CPAP and Weight loss...again...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stogie5150

Re: CPAP and Weight loss...again...

Post by stogie5150 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:14 pm
stogie5150 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Mode : AutoSet
Max pressure 12cm
Min pressure 5cm
(Per my sleep docs my pressure was supposed to be 11cm, BTW)
Mask: Nasal
I would NOT recommend those settings.
If you're used to 12.5, then spending the night with the machine trying to get back down to 5 is very likely a recipe for crap sleep.

I'd go min 11, max 20, and see how things go, if the pressure never changes, then drop it a cm.. see if it still never changes.
Past two weeks I have had my Philips machine set at 11cm and was okay...

Well, night one reported an AHI of .85. Did say my mask leaks way too much. Wondering if its because I use a Non-Resmed mask? I'll be along in a minute with a sleepyhead report...

Here it is....I'm ready for analysis... Sleep quality was a little down, I feel a little more groggy than I usually am..Slept all night, no wakeups that I can remember...

sleep report 10-9-2018.jpg (345.83 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Last edited by stogie5150 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:56 am

The brand of mask makes no difference. How well the mask fits is the issue. I use a ResMed machine and have masks made by other companies most of the time.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

stogie5150

Post by stogie5150 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

Second night Resmed machine is still reporting my mask is leaking. Usually if my mask leaks at ALL I wake up, and I am NOT waking up. Before i went to sleep last night I used the mask fit feature on the machine, with me in the sleeping position I normally sleep in, and it passed. AHI was still under 1. I'm going to try another flap and cushion on my mask tonight and see if that matters with the leak issue...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am

For the day posted (Oct 8th) your mask leak is very low for most of the night. You might be overly concerned.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 am

You know at least from the report above on the 8th....the leaks aren't horribly horrible and you barely went into large leak territory....and you slept right through them. If it were my report I would shrug my shoulders and move on and not worry about them.
My leak reports are rarely perfect and most often have at least some time in large leak but as long as I sleep through them and they aren't horribly prolonged...I don't really care.
I learned a long time ago that going to super human efforts to tame leaks usually resulted in my sleep quality worsening in an effort to fix a problem that was relatively minor.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

stogie5150

Post by stogie5150 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 am
You know at least from the report above on the 8th....the leaks aren't horribly horrible and you barely went into large leak territory....and you slept right through them. If it were my report I would shrug my shoulders and move on and not worry about them.
My leak reports are rarely perfect and most often have at least some time in large leak but as long as I sleep through them and they aren't horribly prolonged...I don't really care.
I learned a long time ago that going to super human efforts to tame leaks usually resulted in my sleep quality worsening in an effort to fix a problem that was relatively minor.
That was my thought but I wanted to hear from someone that knew more than me. I do read and heed here....sleep QUALITY is paramount for me too. :D

One thing I DID think about tonight, when I was 260 pounds I was fitted for a size MEDIUM mask, its got me to wondering with my weight loss and subsequent thinning of my face would it not be prudent to try the SMALL mask to see if that helps. My sleep quality has taken a nose dive in the past two nights with the new machine, I have been noticeably groggy the past two mornings/days. :?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 pm

stogie5150 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm
One thing I DID think about tonight, when I was 260 pounds I was fitted for a size MEDIUM mask, its got me to wondering with my weight loss and subsequent thinning of my face would it not be prudent to try the SMALL mask to see if that helps.
USUALLY... mask sizes are based on bone structure, like the distance from the top of the nose to the crease under your bottom lip... or the width of your nose, depending on the mask.

Many have sizing guides that you can download off the net.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Some people are more sensitive to pressure changes. Your pressure settings are working well, but do go up and down a bit. That could make you restless, with short wakeups that you don't remember. You might try raising the minimum to 8 or 9 and see if you feel better.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Cubbiebear

Post by Cubbiebear » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:23 am

I know my friends weight loss caused her to go from a medium to a small mask. I also do not report to anyone although my PCP will ask how I am doing with my CPAP. I do not use a DME or go thru insurance..I don't need them. I come here when I need answers. I read a lot of the old posts to. Good luck! Let us know how you do. You can see at the bottom of my post what I use.

stogie5150

Post by stogie5150 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Its AMAZING what a little strap-cinching can do.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I felt MILES better this morning....more energy today...

10-12-2018.jpg (357.19 KiB) Viewed 470 times

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Usually, mask fit can be linked to biometric dimensions and angles.
(Think facial recognition.)
Of course, soft tissue changes can also be a factor, but not as commonly.