Resmed Airmini and N20 mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tedtomato

Resmed Airmini and N20 mask

Post by tedtomato » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 pm

I have been using a Resmed Airsense 10 for her at home for a couple of years, and have been using the Resmed Mirage FX nasal mask for more than a year now (after using a full face mask and then a Fisher & Paykel Eson nasal mask).

I am happy with both the Airsense 10 and the Mirage FX mask, but wanted a small machine for travelling (I don't want to unplug my main machine all the time, and don't want to carry a separate bag on a plane).

I bought the Airmini with the N20 nasal mask and here is my initial view, after 3 days of usage:

* The Airmini device is very small and well made. External power adapter seems very large in comparison
* Device is quiet when operating
* As many people have already reported, the inhaling noise/tube noise is higher than the Airsense 10 (and earplugs will make no difference). However, putting the machine on the floor and having the tube not higher than the mask seems to make such noise more acceptable. Didn't stop me from sleeping with the device on for 6 hours on the second night, and I am very sensitive to noise
* The air exhaust on the hose (as opposed to on the mask as usual) is also quite noisy (but I wear earplugs anyway)
* The app is quite basic, particularly the sleep statistics (hours, number of events, leak score, average pressure and that's pretty much it)
* Shame that the device doesn't have a micro-SD card slot or ability to download proper stats
* I don't like the fact that a normal hose was not provided (without humidification), to fit any regular masks, and that Resmed is forcing people to use their own brand of masks. Surely, that's anti-competitive
* I was positively surprised with the N20 mask, and it's better than the Mirage FX. Due to its hard frame at the front and smaller cushion (actually, requires the full size machines to be configured in "pillow" mask), fewer leaks, even when moving around/sleeping on the side. I was very happy with the Mirage FX, but I think the N20 is my preferred mask now. It's possible to use the N20 provided with the Airmini on a full size machine, as a separate connection hose is provided
* I haven't tried HumidEx so far. On my main machine, I have a humidifier but using it on a very low setting
* Shame that a protection case for the Airmini is not even provided, given the high price

In the UK, if buying from the Resmed official online shop, people have 14 days to try the Airmini or return it for free if not fully satisfied. I think I will keep it, although the Dreamstation Go seems to be very appealing too (integrated power supply, compatible with all masks, integrated screen, SD card slot/proper stats, proper humidifier if needed etc.). However, I don't think there is a way to try the Dreamstation Go in the UK...I am assuming the inhaling noise is equivalent in the Dreamstation Go.

billbolton

Re: Resmed Airmini and N20 mask

Post by billbolton » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:49 pm

* I don't like the fact that a normal hose was not provided (without humidification), to fit any regular masks, and that Resmed is forcing people to use their own brand of masks. Surely, that's anti-competitive
There are a number of compromises necessary in delivering a small but effective travel xPAP device.

Resmed decided that some level of humidification was an essential feature. Water humification using a tank presents huge difficulties for a small travel device. As an alternative to a tank, Resmed developed a method of recovering moisture from exhaled air and reusing it. To do this requires a mask that does not directly vent air for C02 scavenging purposes, but instead sends all the exhaled air back to the humidification filter (HumidX) for H20 capture.

The special AirMini versions of the p10 and N20 mask are a crucial component of the overall AirMini flow system. It's not designed to work with, and probably couldn't be done at all in a straightforward (aka plug'n'play) way, with any arbitrary mask.

Other mask vendors could make masks that work with an AirMini if they wanted to, or you could simply choose not to use an Airmini. So, whether that is anti-competitive or not is a somewhat moot point IMO. :roll:

tedtomato

Re: Resmed Airmini and N20 mask

Post by tedtomato » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:42 pm

billbolton wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:49 pm
Resmed decided that some level of humidification was an essential feature. Water humification using a tank presents huge difficulties for a small travel device. As an alternative to a tank, Resmed developed a method of recovering moisture from exhaled air and reusing it. To do this requires a mask that does not directly vent air for C02 scavenging purposes, but instead sends all the exhaled air back to the humidification filter (HumidX) for H20 capture.
Yes, I understand why the hose coming with the Airmini has that specific design, and therefore why masks also have to be specific version to remove the CO2 vent on those.

However, I don't understand why:

* Resmed couldn't sell an alternative hose without humidx/exhaust vents on the hose (and standard connectors), and therefore compatible with any existing masks with their own standard CO2 vents
* Resmed would assume humidification is essential for a travel device, when it's clearly not for many people. The Dreamstation Go was sold initially without any humidification option at all (Philips must have done their homework/market analysis). Resmed sells many home devices without a humidifier included/optional (so they don't think humidification is a "must have" feature then, even on machines used a lot more frequently).

What I do understand is:

* They are a business and want to make profit
* They want to lock down users to their specific masks
* They want to sell those small Humidx capsules (which are quite expensive for what they are)

So I maintain my view: the Airmini is anti-competitive by design and its primary purpose is to increase Resmed profits (through its high price, but also the selling of Resmed masks and consumables). Someone should force them to issue a standard hose, without humidification.

Resmed is also forcing most resellers to adopt a minimum price (on the Airmini but also all other products), and this is anti-competitive. I also know that they are putting pressure (no pun intended) on online sites like eBay to prevent the selling of used or new CPAP equipment, quoting some lack of medical supervision, while their own e-commerce website (at least in Europe) doesn't even require customer to produce a medical referral letter. This is a contradiction.