Sleep study shows No apnea or UARS, Trying Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
coconur

Re: Sleep study shows No apnea or UARS, Trying Cpap

Post by coconur » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 am

If you don't have a definite diagnosis and are thinking of starting a PAP therapy to see if it makes you feel better, there may be another alternative. There are dental appliances that move the lower jaw forward about 3mm. I successfully treated my mild apnea with one for over 6 years before I started using a cpap. The ones that aren't custom fitted are very inexpensive, so it might be a good option for a trial period. When I did start cpap therapy, it took a while to get my pressure high enough to get the same results as the appliance, but the knowledge that my issues *could* be treated helped me to keep at it with my doctor until we got the cpap to work for me.

Here is an example of a non custom device. There are others out there that allow the user to customize the fit, as well.
https://snoredoc.com/product/snore-doc- ... PbEALw_wcB

Note: If you have central apnea, or if you have an obstructive apnea with the obstruction in nasal area, this device won't help. It only keeps the airway of the throat open.

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am

Pesser wrote:
emreee93 wrote:
Pugsy wrote:Check out secondwindcpap.com for machine options if you are planning to purchase out of pocket.
http://www.secondwindcpap.com/

I don't know if it will help or not. Just making sure you have available choices if that's what you want to do.
Thanks for the site I will check it out. Do you know if they also send to the Netherlands/Europe ?
I just received my new machine (bipap auto) from secondwind. It took less than a week. They are in mid west US. I'm in Canada.

My AHI was 3.8. The cpap treatment did wonders and I feel much better now....good luck!
I am glad to hear that it worked for you! So you’re sleep study came in negative and you just basically bought a machine to try for yourself
Am I correct ?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 am

Emree - you don't have apnea and it seems really unlikely that you have UARS.

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:11 am

Julie wrote:Emree - you don't have apnea and it seems really unlikely that you have UARS.
Hee Julie . Yes I am also positive that I dont have apnea but still something makes me think I may have UARS what do you think about my sleep study results? I will be called by my physisican in an hour so I really hope he has some answers !

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 am

if you would have UARS there should be at least something in the hypnogram to support that. (not reaching the deeper sleep cycles, very fragmented sleep, Alpha-Delta-Sleep, ..)

that however can only measured in a lab study (full PSG - in contrast to in home PG)

Just using "RERAs" (based on only the flowpattern) to determine or rule out UARS is like ... well stupid.

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:17 am

Guest wrote:if you would have UARS there should be at least something in the hypnogram to support that. (not reaching the deeper sleep cycles, very fragmented sleep, Alpha-Delta-Sleep, ..)

that however can only measured in a lab study (full PSG - in contrast to in home PG)

Just using "RERAs" (based on only the flowpattern) to determine or rule out UARS is like ... well stupid.
Guest wrote:if you would have UARS there should be at least something in the hypnogram to support that. (not reaching the deeper sleep cycles, very fragmented sleep, Alpha-Delta-Sleep, ..)

Yes but I had a full PSG home test Here in Holland it is possible to do that. They also measured my sleep stages
Stage 1 1,4
Stage 2 56
Stage 3 25,5
R.E.M. 17.1

Is this normal ?

What is the difference between a home PSG and in lab PSG ? And what is alpha delta sleep ?
Last edited by emreee93 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:21 am

I think you find it easy to chase something you don't have rather than finding out what you do have... and whatever that is will likely get worse while you ignore it. Very strange!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 am

I don't know what the numbers should mean? % / total time in minutes / whatever?
emreee93 wrote:What is the difference between a home PSG and in lab PSG ? And what is alpha delta sleep ?
the most important difference to you is: they make some sort of EEG (the cables on your head!) - that is the only measurement to actually distinguish the sleeping-phase.

Alpha-Delta-Sleep is something which is sometimes (often) seen by UARS. You change between light and deep sleep very quickly and often. (as in: many arousals)

In home tests are good to check for sleep apnea - nothing more.

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 am

Guest wrote:I don't know what the numbers should mean? % / total time in minutes / whatever?
emreee93 wrote:What is the difference between a home PSG and in lab PSG ? And what is alpha delta sleep ?
the most important difference to you is: they make some sort of EEG (the cables on your head!) - that is the only measurement to actually distinguish the sleeping-phase.

