Adding Oxygen to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dan_McD

Re: Adding Oxygen to CPAP

Post by Dan_McD » Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Rexlan wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm
Dan_McD wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 pm
Rexlan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 am
I guess one can find any data they want. However, if one does not need daytime O2 I do not think adding a 1L flow at night into the Dream Station is measurable. My data suggest that it is not with using the APAP with and without the O2 and by using just the O2 alone. In fact, My levels are better with the APAP alone as opposed to just the O2 alone. Other's mileage may vary and it may come down to how much of an increase is 1L really delivering when 50% of the air is vented initially unless you are introducing it directly at the mask.

Supplemental nocturnal oxygen does improve arterial oxygen saturation during sleep. However, it also appears to increase the severity of apnea-hypopnea events, which have been theorized to have distinct deleterious effects on the heart independent of hypoxemia. For this reason, supplemental oxygen therapy is not recommended as a primary therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in expert guidelines.

Conclusion:

This review shows that O2 therapy significantly improves oxygen saturation in patients with OSA. However, it may also increase the duration of apnea-hypopnea events.
I hate it when people blow off what I said worked FOR ME. Your Quote:"Others mileage may vary".

Also you said "as opposed to using just the O2 alone". And then post data that says "For this reason, supplemental oxygen therapy is not recommended as a primary therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in expert guidelines"

Your posted data, if that is your defense, is in conflict with your "Opinion/Conclusion/Usage".

If your post is indicative that you have OSA and does not indicate you have COPD, then you should not voice your conclusion, battering those of us that actually have experience with both disorders.

Additionally, there has not been a recognized study since 1999, that can say for certain, yay or nay that supplemental nocturnal oxygen is or is not beneficial for patients that have both OSA and COPD. Only that caution should be given in the over kill of supplying oxygen to COPD patients and that was particularly directed to ER professionals.

The 1L of O2 added to my APAP tube works for me. It may or may not work for all.

:lol: :lol: You would know for sure if you were "battered" by me ... trust me on that ... :lol: :lol:

I hate it when people get their panties in a wad when they are wrong as can be and late to report it as well !!! ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But hey ... As said - your mileage may vary. Mine, between the COPD and the OSA I am around 2 liters ... :lol: :lol:

I certainly hope you feel better and fully vindicated ... I know I do.

Chill out my friend ... it isn't a competition
Your posted data and your conclusion are in conflict and folded like a wet tissue... I know it's hard for a loser, so now you're going to be a tough guy. Whatever!

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Dan_McD wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 pm
Rexlan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 am
I guess one can find any data they want. However, if one does not need daytime O2 I do not think adding a 1L flow at night into the Dream Station is measurable. My data suggest that it is not with using the APAP with and without the O2 and by using just the O2 alone. In fact, My levels are better with the APAP alone as opposed to just the O2 alone. Other's mileage may vary and it may come down to how much of an increase is 1L really delivering when 50% of the air is vented initially unless you are introducing it directly at the mask.

Supplemental nocturnal oxygen does improve arterial oxygen saturation during sleep. However, it also appears to increase the severity of apnea-hypopnea events, which have been theorized to have distinct deleterious effects on the heart independent of hypoxemia. For this reason, supplemental oxygen therapy is not recommended as a primary therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in expert guidelines.

Conclusion:

This review shows that O2 therapy significantly improves oxygen saturation in patients with OSA. However, it may also increase the duration of apnea-hypopnea events.
I hate it when people blow off what I said worked FOR ME. Your Quote:"Others mileage may vary".
Well, some people just scream out to be on the foe list... and rabid squirrels too.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

linagee

Post by linagee » Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 am

If you sleep in a tiny room with the door closed, you will get carbon dioxide build up. (You can prove/disprove this with a device like an Awair.) If you need supplemental oxygen to counteract this, it seems like you are just playing a balancing act. Why not just open your room door or get an HRV? (Fresh air for your house.)

Carbon dioxide buildup can have negative cognitive effects. Like 60% decline with 1200ppm vs 600ppm. (Closed door room can easily become 2500ppm.) This won't show up in your AHI numbers, you'll just feel terrible the next day, lol.

I find it weird that I am the first one to mention Awair on this board. (Just searched.)

I've read several studies on this and even wondered: maybe some night time carbon dioxide isn't so bad for you? (To feel sleepy.) It turns out there was a study about this. They regulated CO2 to 900ppm for one room and had the other room go to 2500ppm. The room with 2500ppm still had negative cognitive effects the next day.