pricing structure from internet comparisons. There is a long taped discussion in response to an analyst's question. This is the reason for their attack on the internet. They do not want any harm to be done to their DME customer base. They are trusting that the little storm of criticism created by their actions will soon fade away. The internet CPAP websites are standing in the way, they will destroy it if they can, with or without their approval. They spoke of providing industry leadership. This is an obvious attempt to get the other manufactures to follow them.

Did resmed come right out and say in so many words, "We want to destroy internet sales."? No.

Do I think if resmed's Chairman could snap his fingers and have all internet cpap retailers disappear at once, would he? Yes, I think he would snap 'em. My opinion.

From their derogatory statements about internet retailing, I think (my opinion) resmed would very much like to see an end to all internet sales of cpap equipment. They make it clear they want to see everyone trooping back through the doors of the local DMEs. DMEs Who just happen to be resmed's biggest customers by far. If resmed's actions were to destroy internet retailing of "cpap" products (they won't, but if they did), I think resmed's Chairman would be very pleased with himself for firing the first shots:

1. forbidding internet dealers from selling resmed products to other countries.

2. lobbing that minimum mandatory price grenade straight at cpap users who buy supplies from internet stores.

I also think (my opinion) that resmed really expected other manufacturers to jump aboard and implement the same type of mandatory minimum pricing on the internet. Thankfully, others have not.

No, there is no proof, if you want a memo or recorded statement, from resmed about trying to destroy internet stores. I don't think they have to say it to have it be their unspoken wish, or to be taking actions to harm internet sales as much as they can unilaterally.

Why would they want to harm internet sales? To court and woo their biggest customers (the local DMEs) by showing them..."Look what we're doing to take the lustre off internet purchasing of cpap supplies...we're on your side."

Artificially getting the internet prices up also helps keep the insurance and Medicare bean counters from taking notice of how low the prices for equipment could be. So far, making noise about the extra "service" people get from the local DME is probably the only thing that has kept reimbursements up. But if internet sales, and support like what cpap.com offers keeps growing.....hmmm.

If that finger snap would work..... just my opinion.

Does it matter whether resmed thought of putting the brakes on internet sales themselves, or whether it was in response to griping/pressure from the big DMEs? Either way, resmed made a decision and acted on it.

The other manufacturers have not seen fit to do the same thing. Thankfully.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Resmad Chairman explaining internet policy:

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:40 pm

It's not just your opinion RG. I was hesitatant to say anything but have kept up with many of the posts concerning Resmed. I remember all the posts you mentioned. I agreed with everything you said in your post (in my opinion too). Keep up the good work posting information for people.

dsm_guest

Post by dsm_guest » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Still doesn't equate to "Resmed actively 'destroying' the online sales market".

But its christmas - time for some fun

Lets just lower this particular deceased equine object into its grave, put the whip aside & enjoy a christmas break. Then those that want to can dig it up afterwards & resume the whipping

DSM

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:23 pm

dsm_guest wrote:Still doesn't equate to "Resmed actively 'destroying' the online sales market".

But its christmas - time for some fun

Lets just lower this particular deceased equine object into its grave, put the whip aside & enjoy a christmas break. Then those that want to can dig it up afterwards & resume the whipping

DSM
Bah Humbug! let's start it up again

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:52 pm

on [b]October 17th[/b] Anonymous wrote:Resmed's attempt to destroy cpap internet retailing...
on [b]December 16th[/b] dsm wrote: Anonymous garbage !!!...Sheesh....
In the spirit of lightening things up a tad... I'd like to nominate Doug as having executed the slowest knee-jerk reaction in the history of sleep apnea message boards. .

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:59 pm

Poor, kind-hearted, helpful, Doug. If we all keep pulling his leg like this he's gonna be walking around in a tilt from one leg longer than the other.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:03 pm

LOL !

Have a good Christmas break y'all - maybe Santa will be off cpap long enough to visit

Cheers

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:09 pm

Merry Christmas! And (((hugs))), DSM.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:21 pm

-SWS wrote:In the spirit of lightening things up a tad... I'd like to nominate Doug as having executed the slowest knee-jerk reaction in the history of sleep apnea message boards.
Not to mention, a nomination for the funniest squashing of a horse that was so hot to trot such a short time ago.

Merry Christmas, Doug. You're right...t'is the season to be cheerful!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:41 pm

If it looks like a Duck and Quacks like a duck, It's probably not a Chicken.

It's as hard to defend Resmed's position on price fixing, as it is to get Fried Duck at Col. Sanders. Not even in a Slop Bucket. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:01 pm

I almost forgot to wish everyone a very HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!!!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:56 am

-SWS wrote:
on [b]October 17th[/b] Anonymous wrote:Resmed's attempt to destroy cpap internet retailing...
on [b]December 16th[/b] dsm wrote: Anonymous garbage !!!...Sheesh....
In the spirit of lightening things up a tad... I'd like to nominate Doug as having executed the slowest knee-jerk reaction in the history of sleep apnea message boards. .
LOL! ...keep in mind that Doug is a hemisphere away from many of us. It's takes a bit of time for his posts to semicircumnavigate the globe.

Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!