Does sleep apnea patients qualify for Disability

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nitro Dan

Post by Nitro Dan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:03 pm

Ah yes, falling asleep while driving was certainly the biggest scare for me, had my wife worried constantly.
Over 20 years in treatment...
Humidified REMstar Plus at 18 cm
Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow System....A Winner!

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 pm

My nephew fought with s/s on a total disaability for 5 years without any success. He has Arthiritis to the point that many days he cannot get out of the bed in the morning. He hired a s/s attorney and within 6 months was on full s/s disability. They also payed him for the five years back s/s, with interest. The attorney charged him half of what he got for the five years that he was denied benefits.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:My nephew fought with s/s on a total disaability for 5 years without any success. He has Arthiritis to the point that many days he cannot get out of the bed in the morning. He hired a s/s attorney and within 6 months was on full s/s disability. They also payed him for the five years back s/s, with interest. The attorney charged him half of what he got for the five years that he was denied benefits.
I don't think that's legal to charge that much. There is a $5300 cap or 1/4 of your settlement which ever one is LESS.

JeffH

SisterShotgun

Post by SisterShotgun » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 pm

I was on SSI, I did not qualify for SSD because I had only 38 work quarters instead of 40. I got the SSI for my back, I broke it twice, once in 1991 while I was a deputy and shot in the line of duty, and then when I was cleaning my house and fell off of a ladder.

SSI is income based. My husband's income is too high for me to receive benefits, however, if he were to make about $2000 less a month than he does then I would get some of the SSI benefits.
Before my husband and I got married SSI gave me $800 a month in California because I was living with my son, if I were living alone I would have gotten $1200 a month..You can't get rich off of SSI.

I was told that the apnea has to be severe in order for it to be a disability, with other complications along with it.

Here is the kicker about SSI, my son from a previous marriage cannot get SSI for his type 1 diabetes even though he can't attend public schools because he is considered a brittle diabetic and his daily activities are very limited. We were denied and appealed went to an Administrative law Judge Hearing and was denied there as well. My neighbor has a diabetic daughter who has SSI, but this child goes to public school, and can do anything she wants to do..

For those applying for SSI or SSD good luck and get a good lawyer.

jwong

Re: Does sleep apnea patients qualify for Disability

Post by jwong » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 am

Allow me to vent a little first.

By default I am functionally disabled. Conditions: Aortic dissection type II, pacemaker implant, cpap machine use. That is like being in a hospital bed attached to a breathing tube and a defribillator at the same time.

Can someone give me a good opinion on this. On normal levels my cardiologist says I am fine. I feel like crap. Can I make the claim to disability that the overall conditions are causing me problems? Like the combined effects of all my ailments are problematic.

It's like what came first the chicken or the egg only nobody knows. Medical tests are too expensive.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 am

Really?? Dont rip off the system.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 am

jwong wrote:Can someone give me a good opinion on this. On normal levels my cardiologist says I am fine. I feel like crap. Can I make the claim to disability that the overall conditions are causing me problems? Like the combined effects of all my ailments are problematic.
You can claim anything you want but that doesn't mean that they will allow what you claim.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 am

jwong wrote:Allow me to vent a little first.

By default I am functionally disabled. Conditions: Aortic dissection type II, pacemaker implant, cpap machine use. That is like being in a hospital bed attached to a breathing tube and a defribillator at the same time.

Can someone give me a good opinion on this. On normal levels my cardiologist says I am fine. I feel like crap. Can I make the claim to disability that the overall conditions are causing me problems? Like the combined effects of all my ailments are problematic.

It's like what came first the chicken or the egg only nobody knows. Medical tests are too expensive.
Hi Jwong,

I would look for a good disability attorney in your area and seek his/her advice. If they agree to take your case, most of them will not charge a fee unless you win your case for disability. I forget exactly how much but I think if you do a google search, you can find it.

As an FYI, if you have a legitimate case and your potential attorney can advise you on that, it is very hard to win the first go around. It takes many people at least three times to win disability although of course, your mileage will vary.

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 am

AMESS wrote:Really?? Dont rip off the system.
AMESS, as one who felt you have been the subject of unfair attacks, I feel you are completely out of line. You know absolutely nothing about the OP's situation other than what was posted.

And you do know it is very hard to get SSI, SSDI, right, and that if someone does end up getting it, it takes several attempts?

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 am

Plz do NOT rip off the system.Terrible now. We dont need more.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:31 am

49er wrote:And you do know it is very hard to get SSI, SSDI, right, and that if someone does end up getting it, it takes several attempts?
Making no reference to the OP, there is a lot of fraud and waste in the Disability system just like there is in any government program.

I have known and read about too many people scamming the system because the were too fat to work (personal choice in most cases), unable to make it to work consistently (allergic to work apparently), or were too unintelligent (mentally disabled) to perform a job. Sorry, but if a person can manage to do other things in life (party, have children, do other things they enjoy), they CAN perform some sort of job for pay.

We would all like to not have to work, but most of us do our best and wait until retirement. Then there are those who would rather not work and only do things they enjoy - at the expense of working people.

Yes, there are people who, through not fault of their own, are truly disabled and deserve to be taken care of, but there is also a LOT of fraud by people who *could* work, but scam the system. Do I blame them? Not most of the time, I blame the government for creating yet another program to make people dependent on mommy and daddy government so they can continue to grow and "take care of the people".
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am

No, but it does qualify for buming off others rather that using XPAP to get your life back.... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm

People--please do NOT rip off the system.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 am

AMESS wrote:People--please do NOT rip off the system.
You keep spouting off this boilerplate response having no idea what you are talking about. If you want to argue intelligently, read the beginning of this thread which shows that it is usually very difficult to get disability and one has to go through several steps to get it. Things have not changed.

49er

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 am

AMESS wrote:People--please do NOT rip off the system.
Obviously, you could qualify. Mentally disturbed