Wife unable to tolerate CPAP noise.... Help!!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matt00926

Re: Wife unable to tolerate CPAP noise.... Help!!!!

Post by Matt00926 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

It should not be necessary to isolate and try to sound proof the machine itself...both my ResMed S9 VPAP and AirCurve 10 do not make any real noise. I would also be wary of accidentally blocking any vents for intake/exhaust.

I would first try a different mask, such as the ResMed P10 nasal pillows - which are notoriously quiet - to make sure it's not the mask itself. If that doesn't solve the problem, perhaps it's time for a newer machine.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

atwnsw

Post by atwnsw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry. 560P.
Pugsy wrote:
atwnsw wrote: My model # is DS6HFLG
That's the humidifier model number....not the machine blower model number.

Since you mention AFlex I know you are using the apap model....so it's going to be either the model 550 or 560...which is it?

If it is the model 550....the newer machines are indeed quieter in terms of blower/motor noise so a newer machine might help in that regard but if you wife is complaining of leak noise or breathing or venting noise then a quieter machine may not help because what she is hearing may not be related to the blower itself but instead related to something else.

With age it seems some machines do start making more motor noise and what was once a quiet machine isn't go quiet anymore.
If it's a problem for anyone...time for a new machine because we then start wondering about reliability as the machine's guts get more tired and old.

The model 550 was released in the early winter of 2009...so if that is how long you have had your machine and you are for sure the wife is hearing machine motor noise ....get a new machine. Past time.
I have used both brands...Respironics and ResMed and the ResMed motor noise is a bit less than Respironics. It's not a huge difference but it is there.
At least eliminate that possibility as to what is disturbing the wife.

Just remember that not all noise is from the blower and if what she is hearing isn't from the blower....a new machine may not help.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 pm

You are due for a new machine (PRS1's are not "10 to 15 years old" but 6 or 7 years old at most if purchased new). You do have a reason to replace it, as the noise is not normal (unless it's been there all along but you never used your machine).

But Medicare will not replace it "for free". It's like starting out all over again in terms of a 13 month capped rental with co-payments, then it's yours for good. Whether you will have any out of pocket costs for the monthly rental depends on your supplemental insurance coverage. They might require you to do a new sleep study (I think it depends on your state laws) and you will have to see your doctor for the RX and compliance documentation, so there may be additional out of pocket costs.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SBarrett

Post by SBarrett » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm

What about "white noise"? The sound of running water or rain on repeat can effectively block noise and be helpful in getting to sleep as a bonus. A fan can work as well.

My late husband and son were both volunteer firemen in our small NJ town so, please, I have to ask with concern if it's safe to have your machine cocooned on and under what may be flammable materials?

Additional Comments: Recall replacement: Presets: Ramp 5/14 Night 1--OK. Night 2 (1/10/23)--difficult--Ramp 5 feels very different with new setup

atwnsw

Post by atwnsw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Matt00926 wrote:It should not be necessary to isolate and try to sound proof the machine itself...both my ResMed S9 VPAP and AirCurve 10 do not make any real noise. I would also be wary of accidentally blocking any vents for intake/exhaust.

I would first try a different mask, such as the ResMed P10 nasal pillows - which are notoriously quiet - to make sure it's not the mask itself. If that doesn't solve the problem, perhaps it's time for a newer machine.
Since I sleep with my mouth open, am I correct these won't work?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Forget the newer machine nonsense and just get a newer wife and be done with it.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Forget the newer machine nonsense and just get a newer wife and be done with it.
Usually when wife complains about something, even if you could fix it, they will just find another thing to complain about. The complaint is seldom the real problem, just a symptom of unrest, and I don't mean sleep.

Could be a sign of upgrade. (Wife Version 2.01 or Better Still Dog Version 1.0)

A motor or fan noise will mask the noise, but it probably won't cure her next one. What did you do, you know it's your fault, fess up! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I’ve been using an S9 for nearly 5 years. It’s less than two feet from me and i cant really hear it. My wife cant either.

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I just started CPAP a week ago, so don’t have much experience with that to share, and I have a bedroom to myself. However, a career in sales over 30 years that meant lots of traveling, including internationally, led me to develop the following sleep habits which I think has made my initial CPAP experiences tolerable.

Every night,and I mean EVERY night I put in ear plugs, I always wear a sleep mask, and I always have a floor fan going, every night regardless of temperature. I also have the very quiet Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP auto machine. So now my bedtime routine now is put in earplugs, add chinstrap, add swift FX mask, and then put on the sleep mask on my forehead, hook up,hit “on”, go to sleep.

As for white noise, I have an iPod and an under the pillow speaker so I could download from iTunes ocean wave sounds, gurgling Brooks, or any other sleepy sounds to listen to if I wanted to.

OP mentioned that his wife had tried earplugs. For me, the only sound that I’m hearing is my breathing. I don’t hear the machine at all over the sound of the floor fan. Hopefully some of the ideas listed in this thread will help.

Southerngent1

Post by Southerngent1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Anthony,

I am much more bothered by the sound of mine as my wife. We run our central air a/c fan at night and it drowns out 90% of the noise of the machine.

sg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Let's take it easy on the OT's wife.
Trauma from losing loved ones is not a character flaw.

svo

Post by svo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm

...how about..??????? .....never mind it was just a childish passing thought!!!!!!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm

svo wrote:...how about..??????? .....never mind it was just a childish passing thought!!!!!!!
Much is forgotten if one lies twitching in ecstacy.
What the heck--go for it!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 pm

To Anthony,

Is the machine really noisy, or is your wife suffering from PTSD having been through stressful deaths on noisy respirators. I strongly suspect the latter. She needs to be treated for PTSD. Even without the CPAP issue, she needs this treatment to enhance her enjoyment of life!

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am

Yes, the Airfit P10 is very silent, but not a full face mask, so you'd have to use a chinstrap or tape if you mouth breathe.

Try to figure out if the noise that bothers your wife is from the machine, or from the mask, and use the various fixes others suggested depending on which it is.

Or buy a white noise machine, or use an app on a smartphone for white or pink noise, which tends to drown out any cpap noise.

Also, you might reassure your wife that you won't die like the relatives did. Tell her, "Honey, dying is the very last thing I plan to do."