Loud whirling noise - is my new Dreamstation faulty?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Loud whirling noise - is my new Dreamstation faulty?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 am

janx218 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am
I just found this thread, too, and am wondering what the resolution was. My wife and I both just got CPAPS last week. I have the ResMed AirSense10 Autoset, which is pretty much inaudible. However, my wife's DreamStation makes this whirring sound that I can hear from my side of the bed, and it's pretty annoying.
How long has the wife been using the DreamStation? Is it still within the warranty period?

It's not normal for these machines to be so loud or have so much motor noise. I would be pitching a hissy fit if I had that sort of noise and people expected me to learn to live with it. I sure as hell wouldn't be paying for it or letting my insurance pay for it...it would go back to the DME.

My suggestion....get the wife a machine like you have. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am

Ethereal hasn't been active on these forums for over a year.

This is why you are almost always better to create a new topic and describe your circumstances instead of necro-bumping old topics.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am

This is why you are almost always better to create a new topic and describe your circumstances instead of necro-bumping old topics.
"necro-bumping"?

notmyfetish.gif
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am
Dog Slobber wrote:

"necro-bumping"?
necrobump
  • verb: (internet) To revive a long dormant forum thread by adding a new post, thus bringing it to the top of the forum list.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =necrobump

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am
zonker wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am
Dog Slobber wrote:

"necro-bumping"?
necrobump
  • verb: (internet) To revive a long dormant forum thread by adding a new post, thus bringing it to the top of the forum list.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =necrobump
you kids today.
:roll:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 am

I don't consider a thread/topic started in Jan 2019 to be a zombie thread. It's barely a year old.
Especially when the complaint is something we hear often anyway.

Respironics machines are known to have more machine motor type of noises annoying people...fact of life.
Yes, some are silent but there are some that aren't and that's not normal. They should be near silent and if they aren't then there's something wrong with it and it needs to either be fixed or just get another machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Well apparently my Dreamstation is just as loud, just never aware of it at night with the fan running, but yeah during the day while paying attention to it, even with the humidifier attached, either full of water or empty, is loud as crap. I was surprised.

https://youtu.be/4qqFSdVk59k
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi,
I posted this in early 2017. It finally took me 4 brand new machines to find one that didn't make noises. That one has been perfect and still works well.

After 3 months there was a clicking sound which seemed to be linked to the humidifier so the humidifier was replaced. Philips told me that 1 in 10-15 machines has the same problem and not to worry as they would just keeping replacing it under warranty! In Australia you can ring Philips direct but still need to return machine through the supplier.
New humidifier started making clicking sounds at 3mths too so Philips replaced the whole machine.
The new machine (approx 6 weeks) seems to be making groaning noises (as am I!) during the night when the pressure is high. I am loathe to go back to the supplier AGAIN so will give it another week or so and then will take it back if it is still making noises.
I have had clicking and now groaning but no whistling

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:18 pm

Resmed machines have been observed to be noticeably quieter than Respironics.
Check all connections, the hose, power supply, etc.

pholmes102000

Post by pholmes102000 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:59 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have just found this topic which applies to me - I nearly threw the thing out of the window at 3:30 this morning. I too have issues with the two-tone motor hum that coordinates with my breathing - inhale (high note) and exhale (low note). My machine is set by the UK NHS hospital I use (Papworth, near Cambridge) at 12cmhg. If I use the ramp function at 5cmhg I still get the two tone effect but about half an octave lower. In the quiet of the night it's all I can hear and it keeps me awake.

I am convinced that this noise is not airborne, but is resonance from the machine through the humidifier, the tube, the mask and through the structure of my skull to the ear. How do I know this? Changing the characteristics of the system (ie the CPAP machine and humidifier, the tube, my skull) causes the noise to vary, for example:

1) Ear plugs make it more noticeable, not better.
2) With the humidifier out of circuit and the hose attached to the pump unit, the sound increases dramatically.
3) If I sleep on my back, it is almost unnoticeable. I cant do this all night as I suffer from painful Meralgia Paresthetica if I do. As soon as I turn on my side (ie blocking an ear) it becomes perceivably louder.
4) It is worse when the humidifier tank is full but gets quieter as it empties.
5) It gets better when I use a narrow bore heated tube than the wider bore unheated tube.
6) Clenching my teeth make it louder.

Is this hee-hawing noise normal for a Philips Dreamstation? It didn't pose a problem with my former, less sophisticated (read simpler to use!) Resmed machine but is driving me nuts now with the Dreamstation.

STOPPRESS I have just this very minute been contacted by Papworth and they are replacing my machine today. I'll post the result after trying the replacement.

Regarding item 5 and separate to the noise issue, the heated tube, however, don't seem to heat up in spite of showing all of the correct indications on the illuminated display panel. (I have had what I thought was a defective heated tube that I purchased replaced under warranty but it still don't seem to heat up!). The narrower heated tube doesn't seem to humidify as well as the unheated one and I wake up every hour with the horrible metallic mouth taste and have to use a mouthwash to freshen up. I would appreciate someone to advise on this seeming loss of humidity effect of the narrower tube.

I have read somewhere that the Dreamstation varies the tube temperature to heat up to the optimal temperature in relation to the ambient conditions to prevent condensation. I bought the heated tube after waking on a cold night to a face full of water but we haven't had a really cold night since, so it may simply not be heating in accordance with the machines installed logic. I'll see what happens after a proper cold night.

Sorry if the above seems a bit pedantic but I am a engineer and tend to think analytically about such things!

Paul

pholmes102000

Post by pholmes102000 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:36 am

Just an update - picked up the replacement Philips Dreamstation unit yesterday.

Tried it last night - NO NOISE!! Fantastic nights sleep (for me) with just one wake up at 3am for a pee. So if you have a Philips Dreamstation that hee-haws with your breathing it is defective. Get it replaced if under warranty or repaired.

Heated hose seems to work better too!