Horrible dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoodyMolly

Horrible dry mouth

Post by MoodyMolly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Maybe someone has a solution that I haven't already heard? I have been having absolutely horrid dry mouth. I use a nasal pillow mask, humidifier set at 3, and I either use a chin strap or tape to keep my mouth closed. So I am not breathing through my mouth, but I will wake up many times a night with my mouth bone dry, and air pushing at my lips. My therapy has been suffering because of this, my ahi is at an average of 9. It seems like the air pressure is filling my mouth instead of pushing through the obstruction in my throat. I've tried changing my pressure between a min of 10-12, no change.

kaiasgram

Re: Horrible dry mouth

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm

I had the same issue and had to learn to keep my tongue plastered to the roof of my mouth all night, to keep the air going down my airway and not into my mouth. Otherwise, I'd get the dreaded "chipmunk cheeks" with air filling my mouth and leaking out through slightly parted lips, or periodically shooting out in "puffs." Even with taping, I still sometimes have the puffs of air if I change position and break the suction created from the tongue sticking to the roof of the mouth.

Sounds like there's enough mouth-leaking going on that it's affecting your therapy (in addition to causing the parched dry mouth).

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:20 pm

I have the same problem. I am having good luck with XyliMelts for Dry Mouth (Mint-Free). They are small disks that adhere to your gum or molar teeth and dissolve during the night keeping your mouth moist. I use one at bedtime and replace it when I awake for my middle of the night bathroom break.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Turn up the humidifier, use Biotene dry mouth wash, drink lots of water.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:30 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:20 pm
I have the same problem. I am having good luck with XyliMelts for Dry Mouth (Mint-Free). They are small disks that adhere to your gum or molar teeth and dissolve during the night keeping your mouth moist. I use one at bedtime and replace it when I awake for my middle of the night bathroom break.
+1

i fully recommend xylimelts. though i start out the night with two.

check your local drugstore.....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

MoodyMolly

Post by MoodyMolly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Thank you for the suggestions... I did try keeping my tongue to the roof of my mouth at the beginning of my therapy, I guess I'll have to work on training myself to keep doing it and see if it helps. I'd love to try xylimelts, but neither of the stores I go to have them, and the only other pharmacy in town doesn't seem to carry them either... I'll have to keep looking for them whenever I go out of town though.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 pm

MoodyMolly wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm
Thank you for the suggestions... I did try keeping my tongue to the roof of my mouth at the beginning of my therapy, I guess I'll have to work on training myself to keep doing it and see if it helps. I'd love to try xylimelts, but neither of the stores I go to have them, and the only other pharmacy in town doesn't seem to carry them either... I'll have to keep looking for them whenever I go out of town though.
I buy them at Amazon dot com.