I'm trying a dental device option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: I'm trying a dental device option

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm

If I had adjusted to XPAP, I'd be Darned to look back! I expect most that are happy with alt solutions, could live longer using XPAP correctly, De-Nile is a tough mistress! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:53 am

I was ok with the CPAP although it seems sorta drastic to do the CPAP ritual going to sleep then waking up and doing the cleaning ritual. :) You would think with technology there would be a simpler approach, but maybe not. Now it's nice just putting the device in my mouth at night and going to bed. Waking up, I just brush it with my toothpaste and brush, then rinse it off. The only other thing I need to do is when I wake up, bite down on a preformed mouthpiece for a for minutes. That is supposed to put my jaw back in line so I don't get an overbite. We'll see how it goes in the long run. I still need to start using just the device without CPAP so my body can adjust to the different sleeping pattern. That is going to be the hard part. :(

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am

Well, Pugsy, you said it works well for lzicc.
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Dental devices can work well for some people and you were fortunate enough to be one of those people.
But, as he has confirmed again this morning, no one knows whether it works for him.
lzicc wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:53 am
I still need to start using just the device without CPAP so my body can adjust to the different sleeping pattern. That is going to be the hard part.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am

Hang Fire wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am
Well, Pugsy, you said it works well for lzicc.
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Dental devices can work well for some people and you were fortunate enough to be one of those people.
But, as he has confirmed again this morning, no one knows whether it works for him.
lzicc wrote:
I still need to start using just the device without CPAP so my body can adjust to the different sleeping pattern. That is going to be the hard part.
Actually a sleep study done with the device in place and without cpap proves it works for him.
Okay, I see now. Argumentative self. Have a nice day.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:05 am

As often argued here, a sleep study is just a one-night snapshot. Arguably, he'll know it works when he has been using it at home without CPAP, is able to tolerate the device and starts to feel healthy.

I do hope something works for him.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:08 am

lzicc wrote:
I was ok with the CPAP although it seems sorta drastic to do the CPAP ritual going to sleep then waking up and doing the cleaning ritual.
If 50% of your problem with CPAP is a daily cleaning ritual, you need to adopt a more reasonable cleaning ritual.

And what is with the nightly ritual? You just top off the water in the humidifier and put on the mask?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am

lzicc wrote:
I was ok with the CPAP although it seems sorta drastic to do the CPAP ritual going to sleep then waking up and doing the cleaning ritual. :) You would think with technology there would be a simpler approach, but maybe not. Now it's nice just putting the device in my mouth at night and going to bed. Waking up, I just brush it with my toothpaste and brush, then rinse it off. The only other thing I need to do is when I wake up, bite down on a preformed mouthpiece for a for minutes. That is supposed to put my jaw back in line so I don't get an overbite. We'll see how it goes in the long run. I still need to start using just the device without CPAP so my body can adjust to the different sleeping pattern. That is going to be the hard part. :(
If the approach is hard it's because because your thinking is making it that way. Putting the mask on and turning the machine on, ( 1 minute max), Cleaning mask (only if it needs it, last it, was 6 months ago. In reality, I changed it) Done and Done! Go ahead and Cry, the time you have to waste doesn't compare to scrubbing your toy with a dirty toothbrush.(You do keep it in the most germ laden room in the house, the Bath Room) As far as Sleeping Positions, I'm like Rover, I'm all over, I move the straps when needed don't open my eyes, I know where my head is at. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 am

I clean everything when I wake up so it can air out. Then at night, I fill the reservoir, strap my chin strap on a few times cause it slides off sometimes, then put my mask on. Then my wife decides she wants to talk to me, so off comes the mask, the chin strap then slides off. :) (Exaggerating obviously), but it still somewhat of a nuisance.

I believe the dental device is working. Over the weekend, I'll wear just the dental device and my sleeping is getting better than when I first started wearing it, but still not up to the CPAP standard yet. I have a smartwatch that monitors my sleep and that will give me an indication how well I sleep and it is starting to improve with the device only, but I am not prepared to give up the CPAP just yet.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 am

Seriously, was this a necessary response? I'm trying to help others out with my experience and this is the thanks I get? It seems to me that the only one crying here is you.
Goofproof wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am
lzicc wrote:
If the approach is hard it's because because your thinking is making it that way. Putting the mask on and turning the machine on, ( 1 minute max), Cleaning mask (only if it needs it, last it, was 6 months ago. In reality, I changed it) Done and Done! Go ahead and Cry, the time you have to waste doesn't compare to scrubbing your toy with a dirty toothbrush.(You do keep it in the most germ laden room in the house, the Bath Room) As far as Sleeping Positions, I'm like Rover, I'm all over, I move the straps when needed don't open my eyes, I know where my head is at. Jim

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:18 am

lzicc wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 am
Seriously, was this a necessary response? I'm trying to help others out with my experience and this is the thanks I get? It seems to me that the only one crying here is you.
Goofproof wrote:
lzicc wrote:
You "Believe" the device is working for you. Very Scientific! Response necessary, not for you, maybe for others planning to follow your path. Jim

Sounds like you are trying to convenience others to stop using the "Gold Standard of Sleep Apnea Treatment" and jump on the bandwagon dental device usage. With no proof of it working.
Last edited by Goofproof on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:23 am

lzicc wrote:
the best thing you can do with goofproof is to put him on your foe list. then you never have to see his comments unless you choose to.

best thing i ever did for my peace of mind here.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:18 am
With no proof of it working.
Actually there is proof.
A sleep study done while wearing the dental device and no cpap and the end result was an AHI of 3.
This was mentioned in the very first post.
That is an acceptable result.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 pm

lzicc wrote:
noise wrote:
lzicc wrote:
Some people do helpful... Jim doesn't.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm

lzicc wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 am
I clean everything when I wake up so it can air out.
Most people, after they've been on cpap for a while, decide that the morning cleaning ritual of cleaning everything is something that was designed by lawyers, the same ones that cover ladders in warning stickers "don't step on this, don't carry anything, actually, don't use this, just put it in your garage and let it cover dust, because you might fall off and sue us if you did"....

My morning ritual is "pull the mask off and drop it on the pillow".

Nine years ago, I cleaned a hose a couple times, then decided that was a waste of my time. I'll wipe the facial oils off the mask before I put it on, and wash it now and then if it looks like it needs it.

I'll vinegar my water tank now and then, when it looks like it needs it.

You do whatever makes you comfortable, but that's what *I* do.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

macewa

Post by macewa » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Interesting about your sinus problems. For me, I have extreme allergies, allergic to everything outside and this year have had some sinus problems. But for me, I will get on my machine in the middle of the day just to get the filtered air into my lungs/nose and it makes me feel soooooo much better.