Settings for Heat and Humidity for cold rooms

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robz

Settings for Heat and Humidity for cold rooms

Post by robz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 am

So I know that my own trial and error will be the determining factor.....Just looking to minimize the trial and error nights, that's all....I have airsense 10 machine....I have a heated hose.....when I first got machine, I tried to set humidity and temp......I found that I was getting a good amount of rainout......I love to keep my sleeping environment cold....so temp is around 60 in winter and summer......I ended up using auto setting, and this works good for preventing rainout, but I find that I still could use more moisture, or I should say, I would like to have more moisture......so just wondering is it better to have higher humid setting and more of middle to lower temp, etc....

Thank you for any responses.....

Pugsy

Re: Settings for Heat and Humidity for cold rooms

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am

You can set the humidity and hose air temp separately instead of on auto.
The higher the humidity setting the higher the chances of condensation happening with the cold bedroom especially at the mask level and even more so if you use a mask that has a short hose with it.

The hose air temp....that's just comfort temperature wise and rain out prevention. Other than holding on to the moisture cranked out by the humidifier the hose air temp doesn't give you more moisture. If you want more moisture you have to increase the humidifier setting.
I think auto setting is supposed to crank out 85% if I remember correctly on the AirSense models.

Right now I am using a setting of 6 on my AirSense humidifier...and heated hose set to max because with my P10 nasal pillow mask and it's short hose I get condensation in the nasal pillows if I use less hose air temp...and my bedroom normally runs around 60 degrees.
I would like to have a little more moisture but then I would likely use up all the water before I end my sleep and that wouldn't be good.
Night before last I got a little over 7 hours of sleep and there wasn't enough water left in the tank to spit at.
If I increased the humidity setting more and slept 7 hours the tank would likely run dry.
With the cold air and furnace drying things out here lately my ambient house humidity is really low so the humidifier is really having to work hard to keep up with my setting of 6 moisture output.
I checked my little gadget that tells me ambient humidity and its been running around 40% here lately...that's dry for my house.
Normally it runs about 60%.

There are ways of insulating the short hose or even long hose if you want to keep the hose air temp a bit lower and still try to prevent condensation at the mask if you want to set the humidifier at a higher than auto level for output.
So there is more than one way to get more humidity and try to avoid condensation.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AMK

Post by AMK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 am

Pugsy, when you turn the temp up to its highest setting, does it feel like you're breathing hot air? BTW ambient humidity in my house has been 16%....40% sounds tropical to me right now.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:06 am

AMK wrote: Pugsy, when you turn the temp up to its highest setting, does it feel like you're breathing hot air? BTW ambient humidity in my house has been 16%....40% sounds tropical to me right now.
Yeah, it sort of feels a bit like hot air but I quickly get okay with it. I know that I have to if I don't want to wake up with water in the hose or shooting up my nose. I could maybe reduce the hose air temp and add a short hose cozy or barrel cozy but the hot air isn't annoying enough to make me want to go dig out the short hose cozy or barrel cozy. I am a bit lazy.
Plus warmer air feels better to me than really cold air. So while the warmer air is maybe briefly a bit "warm" ...ice cube nose syndrome from the air being too cool is worse because it hurts and wakes me often during the night. Been there when I didn't have a heated hose and I don't want to go there again.

I have a choice of 2 evils and I choose the one that is the least annoying. It's something I have learned I just have to deal with in the winter with my preferred humidity needs and household ambient temps.

I do sometimes wonder if that 40% reading is correct because my nose sure doesn't feel like it during the day but I haven't wanted to know bad enough to go buy another gadget to verify the reading. It's also got a temperature thing and that appears to be correct based on what I set my furnace thermostat to.
Here lately my nose feels like it did when I lived in Vegas where 20% humidity is consider really high.
I have using my Simply Saline stuff like crazy here lately in an effort to get my nasal mucosa to not feel so dry during the day.
So maybe I do need a new gadget to verify ambient humidity....but then again I would still be needing the Simply Saline either way. Knowing the gadget was wrong isn't going to change how my nose feels. It feels what it feels no matter what any gadgets might say.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robz

Post by robz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

So maybe lower humidity setting with warmer temp setting.........I have to admit I like cooler air than warmer air shooting into the old nostril......if I had a lower temp and more humidity, with the cold room, am I setting myself up for disaster....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am

robz wrote:So maybe lower humidity setting with warmer temp setting.........I have to admit I like cooler air than warmer air shooting into the old nostril......if I had a lower temp and more humidity, with the cold room, am I setting myself up for disaster....
Maybe setting up for disaster in terms of rain out...maybe not.
Rain out is annoying but won't hurt you. Play with the settings until you find something that is a workable compromise for you in terms of air temp comfort and humidity comfort and preventing rain out.

There are ways to try to prevent condensation that don't always involve using higher hose air temps if that is what you prefer.
A lot depends on where the condensation is happening that is so annoying. Is it in the hose which causes a god awful noise or just at the mask???
There's more than one way to work things so we can get almost everything we want and be happy with the results.
We have to decide what we want and then explore the various ways to get what we want.

If you want cooler air but more humidity...there are things we can try to achieve that goal.

robz

Post by robz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 am

Yep, got it pugsy......I guess I just need to play around with it some......thank you for the tips....