FFM extremely annoying

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxINTJ

FFM extremely annoying

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 am

I have been using an Amara View for 5 days now with the borrowed ASV and getting really, really good data. These last 2 days I actually feel a tiny bit less tired.

However, I am waking up too early and the first thought on waking is to rip the horribly uncomfortable mask off. I then go back to sleep for a while. When I was using my Dreamwear mask, I could wake up, change position, and go right back to sleep. But the Dreamwear had too many leaks (through my mouth)

This is really sucking. Seems like I can either have more poor sleep or less good sleep - why can't I get more of the good sleep?

Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

A MESS

Re: FFM extremely annoying

Post by A MESS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:10 am

Oh yeah. Same feeling here. I think the effects of junk on our faces. Abnormal. Restless nights sleep-wake etc.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 am

MaxINTJ wrote:why can't I get more of the good sleep?
When I find the answer I will let you know. It's a journey I am still on it seems.
Even with a perfect or semi perfect mask we don't always get what we want in terms of sleep and it isn't always related to cpap or the mask or sleep apnea. Today short hours of sleep last night because I have to be somewhere this morning. Damn...and I was sleeping so good until the alarm went off. Dogs and cats were quiet for a change but the damn alarm went off. Always something....

I do wish that you would at least try a mask liner with the FFM. I know you think it will make you too hot but it might not and it might help.
Maybe just a DIY liner made out of an old T shirt first. No need to spend the big bucks on store bought unless you find out it isn't nearly as bad as you think.
When things settle down a bit here on the home front I plan to do a DIY liner with my Amara View and see if it makes me too hot. I don't like hot either. I just haven't had time lately to do much experimenting.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 am

If you want to make a liner for the Amara View, PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of the pattern I used when I made liners for that mask.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 am

Pugsy wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:why can't I get more of the good sleep?
When I find the answer I will let you know. It's a journey I am still on it seems.
Even with a perfect or semi perfect mask we don't always get what we want in terms of sleep and it isn't always related to cpap or the mask or sleep apnea.

OK, there is no such thing as a "perfect" CPAP mask - that's like saying there's such a thing as a "perfect" crutch. It's still a crutch, it still is an extra thing to deal with. Sure, it helps you get around, but it's still inconvenient and intrusive.

So I don't expect perfect. All I want is the least intrusive device, and I have one - it just doesn't work correctly - or maybe it's my mouth that doesn't work correctly.
Pugsy wrote:Today short hours of sleep last night because I have to be somewhere this morning. Damn...and I was sleeping so good until the alarm went off. Dogs and cats were quiet for a change but the damn alarm went off. Always something....
Those late night parties start to do you in when you get old
Pugsy wrote:I do wish that you would at least try a mask liner with the FFM. I know you think it will make you too hot but it might not and it might help.
Maybe just a DIY liner made out of an old T shirt first. No need to spend the big bucks on store bought unless you find out it isn't nearly as bad as you think.
Since I'm not having leaks with the View (once I get it situated) what purpose would a mask liner serve? And yes, I think yet another layer of "stuff" on my face would only make things worse.

It's bad enough now, that I don't even bother undoing any straps, I just force the mask off as quickly as possible.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 am

As I said I dumped Amara view cause I could not get a decent seal. It blew up and farted all night. Talk about no sleep. I had a size small and it was too big. I transferred to res med Air Fit FX with the foam mask. Been on it now about 6 days. Getting 98 on res med score and NO leaks. Still no quality sleep. Wake up in the middle of the night--have to adjust mask. No masks are great. Giving this one a 7. Thats it. Still bulky. I use no liners and do NOT get hot. My insurance covers the replacement. If no insurance you pay. Do not know replacement cost.

Foam adheres to nose and once it wont come back to original shape--its out the door.
Foam piece has to be replaced about once a month. Have not reached this point yet.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am

The PERFECT mask does not exist. You have to decide which mask is the BEST for you . It will never be perfect, but will be the least intrusive and with the least amount of leaks. If you want to eventually feel somewhat better you have to use your machine and mask.... whatever one that may be. Why do you think most of us keep experimenting when a new mask comes out... we use the "best" one we have found, but will try the new mask to see "if" it is better that the one we are using . Pugsy will tell you the same thing, we both use the P10, but when a new mask comes out "we gotta try it" ... just in case its better.. This therapy is no picnic with all the gear we have to use BUT, as I see it you have two choices.... 1. put up with the minor annoyances or 2. don't use it at all and let your osa get worse. Its all a matter of accepting what you HAVE to do, example: what if you lost a limb and had to use a prosthetic to get around or had to use a wheel chair... now that is much, much worse.. stop striving for perfect, it does not exist.

PS.. a mask liner does help and is not too hot..
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am

nanwilson wrote:The PERFECT mask does not exist. You have to decide which mask is the BEST for you . It will never be perfect, but will be the least intrusive and with the least amount of leaks.
I already said there's not a perfect mask

And in my case, the least intrusive has the most leaks and the most intrusive has no leaks. So, they contradict each other. There is no middle ground. Since I chose the least intrusive mask as my first mask, there is no need to try and find one more comfortable. As for my intrusive mask, it's the least intrusive FFM there is - until someone makes a new one.
nanwilson wrote:If you want to eventually feel somewhat better you have to use your machine and mask.... whatever one that may be. Why do you think most of us keep experimenting when a new mask comes out... we use the "best" one we have found, but will try the new mask to see "if" it is better that the one we are using . Pugsy will tell you the same thing, we both use the P10, but when a new mask comes out "we gotta try it" ... just in case its better..
And if they ever come out with an Amara View type mask with a top mount hose, I will try it. Until then, all the FFMs are more intrusive.

