New guy here. Why did they discourage a FF?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
32blownhemi

New guy here. Why did they discourage a FF?

Post by 32blownhemi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 am

Hello Everyone! When I took both of my sleep studies I asked for a FF mask. The guy discouraged it, wouldn't even let me try it. I said that's what I'd like to have when I got my machine. When I went to pick up my CPAP machine up the guy said my doctor ordered 2 different nose ones & I could have either one. I said I'd like a FF & he said "no" I need a script for it. I said I'd pay cash for it & still "no". Why do they discourage FF ? This is my second night trying to sleep with a nose one & I can't. I went to Amazon & found some but I'm confused. What do I need to order? Full face headgear & mask cushion? Does the frame come with the cushion? I was going to get a Fisher & Paykel. My doctor will probably write a script for a FF but I think Amazon would be quicker. I'm in a hurry. I haven't had a good nights sleep in a year. I'm going to try to sleep now without the mask. Be back when I wake up. Thank You! Bill

rcobourn

Re: New guy here. Why did they discourage a FF?

Post by rcobourn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 am

32blownhemi wrote:Hello Everyone! When I took both of my sleep studies I asked for a FF mask. The guy discouraged it, wouldn't even let me try it. I said that's what I'd like to have when I got my machine. When I went to pick up my CPAP machine up the guy said my doctor ordered 2 different nose ones & I could have either one. I said I'd like a FF & he said "no" I need a script for it. I said I'd pay cash for it & still "no". Why do they discourage FF ? This is my second night trying to sleep with a nose one & I can't. I went to Amazon & found some but I'm confused. What do I need to order? Full face headgear & mask cushion? Does the frame come with the cushion? I was going to get a Fisher & Paykel. My doctor will probably write a script for a FF but I think Amazon would be quicker. I'm in a hurry. I haven't had a good nights sleep in a year. I'm going to try to sleep now without the mask. Be back when I wake up. Thank You! Bill
I'm guessing you have a full beard or mustache and the tech took one look at it and said.. no way dude! Image

Good luck.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:32 am

Nasal breathing is considered healthier so doctors promote it.
Why are you insistent on using a FF mask?

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 am

It could just be the technicians in the lab that you went to. To be fair, many people find the nasal masks to be more comfortable and therefore from the technicians perspective, this will improve compliance/people not getting frustrated and giving up.

Many people find that at the optimal pressures, the mouth breathing actually stops and people start breathing "normally" through the nose.

All that said, if you can't keep your mouth shut still than the full face mask is a must because an open mouth reduces the effectiveness of therapy. Some people also try chin straps, soft cervical collars, mouth guards, mouth taping, and positional changes while using nasal masks, before resorting to a full face mask. And of course, if you happen to find the full face mask more comfortable, then no one should be able to tell you NOT to use it.

Fully assembled mask kits require a prescription - but the individual parts can be purchased without one, and then you can assemble yourself. There is the frame, cushion and headgear. Usually the item for sale will specifically denote what is and isn't included. For some masks, like the F&P Simplus Full-Face mask, you also need the swivel connector which is absurdly expensive for a small piece of plastic.

When I first met with my sleep doctor, he wrote me a prescription for a Bi-level machine, and gave me a copy of the prescription. I uploaded that to our host website, and I am able to buy whatever I want since it's tied to my account.

I would recommend buying one fully assembled full-face mask, say from our host's website, and then you can just buy an extra cushion or headgear as needed. From our host, there is an option for free 30 day returns insurance, so that lets you try out the mask and make sure it fits and functions well for you. I replace a cushion about once every 6 months, and the headgear about once a year.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am

Hello and welcome to the forum Bill,

Perhaps they think it will help you meet your compliance goals and stick with the CPAP treatment.

A nasal mask is lighter, less obtrusive and gives you more access to your face for the occasional itch. It has fewer straps to leave marks. It comes into less contact with your skin which gives you less chance of leaks and irritation.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a full face mask, I use one. If you have high pressures, and a sensitive nose, you may find the direct pressure up your nose that nasal masks can have to be uncomfortable. I do. But I think the majority of us would agree that finding the correct mask is a process and you have to stick with it.

I'm curious why you can't sleep with your nasal mask and why you are gravitating to a full face mask. What's going on? I'm confident someone here can help you with that.

Best of luck in your journey,

MrsRinPDX

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow
Last edited by MrsRinPDX on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 am

A more common complaint is techs pushing a full face mask
on someone who does not want it.
Doggone it!
Whose face is it, anyway?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am

You need a scrip (prescription) for the CPAP and the doctor would have also given one for the mask, usually on the same script.
a CPAP using requires a prescription and so does a CPAP mask. Mask parts do not require a prea=script is. That is why you see them more readily available. You may be able to get a mask prescription from your sleep Doctor.
As previously stated, our sponsor lets you try masks risk free, but they require a preseciption for masks.My sleep dostor readily gave me a prescription. I sent a copy to cpap.com and kept the original for future needs.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:03 am

Less Profit...
Slightly harder to fit... (Not Really).....
They do the job too simply for mouth breathers......

