Help I Need to Sleep ASAP!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MattL

Help I Need to Sleep ASAP!!

Post by MattL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:28 am

Hello All,

First post here. I have determined after the last few years I have sleep apnea. I've had a bunch of testing done to rule out other issues like heart, pulmonary, blood work and GI work up. Like many people have am self employed and have horrible insurance. I have decided to go the DIY route. I've only been getting 4 hours of sleep per night for a long time and I am exhausted. I have all the symptoms. BP is getting out of control. Been to the doctor multiple times. I'm out of money and in debt from healthcare. I can't keep doing that. I've been educating myself on sleep apnea.

So what machine should I get and where can I buy it? I am looking on FB marketplace which seems to be the best option. I found a pre-owned but not used ResMed AirSense 10 Elite for $200. Is that a good unit?

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Matt

Pugsy

Re: Help I Need to Sleep ASAP!!

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 am

It's good but maybe not the best because it won't auto adjust the pressures if your pressure needs change during the night.
It only has one mode of operation available...fixed cpap mode. You can DIY things with fixed but it is much harder and you are kind screwed if you end up needing different pressures during the night.

I would rather see you get the AirSense 10 AutoSet if at all possible since it will do fixed and auto adjusting pressures...2 modes of operation ...like 2 machines in one.

Is 200 about the best you can do money wise for a machine? Could you do more?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:50 am

The elite is an okay machine, but it only offers straight pressure. Many people benefit from a range of pressures so that they can stay at a lower pressure part of the night and only go up as needed.

Since you will have use the machine and review the data to come up with your pressure needs, having the auto feature will be far more helpful than straight pressure. You can see the pressure graph and visually see what pressure your machine wants to use.

Since you are really tight on money, you might consider the Resmed S9 autoset. It is older than the Airsense autoset, but is still really good. I have two of them for my nightly machine and travel/backup machine. I have seen many of these on craigslist for $150-250.

There are also a few people on this list who sell machines at reasonable prices.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

MattL

Post by MattL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

I can do more I just can't afford a sleep study etc. I can go up you $350 maybe a bit more if needed.

If anybody has a line on a good used machine for a decent price that would be awesome.

MattL

Post by MattL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:56 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 am
It's good but maybe not the best because it won't auto adjust the pressures if your pressure needs change during the night.
It only has one mode of operation available...fixed cpap mode. You can DIY things with fixed but it is much harder and you are kind screwed if you end up needing different pressures during the night.

I would rather see you get the AirSense 10 AutoSet if at all possible since it will do fixed and auto adjusting pressures...2 modes of operation ...like 2 machines in one.

Is 200 about the best you can do money wise for a machine? Could you do more?
Thanks yes auto is what I need for sure.

MattL

Post by MattL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:00 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:50 am
The elite is an okay machine, but it only offers straight pressure. Many people benefit from a range of pressures so that they can stay at a lower pressure part of the night and only go up as needed.

Since you will have use the machine and review the data to come up with your pressure needs, having the auto feature will be far more helpful than straight pressure. You can see the pressure graph and visually see what pressure your machine wants to use.

Since you are really tight on money, you might consider the Resmed S9 autoset. It is older than the Airsense autoset, but is still really good. I have two of them for my nightly machine and travel/backup machine. I have seen many of these on craigslist for $150-250.

There are also a few people on this list who sell machines at reasonable prices.
Thanks I will look into the Resmed S9 autoset. Does it collect data? I need the data part too since I'm DIY-ing.

What is a good price for a used one? I found one for $250.
Last edited by MattL on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 am

Contact forum member LSAT. He is trustworthy and I have bought machines from him so I can vouch for him.
He often has good used AutoSets for sale at very fair prices.
See what he might have available.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35445

Send him a private message and ask him what he has used with some hours on it that might get it down in the 350 range.
He might even have a mask he can throw in the deal....you will need a good mask too.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MattL

Post by MattL » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 am
Contact forum member LSAT. He is trustworthy and I have bought machines from him so I can vouch for him.
He often has good used AutoSets for sale at very fair prices.
See what he might have available.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35445

Send him a private message and ask him what he has used with some hours on it that might get it down in the 350 range.
He might even have a mask he can throw in the deal....you will need a good mask too.
Thank you much appreciated.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 am

MattL wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:00 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks I will look into the Resmed S9 autoset. Does it collect data? I need the data part too since I'm DIY-ing.

What is a good price for a used one? I found one for $250.
The autoset has full data. The Escape Auto does NOT.

$250 is reasonable, but I have seen several for $150-200. And many for much higher. I would check the recommendations that Pugsy gave first since you can do up to $350. That might be possible with the Airsense 10 autoset, but I am not familiar with the current pricing.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

Just wanted to say I bought my current machine from LSAT and everything went smooth as silk.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

MattL

Post by MattL » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks again everybody!

I ordered a Resmed S9 Autoset. I will need a mask. What is the best option and place to order one?

Thanks!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 am

MattL wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 am
Thanks again everybody!

I ordered a Resmed S9 Autoset. I will need a mask. What is the best option and place to order one?

Thanks!
Masks are a very personal choice. Our host, cpap.com offers free mask insurance on most masks, I believe. So, if you don't like it, you can return it. I would definitely spend some time looking at the photos of different masks and read reviews. Some of the masks have sizing guides you can print to determine your size.

Do you have an idea of what type of mask you want to try? For example, do you plan to use a nasal mask or full face mask? If you have a few ideas of masks, people may be able to help you with the pros and cons.

MattL

Post by MattL » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:23 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 am
MattL wrote:
Thanks again everybody!

Thanks!
Masks are a very personal choice. Our host, cpap.com offers free mask insurance on most masks, I believe. So, if you don't like it, you can return it. I would definitely spend some time looking at the photos of different masks and read reviews. Some of the masks have sizing guides you can print to determine your size.

Do you have an idea of what type of mask you want to try? For example, do you plan to use a nasal mask or full face mask? If you have a few ideas of masks, people may be able to help you with the pros and cons.
Thanks for the quick reply. What are the pros and cons of nasal vs. full? I'm thinking a full mask might be more comfortable to me. Maybe. I'm not really a mouth breather though so I think either would work for me. I'm mostly a side sleeper.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 am

MattL wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:23 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:
MattL wrote:
Thanks again everybody!

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. What are the pros and cons of nasal vs. full? I'm thinking a full mask might be more comfortable to me. Maybe. I'm not really a mouth breather though so I think either would work for me. I'm mostly a side sleeper.
If you can breathe through your nose, that is usually the easiest style of mask. There is less surface area, so leaks are easier to avoid. I am a mouth breather, so I cannot use a nasal mask.

MattL

Post by MattL » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 am
MattL wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:23 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:
MattL wrote:
Thanks again everybody!

Thanks!

If you can breathe through your nose, that is usually the easiest style of mask. There is less surface area, so leaks are easier to avoid. I am a mouth breather, so I cannot use a nasal mask.
Thank you. I may just try that first or maybe buy one off Ebay for cheap and compare.