Is massive leak OK if good AHI & feeling good?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pedroski

Is massive leak OK if good AHI & feeling good?

Post by pedroski » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi there,

I've just bought a Resmed F30i. I've been using nasal pillows for decades but read that you could use the F30i with a beard so decided to try it. I love the mask because I feel really good when I wake up and during the day which has always been my go to reference for quality of cpap therapy. However it leaks massively even when I have the straps tight. This is annoying but doesn't seem to effect me, my AHI is good and I feel good. My question is, is this ok? I've attached a screenshot from Oscar.
Attachments
CPAP Screenshot 200410.JPG
CPAP Screenshot 200410.JPG (229.42 KiB) Viewed 785 times

LSAT

Re: Is massive leak OK if good AHI & feeling good?

Post by LSAT » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Normally if you feel good and your AHI is low, I would say leave everything alone. However, your machine can compensate for leaks up to 24L...maybe even a little higher. With leaks as high as yours, the AHI may be suspect. I would do whatever I could to eliminate the leaks. Try a mask liner from padacheek.com.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:31 pm

No, it is not ok, the machine is losing pressure and doesn't know what's going on.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Thank you LSAT, I checked out padacheek and they don't have a mask liner to suit the F30i, I sent an email to Karen asking about it.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Thank you for your response Palerider, I'm investigating a mask liner to try and reduce the leak.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for your help Zonker, yes I have watched a bunch of those videos which are helpful, but I'm doing everything they said to do, I have the right sized mask pieces for my head size. I'll persevere, thanks again.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:28 am

The first question to ask is why move away from something that worked?

A FFM will need some adjustment to get it right and might take a week or two. Your chart says that you are definitlely leaking from somewhere. This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83IJnP1wyY

One of the classic mistakes is to overtighten the straps and that applies to all masks.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:57 am

Hi Holden,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I tried the FF mask is my throat was dry & a little sore and my nostrils were irritated and I had a runny nose for three weeks and was having trouble shifting it. I'd read an article that said the F30i could be used if you had a beard. I'd been using a nasal mask with a Resmed Air Mini for a long time and thought I'd try the FF one. My first night on the F30i was amazing, as soon as I put it on I thought this is going to be good, and I woke up feeling great, my throat was better, the runny nose was gone, and I was now very interested in this FF mask. The only trouble is that it leaks like a sieve, primarily due to my beard and not being able to get a good seal. As you mentioned, I've learnt over the years that just tightening the straps can actually make it worse.

I'm getting a mask liner to try that, but to be honest, I've felt better on this F30i mask, even with such a horrible leak, than I have for ages, so I'm going to persevere with it.