Wow Bipap, is it good now? And masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

Re: Wow Bipap, is it good now? And masks?

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 am

I am claustrophobic. I found using the mask and machine during the day watching tv or reading when I was relaxed help me to get used to it so I could wear it at night. I also picked a mask with a clear field of vision and that helped. There are many minimalist masks now. the bleep which has no headgear, the dreamwear nasal or pillows has the hose come out on top of the head rather than the front, one of the resmed masks comes off the top as well. I like resmeds N20 because it fits my face well and comes with the "for her" sizing which is smaller and works better for me but it is not diffused venting so that is a down side. The p10 is popular for being minimalist with a diffused venting system. If you go to cpap.com you can look at all the different masks. Find one that looks interesting to you. I think pugsy has mentioned they have a 30 day return insurance on their masks.

IDreamofSleep

Post by IDreamofSleep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:52 am
Some say they can't breathe. It isn't always obvious, but often the inhale pressure is too low, and unless somebody tells them, and they actually try it, they won't know that.
I did try with more pressure, it wasnt just the mask sitting there feeling hard to breath out, it was the pressure even if minimal, I have a really low exhale pressure. And it would ramp up the relief too quickly. So lets say I was on 10 and 3, the 3 was too strong. I did test with say 10-6 for example, was worse. No level of pressure was low enough.

What would be the ultimate for me would be a mask that is easy to exhale out of and 0 pressure from the machine, so my natural breath out could occur, then ramp that sucker back to 10 for inhaling once it knows Im trying to breath in.

Is any machine smart enough to know when you have finished exhaling and go from 0 up to 10? And is any mask really good at letting air out so I can exhale even easier if the lowest a machine can go is 2?

I need big flaps so when I breath out they open up, like GIANT sea clams when I exhale they clamp down hard.

Thanks all, I dont feel so alone in this now. 3rd time is a charm?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:32 am

IDreamofSleep wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am

What would be the ultimate for me would be a mask that is easy to exhale out of and 0 pressure from the machine, so my natural breath out could occur, then ramp that sucker back to 10 for inhaling once it knows Im trying to breath in.
That would be quite bad.... Very very bad.

You wouldn't get *any* benefit from it, and a good bit of detriment.

It's that resting pressure, (EPAP) that is what holds your airway open so you can take another breath.

If you built this non-existent machine, (there's a reason they all only go so low), you would be, essentially untreated. Then when you did wake up enough to gasp for air, you'd get hit with a big whallop of air, effectively hyperventilating yourself, with very unnatural breathing, until your throat closed again and you went into apnea.

To put it simply, your desire is stupid, harmful and can't be done. It's totally unrealistic.
IDreamofSleep wrote:
Is any machine smart enough to know when you have finished exhaling and go from 0 up to 10? And is any mask really good at letting air out so I can exhale even easier if the lowest a machine can go is 2?
No, you've convinced yourself that this crazy fantasy is what you need, but you are wrong.
IDreamofSleep wrote:
I need big flaps so when I breath out they open up, like GIANT sea clams when I exhale they clamp down hard.
No, you don't.

What you *need* is to strap on a mask and give it time, and soon enough you, like legions of others before you, will be wondering "is this thing on?"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 am

IDreamofSleep wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:52 am
Some say they can't breathe. It isn't always obvious, but often the inhale pressure is too low, and unless somebody tells them, and they actually try it, they won't know that.
I did try with more pressure, it wasnt just the mask sitting there feeling hard to breath out, it was the pressure even if minimal, I have a really low exhale pressure. And it would ramp up the relief too quickly. So lets say I was on 10 and 3, the 3 was too strong. I did test with say 10-6 for example, was worse. No level of pressure was low enough.
If I understand correctly, you had a cpap before. It cannot do 10 and 3. It cannot do 10-6. cpap and apap machine can only do a maximum of 3 difference. And only one machine can do less than 4. There was one that did 3, but I'm not sure if it was available in this country.

What you are hoping for is not possible, and really not helpful. The exhale pressure still have to be enough to hold your airway open. So, 0 or even 3 is useless. Might as well not even bother cpap.

The reality is that most people, even those who struggle with pressure at the beginning, CAN get used to cpap and much higher than 4. It may take some time, and may take some medication to help; but it can be done.

My pressure starts at 11 with EPR of 2. So the LOWEST my machine ever goes is 9. I can't even feel it. I have to check the exhaust to make sure it is turned on.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?