This therapy is no picnic with all the gear we have to use BUT, as I see it you have two choices.... 1. put up with the minor annoyances or 2. don't use it at all and let your osa get worse. Its all a matter of accepting what you HAVE to do, example: what if you lost a limb and had to use a prosthetic to get around or had to use a wheel chair... now that is much, much worse.. stop striving for perfect, it does not exist.

PS.. a mask liner does help and is not too hot..[/quote]

Some people say they aren't hotter, but how can an extra layer not be warmer?

As for minor annoyances, so far they aren't very minor. Still not getting anywhere near what I need for good sleep with either mask, I wake my wife up and get worse sleep with the comfortable mask, get less sleep with the uncomfortable mask but don't wake my wife up. The uncomfortable mask is building up significant neck tension/pain, so I'm just waiting for something to give out. I figure it will happen just as I finish PT for my first neck injury caused by adjusting to CPAP.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

One of the things I noticed when I first started my CPAP journey was that I tended to wake very early in the AM and not be able to go back to sleep. So for the first three months or so, I would wake at 5 AM or so, feel good and get up. I think the shock of getting quality sleep caused me to wake with the former normal amount of sleep. QAfter three months or so, I started sleeping longer and longer, Now I wake at 6:30 or 7.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 am

[

PS.. a mask liner does help and is not too hot..[/quote]

Some people say they aren't hotter, but how can an extra layer not be warmer?

As for minor annoyances, so far they aren't minor. Still not getting anywhere near what I need for good sleep with either mask, I wake my wife up and get worse sleep with the comfortable mask, get less sleep with the uncomfortable mask but don't wake my wife up. The uncomfortable mask is building up significant neck tension/pain, so I'm just waiting for something to give out. I figure it will happen just as I finish PT for my first neck injury caused by adjusting to CPAP.[/quote]

MAX
Stop over thinking, that does not help you. A mask liner is not just my opinion to not be hotter, that's so many of us have used them. Please note, the silicone of a mask is hotter as it does not breathe, but a cotton liner does, therefore it is not hotter just because you THINK so. Suggestion: take an old cotton t-shirt, lay it flat on the table, place your mask on the t-shirt and draw the outline of the mask... plus an inch all the way round, now cut that drawing out and cut a hole for your nose and mouth. Tonight place it on your mask, put your mask on and go to bed. Now you have not wasted one dollar by using an old t-shirt and you can see in morning if its better or not. Trying out something is not a waste of time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, you will have at least "tried". If this works, then go to padacheek.com and buy one of Karen's, hers last a long time and are washable
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 am

I have a couple (or more) full face masks, for use when I have absolutely NO CHOICE.
So far, two have never been used.
I am so spoiled for nasal pillows!

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 am

I personally do not like mask liners, but not because they're hot; they just don't help me. On the other hand, my husband uses one for his FF mask (from Karen at Pad-a-Cheek). He can't stand to be hot, and this does not make him hot. He has a heated hose...but it's turned off. Humidifier down at 1. He'd probably be comfortable with a window open at 20 below (a big exaggeration, but you get the point!). IMO, if there's even a possibility that it could help just give it a try. They're not that expensive.

Oh, and when someone finds the answer to a good night's sleep, PLEASE let me know!

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

TASmart wrote:One of the things I noticed when I first started my CPAP journey was that I tended to wake very early in the AM and not be able to go back to sleep. So for the first three months or so, I would wake at 5 AM or so, feel good and get up. I think the shock of getting quality sleep caused me to wake with the former normal amount of sleep. QAfter three months or so, I started sleeping longer and longer, Now I wake at 6:30 or 7.

My alarm is set for 5:00 and has been for years (during the week). It would be nice to sleep to the alarm instead of having to get up at 3:30 or 4:00.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I have a couple (or more) full face masks, for use when I have absolutely NO CHOICE.
So far, two have never been used.
I am so spoiled for nasal pillows!
Yeah, the Dreamwear is as close to perfect as I'm ever going to get for comfort.

It's a shame I can barely keep my mouth shut when I'm awake and have been unable to when I'm asleep.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am

MaxINTJ wrote:
TASmart wrote:One of the things I noticed when I first started my CPAP journey was that I tended to wake very early in the AM and not be able to go back to sleep. So for the first three months or so, I would wake at 5 AM or so, feel good and get up. I think the shock of getting quality sleep caused me to wake with the former normal amount of sleep. QAfter three months or so, I started sleeping longer and longer, Now I wake at 6:30 or 7.

My alarm is set for 5:00 and has been for years (during the week). It would be nice to sleep to the alarm instead of having to get up at 3:30 or 4:00.

My point was not what time you or I need to arise, rather it was that when I started PAPing I was sleeping less than normal, then as time went by my sleep returned to a more normal schedule. Max, it seems like you are really fighting things. Any particular reason why?
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very