NJ Transit Workers Contest Post-Crash Safety Policies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

NJ Transit Workers Contest Post-Crash Safety Policies

Post by D.H. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Really, they should not be penalizing employees for the "wait time" or charging them for testing that the job requires. Since these workers have health insurance anyhow (even absent Obamacare), we're only talking co-payment and possibly deductible.

Since the selection criteria is based on solid medical science, I don't think that this is illegal discrimination any more than charging an older person more for life insurance.

Link ===> https://www.courthousenews.com/nj-trans ... ken-crash/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: NJ Transit Workers Contest Post-Crash Safety Policies

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Your point?
My guess, but don't these same workers get paid considerably more than the rest of us?
First world whinge.

Gary_UT

Post by Gary_UT » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 pm

I have to have a DOT medical card for my job, Neck circumference and BMI are the criteria thy use to require a sleep study.

I was not compensated for my time to do the sleep study. I had to pay my copayment for the 2 sleep studies I have had, along with the copayment for the CPAP machine.

All in all it was about $600 dollars out of pocket, it was that or find another job.

It is what it is...

Gary

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 am

D.H. wrote: Since the selection criteria is based on solid medical science, I don't think that this is illegal discrimination
I can't let this go without comment.

I think that every single engineer/conductor should have an overnight sleep study. Not only do I think the way this was done is discriminatory but it also not based on the most recent medical evidence which points to the prevalence of OSA being very high in the general population and not just among fat people. This sort of thing does quite a disservice to those reading this in their newspaper and who are left thinking that OSA is only what happens to obese people. It also overlooks the engineers who are slim, but who nevertheless might have severe undiagnosed OSA, and who are still out there putting people's lives at risk.

Arlene (who at time of diagnosis of moderate OSA had a BMI of 24.9 and neck circumference 12.5" so using the guidelines for the screening process I would not have been tested )
Last edited by Arlene1963 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
D.H. wrote: Since the selection criteria is based on solid medical science, I don't think that this is illegal discrimination
I can't let this go without comment.

I think that every single engineer/conductor should have an overnight sleep study. Not only do I think the way this was done is discriminatory but it also not based on the most recent medical evidence which points to the prevalence of OSA being very high in the general population and not just among fat people. This sort of thing does quite a disservice to those reading this in their newspaper and now thinking that OSA is only what happens to obese people, and also to the engineers who are slim, but who nevertheless might have severe undiagnosed OSA, and are still out there putting people's lives at risk.

Arlene (who at time of diagnosis of moderate OSA had a BMI of 24.9 and neck circumference 12.5" so using the guidelines for the screening process I would not have been tested )
I couldn't agree more Arlene as a thin person who twice was diagnosed with moderate OSA.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:28 am

D.H. wrote:Really, they should not be penalizing employees for the "wait time" or charging them for testing that the job requires. Since these workers have health insurance anyhow (even absent Obamacare), we're only talking co-payment and possibly deductible.

Since the selection criteria is based on solid medical science, I don't think that this is illegal discrimination any more than charging an older person more for life insurance.

This was a new requirement hastily enacted and perhaps not sufficiently thought out. Going forward I would like to see them all tested regardless of BMI or neck size. As for the time spent off the job the state mandated disability insurance system should be able to compensate fairly for that.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 pm

I agree it was hasty and ill considered.

In this thread posted about the topic last year I wondered how exactly they identified those who were screened. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157285&p=1206415&hi ... s#p1206415

To pretend that they have dealt with this issue when in fact all they have done is target fat people really riles me.

There are surely better screening algorithms, including looking at clustered co morbidities like hypertension, nocturia, diabetes/prediabetes, high cholesterol. AFIB, arrythmias, along with BMI, gender, age and menopausal status in women. Limiting screening for OSA to BMI and neck circumference is pathetic, and cuts corners in haste, and frankly I am surprised that other employers have been able to get away with this.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:I agree it was hasty and ill considered.

In this thread posted about the topic last year I wondered how exactly they identified those who were screened. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157285&p=1206415&hi ... s#p1206415

To pretend that they have dealt with this issue when in fact all they have done is target fat people really riles me.

There are surely better screening algorithms, including looking at clustered co morbidities like hypertension, nocturia, diabetes/prediabetes, high cholesterol. AFIB, arrythmias, along with BMI, gender, age and menopausal status in women. Limiting screening for OSA to BMI and neck circumference is pathetic, and cuts corners in haste, and frankly I am surprised that other employers have been able to get away with this.
Most of these comorbidities are private under HIPAA;
while obesity and a fat neck cannot be hidden.
The only way to catch them all would be to test them all.
Probably at company expense.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: Most of these comorbidities are private under HIPAA;
thank you for teaching me a new word today!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 pm

"Comorbidity"?
Arlene used it first, with a space, (which is also acceptable, IMO).
I learned it when I was first diagnosed with OSA, as my AHI alone was insufficient,
but my hypertension put me over the hump to get treated.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 am

If they are really worried about sleep apnea I agree with testing them all since not just fat people have sleep apnea. I'm under BMI and neck circumference and have severe sleep apnea. We don't profile drug users right? We use random testing. At a minimum why not use random sleep apnea testing. Company should cover it as well as cost of doing business. When I have been drug tested for work I never was paid. Heck when I was finger printed I was paid for me time.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote: Most of these comorbidities are private under HIPAA;
The article states "Alleyne says he was scheduled for his yearly physical on Oct. 5, 2016, and was informed afterward by NJ Transit’s doctors that his BMI was over 35. As a result, he says he was taken out of service without pay until an overnight sleep study could be completed."

Is BMI private under HIPAA I wonder?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Generally speaking, anything that a company doctor finds that, in his or her opinion may have a negative impact on your ability to do your job, is going to be reported to management. Several years ago, I had a company physical when I signed up to be a driver for our van pool. Once they found out I had asthma, they notified the van pool office and I was immediately taken off the van pool driver's list. Even though my asthma was not severe, the company considered it to be detrimental for operating a company owned van.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm

So, HIPAA is secondary to safety.
It makes sense.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:So, HIPAA is secondary to safety.
It makes sense.
And Safety is secondary to Profit! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire