Cpaptalk.com vs Apneaboard.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
prodigyplace

Re: Cpaptalk.com vs Apneaboard.com

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 pm

The Software forum over there is the most interesting because several people who have been involved in the development of SleepyHead post over there.
At least those that have not been banned yet.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

djams

Post by djams » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm

My personal feeling is that very lightly moderated forums are far more effective. Members tend to relax and be themselves as time passes, and you get to see people for who they really are - to a greater degree.
palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:46 am
Personally, I think the main difference is that apneaboard is tightly moderated, and they care more about feelings than correct information.
PR - I have noticed your never ending campaign against misinformation on this forum, and have been waiting for an opportunity to mention that it is much appreciated. Keep up the good work. I submit this post as just one of many examples. Misinformation - quashed. Uncertainty - gone.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171995&p=1255903

Stom

Post by Stom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:29 pm

djams wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm
My personal feeling is that very lightly moderated forums are far more effective. Members tend to relax and be themselves as time passes, and you get to see people for who they really are - to a greater degree.
Really depends, I'd say. I've seen lightly moderated political forums that were straight up toxic, with implied death threats and more. Establishing a culture where people discuss things without being toxic each other is what I think is more effective and has less collateral damage. Some times you can do that with light modding. Sometimes you can't.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

djams wrote:
PR - I have noticed your never ending campaign against misinformation on this forum, and have been waiting for an opportunity to mention that it is much appreciated. Keep up the good work. I submit this post as just one of many examples. Misinformation - quashed. Uncertainty - gone.

Thanks, I appreciate it, and I'm glad that I've helped you understand how things work. Misinformation can make getting effective treatment even harder than it is already... And I just want people to get the best rest they can.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm

It baffles me why some people post such absolute nonsense,
--on a medical self-help forum.
When it is intentional, it is the worst kind of trolling;
--if accidental, one only wonders why . . .
Ignorance is no excuse; and we can only treat it as rising from malevolent intent.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm
It baffles me why some people post such absolute nonsense,
--on a medical self-help forum.
When it is intentional, it is the worst kind of trolling;
--if accidental, one only wonders why . . .
Well, sleep apnea is a complex system, and cpaps, especially the auto machines, are complex, and often shrouded in secrecy by their manufacturers... It's not surprising that people jump to the wrong conclusions, especially with things that happen when they're half awake.

The problem (for me) comes in when they refuse to listen to people that know far more than they do, and persist in spreading stuff that misleads others.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

djams

Post by djams » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm
djams wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate it, and I'm glad that I've helped you understand how things work. Misinformation can make getting effective treatment even harder than it is already... And I just want people to get the best rest they can.
You're welcome. I also believe that there's a huge psychological factor in play with xPAP therapy. The smallest seeds of doubt are very detrimental to progress.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:16 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm
Ignorance is no excuse; and we can only treat it as rising from malevolent intent.
I am sorry some of us are imperfect humans and not all knowledgeable frogs.
I made the wrong assumption this forum was for imperfect humans to learn, and to sometimes make mistakes.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:22 pm

But not to help others to FAIL, by stubbornly repeating garbage heard elsewhere.
To learn, one must read, listen, and observe--not blindly repeat unsubstantiated nonsense,
and then get all bent when they are PROVEN WRONG.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:22 pm
But not to help others to FAIL, by stubbornly repeating garbage heard elsewhere.
To learn, one must read, listen, and observe--not blindly repeat unsubstantiated nonsense,
and then get all bent when they are PROVEN WRONG.
I agree!!! There are posters on this site that feel that they must reply to questions even though their answer may be incomplete or wrong. Even I have made a few incorrect posts...I can recall at least 3 or 4 out of my 9977. :lol: :lol: :lol:

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 pm

No one is always right, but you have a really good percentage.
Better than mine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 pm

djams wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 pm
I also believe that there's a huge psychological factor in play with xPAP therapy. The smallest seeds of doubt are very detrimental to progress.
Yes, you're right. "is this thing not working right?" "is it supposed to do that?" "it's going to blow my head off with all this pressure"... and much more, all things that make people shy away from what can do so much to help them live a better life.

Cubbiebear

Post by Cubbiebear » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Well I didn't get my original question answered but I did get the apnea forum owner to remove it all for me. The reason I did not like it started by reading this thread about it from the beginning so I decided to go check it out. I read through a lot of their threads. I agree with all you have posted before and now about that forum. I did not like the tone of any of it and felt more like being in a combat zone. I love this forum and have no intention of looking anywhere else now out of any curiosity. I have learned so much here..even from some of the wise guys. LOL! We all need laughter. Thanks everyone....

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Good plan.
Most of the members here are OK.
When someone pokes me, I usually figure it is because their pain is greater than mine.

Cubbiebear

Post by Cubbiebear » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Good plan.
Most of the members here are OK.
When someone pokes me, I usually figure it is because their pain is greater than mine.
Thanks....I agree..sometimes we react out of frustrations.