I forgot

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Catnapper

I forgot

Post by Catnapper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:33 am

After using xpap therapy for over eleven years, I still forget how much difference it makes to go from a worn-out mask to a nice fresh new mask with properly snug headgear, well-fitted nasal pillows and sparkling clean machine with new filters and hose.

I use the Airfit p10 and the headgear stretches so fast it doesn't fit right in just a short while. I complain about not sleeping well, waking often to adjust my mask, stopping leaks and so on. Last night I started with everything new and perfect. I slept better than I have in over a month.

I admit that I don't fuss with my machine the way I did in the beginning, but I didn't sleep well then at all either. Over time my maintenance has slipped. I don't always change the filters as often as I should. I don't replace the pillows frequently enough. That headgear strap could be replaced every week. If I wash it in scalding water it returns to a nicer fit, but it takes a long time to dry so I have to have at least one spare for those nights.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson. I must have become a lazy old woman. I will try to amend my ways. After all, I would sleep better if I did.

Catnapper - Joanie

Pugsy

Re: I forgot

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:42 am

Which P10 headgear?
Blue/gray or pink/gray?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 am

That’s why I switched to F&P Brevida with adjustable headgear. Resmed P10 would stretch after 1 night of use.

Catnapper wrote:After using xpap therapy for over eleven years, I still forget how much difference it makes to go from a worn-out mask to a nice fresh new mask with properly snug headgear, well-fitted nasal pillows and sparkling clean machine with new filters and hose.

I use the Airfit p10 and the headgear stretches so fast it doesn't fit right in just a short while. I complain about not sleeping well, waking often to adjust my mask, stopping leaks and so on. Last night I started with everything new and perfect. I slept better than I have in over a month.

I admit that I don't fuss with my machine the way I did in the beginning, but I didn't sleep well then at all either. Over time my maintenance has slipped. I don't always change the filters as often as I should. I don't replace the pillows frequently enough. That headgear strap could be replaced every week. If I wash it in scalding water it returns to a nicer fit, but it takes a long time to dry so I have to have at least one spare for those nights.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson. I must have become a lazy old woman. I will try to amend my ways. After all, I would sleep better if I did.

Catnapper - Joanie

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 am

cub4bearin wrote:That’s why I switched to F&P Brevida with adjustable headgear. Resmed P10 would stretch after 1 night of use.
And you probably won't believe it when I tell you that I have been using the same headgear for over a year now and it's been washed maybe once or twice and then only because I was washing the vent holes in the frame and was too lazy to take the stretchy part off. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

Pugsy wrote:Which P10 headgear?
Blue/gray or pink/gray?
With the bedroom lights off, it's Black/Black! :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

. . . . Which reminds me; time to "pressure wash" my frames and wash/shrink my used headgear.
I keep spares, and do a bunch at a time.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am

Catnapper wrote:After using xpap therapy for over eleven years, I still forget how much difference it makes to go from a worn-out mask to a nice fresh new mask with properly snug headgear, well-fitted nasal pillows and sparkling clean machine with new filters and hose.

Catnapper - Joanie
i know what you mean! i'm the same way with the cervical collar i wear. i'll grumble and grouse about how my numbers keep rising. then i'll see a collar being recommended here and think "OH! maybe that's why i'm having crummy numbers." as soon as i replace it, it's back to the good numbers.

what a difference fresh stuff makes!!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am

chunkyfrog wrote:. . . . Which reminds me; time to "pressure wash" my frames and wash/shrink my used headgear.
I keep spares, and do a bunch at a time.
:lol: A new laundry sorting category: darks, brights, whites, heavy, delicates, headgear!

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 am

Goofproof wrote:
Pugsy wrote:Which P10 headgear?
Blue/gray or pink/gray?
With the bedroom lights off, it's Black/Black! :lol: Jim
Yes, but in this situation color could be real important because it relates to size and the chance of stretching out causing a problem.
When originally introduced the P10 colors didn't have a difference in sizing but now they do. The pink/gray is noticeably now smaller (and has been for some time now) and the chances of it stretching out so much as to cause a problem is less.

I have used the blue/gray...and had problems with it stretching out and I had to "shrink" it about once a month with the hot water wash trick. With the pink/gray headgear...it's not stretching out so bad that it causes a problem because it is smaller to start with and thus my small head can still manage to keep the tension optimal.
Since the blue headgear was larger to start with...put it on my small head and with its stretchiness it got too big rather quickly.
A lot is going to depend on the person's head size and where they like to wear the straps.

If someone is using the blue headgear and it stretches to fast...worth trying the pink.
Now if they are already using the pink and it stretches too much too soon...the hot water trick is about the best thing before getting new headgear...

BUT there are now little clips included in the P10 package to help with the stretching out thing even for either color. I haven't had to use them though. The pink headgear size even with the stretching it does ....still is okay on my small head without doing frequent hot water washes or using the little clip thingies to tighten things up.

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 am

Pugsy, I always ask for the blue/gray but they frequently send the pink/gray one because they decide "for her" would be better. That means I have small and extra small cushions which don't fit. I wear the medium ones but if necessary, I can use the large. The blue/gray one comes with medium and large. My DME prefers that I order by phone and have them mailed to me.

The pink strap is shorter than the blue one.

I did find the clips that come with the headgear, but the lazy old woman doesn't want to add one more thing to her nightly routine. Anyway, my hair gets tangled in them.

Nobody said this would be easy, now did they?

Goofproof is right, they look the same in the dark. I put a safety pin on the right side so I can tell how to put the mask on right side up without turning on a light if I get up during the night. The old woman often needs a break in the middle of the night.

Catnapper - Joanie

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 am

I have a pair of those little clips that I have never used.
First PM gets them!
:D

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm

The point of my post had to do with how much better I slept with the mask properly fitted and everything well maintained. You would think that after eleven years I would remember that. Also a point to make to newbies. (And Oldies, like me.)

I think the old woman also wanted to complain a bit.

Catnapper - Joanie

yourbrokenoven

Post by yourbrokenoven » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:51 pm

I feel kinda bad. I used to wash everything every few days.

Last year, I have never washed my headgear. I washed my mask... Maybe once a month. Probably less for the humidifier.

I'll get diligent when I get around to ordering that new mask.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am

I have been using the P10 for awhile and recently I cannot get my leak rates down. So I suspected a stretched-out headgear. I looked at the mask on cpap.com, thinking I might could use a replacement mask and keep the old one as a backup. I saw in the P10 description that since late 2016, there are clips included in order to adjust the strap. I was not sure if I had had my mask longer than that, so I looked in my order history, and I bought my P10 in March 2015! So I went ahead an ordered a new mask and am hoping that adjustment takes care of the leaks, because it is the most comfortable and least intrusive mask I have ever used.