Filter Mystery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bons

Filter Mystery

Post by Bons » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:41 am

I’m trying to figure out how and why the filters keep popping out of my ASV during the night sometimes with such force that they end up on the floor. Everything else on the table is undisturbed. One would think that the constant air flow into the machine would hold them in place.

My old ASV had a guard cap over the filters but Respironics apparently felt one is not needed for the 60 series. I didn’t have a problem for the first year but now it is frequent. And annoying as I live in an old and dusty house

Julie

Re: Filter Mystery

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:04 am

Do you have a cat?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:06 am

It's a known problem with the PR S1 models.
They fall out easily because nothing is there holding it in place and the least amount of back pressure and also cause it to fly out.
Like a cough or something.

Take a skinny rubber band and wrap it around the machine/humidifier to hold it in place. Skinny, skinny rubber band so that it doesn't block the air flow.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bons

Post by Bons » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 am

I blamed the cat until he died in August.

I must really be coughing or screaming in my sleep.

Rubber bands won’t work because of placement of filter in relation to control knob and buttons. I guess I’ll affix Velcro to the back of the machine and make a guard out of plastic canvas. $4000 machine and Respironics can’t add a 50 cents part!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Bons wrote:I blamed the cat until he died in August.

Rubber bands won’t work because of placement of filter in relation to control knob and buttons. I guess I’ll affix Velcro to the back of the machine and make a guard out of plastic canvas. $4000 machine and Respironics can’t add a 50 cents part!
A rubber band has been used by many people.

But, yeah, little poor design choices like that are some of the reasons I have a preference for Resmed.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Bons wrote:I blamed the cat until he died in August.

You can't put the rubber bands around the machine & humidifier horizontally? Avoiding the knobs etc altogether?

Bons

Post by Bons » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 pm

"You can't put the rubber bands around the machine & humidifier horizontally? Avoiding the knobs etc altogether?"

If I can find one that stretches enough. ASV is pretty large when attached to the humidifier. I'm nervous of rubber bands slipping and hitting the ramp or humidifier buttons alongside the power button - the three of them together are wider than the filter. I purchased some narrow elastic hairbands at the dollar store when picking up stuff for Sunday School this afternoon. I'll give those a try.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Bent paper clips?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Bent paper clips?
Glue magnets to unit, so the paper clips bent correctly will hold the filter in place. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

I've got the same machine you have and had the same problem for a while. I ran the rubber band so it just crossed over the end of the filter just a little bit and the problem was solved. Kind of line up the rubber band on a slight diagonal so that it missed the control knob but just catches the filter on the back.

Coughing was the culprit in my case. The problem was worse on my series 50 machine than on the 60 series ASV.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm just thought-experimenting here...insert the end of a round toothpick into the gap anywhere. Probably the top horizontal gap between the door and the shell of the appliance, or whichever side swings open the widest. Break off the rest of the toothpick. Getting it out later won't be a problem, insert the tip of a paring knife and gently pry to pop out the toothpick remnant. Then open normally.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 pm

mesenteria wrote:I'm just thought-experimenting here...insert the end of a round toothpick into the gap anywhere. Probably the top horizontal gap between the door and the shell of the appliance, or whichever side swings open the widest. Break off the rest of the toothpick. Getting it out later won't be a problem, insert the tip of a paring knife and gently pry to pop out the toothpick remnant. Then open normally.
What *ARE* you talking about? what 'door'?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 am

Well, I had a picture of a small door in the machine that is a filter housing. Or are we talking about a filter on something else?

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:56 am

Just stretch the pollen filter (black). I do it to all customer's filters I install. You can stretch the begebies out so don't go to town on it. :shock:

Some customers put tape on each side, over hanging the port opening. If you do the tape just an overhang about 1/16" to 1/8" on each side will keep the filter in place and still make it easy to install and remove the filter.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 am

mesenteria wrote:Well, I had a picture of a small door in the machine that is a filter housing. Or are we talking about a filter on something else?
We are talking about a filter on a cpap machine but with the model machine she has there is no door at all. Nothing to open or close.
The filter just sits in a little open box and sometimes it falls out too easily.
Not all cpap machines have filters behind doors of some sort.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.