Resmed mini Darth Vader mask!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sandlapper

Resmed mini Darth Vader mask!!

Post by sandlapper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:37 am

I'm new so if there is a thread that all the info on travel cpaps, just please direct me to it.

I just purchased the Resmed mini and the nasal mask is LOUD! That humidifier thingy makes me sound like Darth Vader. My regular Resmed Airsense 10 makes no sound at all, so I was very surprised at how loud the mask was. I sent it back to cpap.com and now I get to try other travel cpaps. They suggested the Z2 Auto or the Dreamstation Go. I do not mind a little continuous hiss as we sleep with a white noise machine anyway. What I couldn't handle was the noise of my breathing. I use a nasal mask, not a full face. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tedtomato

Re: Resmed mini Darth Vader mask!!

Post by tedtomato » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Look at my review/thread I have just posted.

One way to decrease the inhaling noise is to have the machine lower (e.g. on the floor) and also the hose lower than the mask (as opposed to higher, using a holder etc.)

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:06 pm

I don't mean to alarm you ner nothin'....but all the travel machines are going to be rather noisy.

I agree that if they made one continuous noise that would be easier to deal with.

But they whistle and scream up and down as you breathe in and out.

I have a Z1 and have made some changes that make it tolerable. The "travel hose" which is a collapsible hose that has flexible walls that dampen the noise a lot. Added the Q-Tube muffler, which I think the Z2 comes with? Lay a t-shirt over it and it is ok now. Main thing is to get the noise out of the hose, that seemed to amplify the noise you hear at the mask.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Makes you wonder how they get away with charging so bleepin' much for the resmed mini.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:17 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm
Makes you wonder how they get away with charging so bleepin' much for the resmed mini.
Developing the technology to make things smaller is expensive.

Developing just one set of molds to make the outer case can cost 100k$

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JJR

Post by JJR » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 pm

The sound doesn’t bother me, but if I sleep with ear plugs (my wife streams videos on her phone sometimes when she can’t sleep), I sleep much better.

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 pm

JJR wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 pm
The sound doesn’t bother me, but if I sleep with ear plugs (my wife streams videos on her phone sometimes when she can’t sleep), I sleep much better.
I sleep with ear plugs, so the noise of the diffuser/exhaust on the Airmini doesn't impact me. However, the breathing/inhaling noise coming from inside the mask/hose (I guess referred as "Darth Vader" noise) is more annoying and earplugs won't change this. Compared to an Airsense 10, there is a big difference in inhaling noise, and I am not sure if the size of the machine is at fault (as the device itself is very quiet), or if nothing could have been done, like an optional muffler.

Advice to reduce inhaling noise is to put the machine lower than the head/mask, and also run the hose below the mask, not above. Some people have also mentioned that using the Humidx capsules is reducing the inhaling noise a bit, but I haven't tried yet.

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:01 am

With the new movie in the Star Wars franchise being released, I clicked on the thread hoping that someone had come out with an actual Darth Vader styled CPAP mask.
I was already reaching for my credit-card as I clicked on it.
Imagine my disappointment.
Anyway, Merry Christmas,
-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:02 pm

I had the AirMini and sent it back to another seller because of the Darth Vader hiss and lack of humidifier (I use an airtouch mask). Went with the Dreamstation Go and so far really like it. I had to get a hose cozy to deal with rainout but other than that it is much quieter in my opinion at the mask level. The machine itself is still kind of loud but as others have said, the Go’s machine noise is more of a constant white noise whoosh which is somewhat more tolerable. I sleep with earplugs always so that doesn’t matter as much to me...noise at the mask level you can’t drown out with earplugs however. The only other issue with the Go is size and weight as it is definitely heavier.

I will say however that I didn’t hate the AirMini...if I had to keep I it as my travel cpap I would be ok with that, but because I had a better option I took it.

Hope this helps.

sandlapper

Post by sandlapper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. From my research, the Dreamstation Go looks like it could be a winner, but it doesn't have free a trial period. The Z2 Auto and the Somnetics Transcend 3 Auto both have 30 day trial periods. I haven't seen much info on the Transend 3, and while it's a little larger, seems to be a solid device with decent reviews. If anyone out there has that one and wants to chime in, I would greatly appreciate it. This whole CPAP shopping experience is very frustrating. If you could only go to a store and look at the stuff and ask questions.

Mr Nosey

Post by Mr Nosey » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 am

tedtomato wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 pm
JJR wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 pm
I sleep with ear plugs, so the noise of the diffuser/exhaust on the Airmini doesn't impact me. However, the breathing/inhaling noise coming from inside the mask/hose (I guess referred as "Darth Vader" noise) is more annoying and earplugs won't change this. Compared to an Airsense 10, there is a big difference in inhaling noise, and I am not sure if the size of the machine is at fault (as the device itself is very quiet), or if nothing could have been done, like an optional muffler.

Advice to reduce inhaling noise is to put the machine lower than the head/mask, and also run the hose below the mask, not above. Some people have also mentioned that using the Humidx capsules is reducing the inhaling noise a bit, but I haven't tried yet.
Earplugs are useful if there is sound emanating from the machine but will be much less so if from the mask itself (as was the case for me with the Resmed Mini). Sound from the mask (when attached to your face) will be heard via sound transduction directly through your face/vibrations, not via air and therefore much more difficult to dampen. Myself? I put the Resmed mini mini lower than the bed, put a towel over it, over the hose, over me (LOL)...and then "threw in the towel" and returned the mini within the return period. Oh yes, and I did try the Humidx filter. I was surprised the mini/mask setup was soooo loud!

I'll see my older brother next month and will try his Resmed mini just to make sure there was not something wrong with the one I tested (Much to my surprise, I did have problems breathing with the setup). Would love the mini to work for me, am happy it is a solution for my brother and others.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 am

JayDee wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:01 am
With the new movie in the Star Wars franchise being released, I clicked on the thread hoping that someone had come out with an actual Darth Vader styled CPAP mask.
I was already reaching for my credit-card as I clicked on it.
Imagine my disappointment.
Anyway, Merry Christmas,
-JD
:lol: