Himalayan Salt inline with CPAP hose.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Himalayan Salt inline with CPAP hose.

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm
jnk... wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm
Though I expect jnk may add to it.
a+: Learn from him and thank him?
You guys.... Palerider, how did you know jnk was gonna respond to this - and immediately? Were you on the phone with him?
I was not. I do know several people here in real life, outside the forum, however jnk is not one of the people I'm privileged to know more personally though.

That doesn't keep me from having made some observations about how his brain works, though. :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm actually a perfectly normal person in real life.

At least that's the line I tell myself in the mirror over and over every morning.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 pm

jnk... wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm
I'm actually a perfectly normal person in real life.
Oh, ugh, you're not nearly as interesting now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

:D
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:57 pm

By using the apropriate sample size, anyone can be classified as "normal". But, it takes special effort to be classified as abbynormal. :lol:

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

"Acute placebo deficiency"--Somebody oughta put that on a hat.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm
"Acute placebo deficiency"--Somebody oughta put that on a hat.
I know someone that can put it on a shirt. not sure she can get a hat in her heat press...

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:20 am

Divinitous wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm
This stuff helps. Yeah, it's just a rock but it helps me. Placebo or not it's good.

Here is a short list of just some of the possible benefits of having a Himalayan pink salt lamp in your home:
Purifies the air. ...
Eases allergy and asthma symptoms. ...
Increases energy levels and reduces stress. ...
Helps you sleep better. ...
Reduces electromagnetic radiation. ...
Improves skin diseases. ...
Reduces static electricity.

I received two of these lights for Christmas.
I am very skeptical about things like this.
I liken this to the pet rock.
Not being an actual chemist, but playing one on the internet.....
to separate the only ions in salt..... those being sodium and chloride
requires it to be heated to ~1500F.
Next to your cpap would probably be a fire hazard. I don't think a 15W bulb can do that.

… BUT, having placed one in the living room and one in my office....
I do find they do produce a calming effect on me.
Maybe it is just the light.....it is very pleasant
or ..........
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 am

Sometimes I COOK with pink salt, generally the stuff from Utah.
Compared to white salt, I *think* it MIGHT taste better.
But then I worry about my thyroid, and cook pasta with iodized.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm

I have been adding salt to my humidifier water for about 8 years now. No problems with humidifier chambers. No problems with machines, but I am careful not to spill the salt water into the machine.

I started with an S8 and am currently using an AirSense 10 AutoSet for her. With both machines I am able to detect salt ions in the humidified air using sensitive laboratory equipment. The theoretical idea is that the humidifier simply evaporates the water. Actual measurements indicate otherwise indicating that there is some aerosol activity involved in the process.

My initial focus was to promote the feeling of sleeping on the beach and to reduce any nasal congestion. The big question is if enough salt makes it through to be therapeutic... beyond placebo. My current take is that if placebo works for me, bring it on. I sleep comfortably and have no issues with congestion.

On the rare occasion that my humidifier runs dry, I simply add water and dissolve the salt residue. I also have not had any issues with my hose (I tend to use mine for several years) or my mask.

I have not tested every machine available and am just going by what I use. This means that your mileage may vary... :)

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm
nicholasjh1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm
Actually adding it to the water would increase the humidification... possibly by quite a bit. Salt increases evaporation. I'm not sure it would be hard to clean. the usual vinegar rinse would probably do the job.
Does vinegar dissolve salt?

I know that *water* does.
What does that have to do with anything? I'm just mentioning that the usual vinegar rinse would do the trick. Yes, water should get out most of the salt, though not some of the contaminants in the salt ie some minerals. Manypeople rinse with vinegar, at least occaisionally, at least I do. Is there something that compels you to point out the obvious?
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm

If salt-stains on leather shoes are any relevant gauge, a white vinegar solution does a much better job than water alone with removing imbedded salt residue. But I ain't no chemist dude. I just walk a lot in the Northeast in winter and don't mind smelling like a tossed salad.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am

Divinitous wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm
I believe in Himalayan Salt rocks.
Don't burn your office and home down. ----------------------->
The arts and crafts store Michaels recalled about 80,000 pink Himalayan salt lamps after it was discovered they could shock or catch fire.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said the lamp's "dimmer switch and/or outlet plug can overheat and ignite, posing shock and fire hazards."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /96536278/

Divinitous

Post by Divinitous » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Well, been using salt in humidifier and thus far seems to be working out. Overall I feel less stuffy when waking up and can't say I've died. Placebo or not I'll keep it up until something goes wrong. I took a new gallon jug of DI water and added ~3 tablespoons of Himalayan Salt to it. I've been topping it off each day and about once a week I'll give it a good vinegar soak/rinse.

Divinitous

Post by Divinitous » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:41 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm
I have been adding salt to my humidifier water for about 8 years now. No problems with humidifier chambers. No problems with machines, but I am careful not to spill the salt water into the machine.

I started with an S8 and am currently using an AirSense 10 AutoSet for her. With both machines I am able to detect salt ions in the humidified air using sensitive laboratory equipment. The theoretical idea is that the humidifier simply evaporates the water. Actual measurements indicate otherwise indicating that there is some aerosol activity involved in the process.

My initial focus was to promote the feeling of sleeping on the beach and to reduce any nasal congestion. The big question is if enough salt makes it through to be therapeutic... beyond placebo. My current take is that if placebo works for me, bring it on. I sleep comfortably and have no issues with congestion.

On the rare occasion that my humidifier runs dry, I simply add water and dissolve the salt residue. I also have not had any issues with my hose (I tend to use mine for several years) or my mask.

I have not tested every machine available and am just going by what I use. This means that your mileage may vary... :)
I'm with ya on this salt thing.