However "I" wouldn't let anything stand in the way of my XPAP treatment, even facial hair, vanity doesn't beat quality if life. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:03 am
Less Profit...
Slightly harder to fit... (Not Really).....
They do the job too simply for mouth breathers......

However "I" wouldn't let anything stand in the way of my XPAP treatment, even facial hair, vanity doesn't beat quality if life. Jim

I agree.. FF Masks are more expensive and the DME doesn't get paid any extra if they give you the more expansive mask. The doctors prescription should be for "Mask of patients choice". You should have the mask that you are most comfortable with. Most "good" DMEs will make mask exchanges within 30 days. Tell the DME you are going to switch to a different supplier and see how quickly they get cooperative. You should be able to to ANY DME that is in your insurance network. You choose...not your doctor. Call your insurance company.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:38 am

I can only relate my own experience. I am recent to CPAP, diagnosed in mid December. When we were trying on masks, and we did try on all they have available at my DME, they started with nose masks. I am ex-Canadian Army, and learned how to live 24/7 in a gas mask, full facial coverage, not just nose and mouth. So a full coverage CPAP mask would not be bothersome to me. But the therapist said that those who want and try the full face masks statistically have more leakage problems. She wasn't averse to my using one, only that her experience is that those who tough out the merely nasal mask do better in the long run and get better therapy, even if just 5%. I had no cause or expertise to question her or counter her assumptions and experience, so I accepted what she suggested and became determined to work only with a nose mask. It means taping my mouth, regrettably, but if I don't I get that blast of air out of my mouth as I sag and lose consciousness. What can I say except that my numbers are excellent, personally verified, and that both the tape and nose mask work well.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm

mesenteria wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:38 am
I can only relate my own experience. I am recent to CPAP, diagnosed in mid December. When we were trying on masks, and we did try on all they have available at my DME, they started with nose masks. I am ex-Canadian Army, and learned how to live 24/7 in a gas mask, full facial coverage, not just nose and mouth. So a full coverage CPAP mask would not be bothersome to me. But the therapist said that those who want and try the full face masks statistically have more leakage problems. She wasn't averse to my using one, only that her experience is that those who tough out the merely nasal mask do better in the long run and get better therapy, even if just 5%. I had no cause or expertise to question her or counter her assumptions and experience, so I accepted what she suggested and became determined to work only with a nose mask. It means taping my mouth, regrettably, but if I don't I get that blast of air out of my mouth as I sag and lose consciousness. What can I say except that my numbers are excellent, personally verified, and that both the tape and nose mask work well.
Kind of what we thought, if you didn't tape your treatment would suffer, and in many would cause treatment problems and failure. A DME shrikes again, Lucky you, were willing to tape.

The FF mask solves the problem without having to provide a second or third solution. Another thing

they seem to cool the face better, if you like that, I do. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Hopefully your sleep doctor won't write an Rx specifically for an FFM. Mine didn't, thank goodness. You need to be able to try a variety of masks until you find one that works for you. That may entail trying a nasal and/or nasal pillow mask or two if an FFM doesn't work out for you. You never know what'll work for you until you try them. I've tried all types of masks, looking for lower leaks and lower impact. Most people need to try a variety of different types and models before settling on one.

yourbrokenoven

Post by yourbrokenoven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Do I need a new prescription to change mask types?

I was thinking of trying out a nasal mask or whatever that snorkel looking dream wear thing was called since I can't find a full face mask that doesn't leak while I'm sleeping.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm

yourbrokenoven wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm
Do I need a new prescription to change mask types?
Only if you are dealing with an a**hole supplier like the one 32blownhemi has.

library lady

Post by library lady » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46 pm

I find that odd. At my sleep study, they had me try on first a nasal mask, and I didn't like it so then he put a FF on me. I liked it better. My RX was quite detailed, and requested "mask of choice" so nobody told me what to get. I looked at several, picked the Quattro Air, and stayed with it until the Airfit F10 came out and I've been using that one since. It uses the same mask, but the headgear and frame are different. What I like best about F10 is the lack of a forehead strap. I still have the old mask and headgear for backup, but it feels like too much stuff on my face now that I've become used to F10.

I'd suggest looking carefully at your RX, see exactly what is referred to for a mask. Is a nasal mask explicitly specified? If there's nothing specific, you should be able to ask for and get a FF mask of your choice.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.