Alpha-Delta-Sleep is something which is sometimes (often) seen by UARS. You change between light and deep sleep very quickly and often. (as in: many arousals)

In home tests are good to check for sleep apnea - nothing more.
Sorry I meant it in %. Yes they attached like 10 ceeg sensors to my head. So I think we mean the same thing

Thank you for the clarification about alpha-delta did not know about that yet

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

xxyzx wrote:
emreee93 wrote:
Julie wrote:Emree - you don't have apnea and it seems really unlikely that you have UARS.
Hee Julie . Yes I am also positive that I dont have apnea but still something makes me think I may have UARS what do you think about my sleep study results? I will be called by my physisican in an hour so I really hope he has some answers !
======

like guest said

you need a FULL channel PSG not an IHT to tell about UAR and other problems

Yes I understand but the IHT is full Chanel as well I mean they Used 12 eeg on my head. And the rest for my body. Is there a difference in PSG studies ? I am curious

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 am

emreee93 wrote: Yes I understand but the IHT is full Chanel as well I mean they Used 12 eeg on my head. And the rest for my body. Is there a difference in PSG studies ? I am curious
Some in home sleep studies are essentially as comprehensive in terms of data as some in lab sleep studies. Sounds like yours was very comprehensive.
There are different levels of comprehensiveness depending on the in home study. Some are very basic and some will do pretty much what an in lab study will do minus the live person watching things.

In terms of an in lab sleep study with a sleep tech in attendance there are more subtle nuances in breathing or arousals that might be spotted by a real live person watching things. So there's more to a sleep study than just measuring sleep stages or whether we are breathing or not and that's where a good sleep tech comes into the picture.

Now would a sleep tech watching you and your breath by breath sleeping spot anything any different than might be reported with an in home full channel sleep study??? Dunno...that depends on how good the tech is and if something happened or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 pm

emreee93 wrote:
Pesser wrote:
emreee93 wrote:
Pugsy wrote:Check out secondwindcpap.com for machine options if you are planning to purchase out of pocket.
http://www.secondwindcpap.com/

I don't know if it will help or not. Just making sure you have available choices if that's what you want to do.
Thanks for the site I will check it out. Do you know if they also send to the Netherlands/Europe ?
I just received my new machine (bipap auto) from secondwind. It took less than a week. They are in mid west US. I'm in Canada.

My AHI was 3.8. The cpap treatment did wonders and I feel much better now....good luck!
I am glad to hear that it worked for you! So you’re sleep study came in negative and you just basically bought a machine to try for yourself
Am I correct ?
Yes that is correct. You see I just borrowed a APAP and set the pressure as low as possible. My objective was NOT to determine if I had OSA but rather to see if I could sleep with a CPAP or APAP. My wife told me that I went to a few minutes without breathing (sometimes)....that was enough. Also I knew that if I had OSA and tried a machine no harm would be done. It turns out that if you have say 4 events per hour and sleep 6 hours....that's a big problem....at least for some people. In any event secondwindcpap.com is very good at giving quality at low prices. Their shipping is also very good. Try it!!

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am

@ Pesser

Yes what you are doing is what I also thought about and it is kind of the same experience my initial AHI was 4,4. I know it is low but almost all were hypoapnea's that lasted for an average of 30 seconds. I know it is a low number but still, It can not be good to have this every night and my girlfriend also heard me having difficulty breathing. It is so difficult beceause the doctors are the experts and they are so sure treatment would not help me, but yet there are so many people with low ahi's were CPAP works. I think I am going to try it out it is not something dangerous. However I would really like to have a doctor by my side which I do not have right now.

@ Julie

I fully understand you I should look for other answers, but it seems my doctor can not find any. They also tested lyme disease at the first blood test. We did so many tests already and I called with him yesterday he wants to send me to a centre for chronic fatique people. where they observate you and through fysio try to make you have more energy. But honestly I do not see a solution here as to my body being constantly so overly fatique and I am not a passive person that sits at home making the fatique worse. I am very healthy even though I am so tired I go outside try to do things. But I just stay so overly fatiqued. Furthermore he wants to send me to an internist that does full bloodwerk tests and looks into your urine. There are no further tests to do I think

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am

Emreee,

If you want to try pap therapy, I would say go for it. Just make sure you work with the experts on this forum to make sure you get a data capable machine and that you learn how to use sleepyhead to optimize your data.

49er

emreee93

Post by emreee93 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 am

49er wrote:Emreee,

If you want to try pap therapy, I would say go for it. Just make sure you work with the experts on this forum to make sure you get a data capable machine and that you learn how to use sleepyhead to optimize your data.

49er
I am going to buy the fisher and paykel icon + today with a ffm and a nose mask. Anyone with experience?