Anyone love their chin strap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
psavage

Anyone love their chin strap?

Post by psavage » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:34 pm

I'm having a devil of a time with my chin strap and keeping my mouth shut. It's annoying to have my mouth pop open and have air rush out, along with being counter productive to the cpap. I find myself blowing raspberries during the night. If I tighten the strap up any more I'll have bruises on my chin. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Anyone love their chin strap?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Which mask are you using?

Maybe you can fill out your equipment profile so it will show every time you post - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:15 pm

psavage wrote:I'm having a devil of a time with my chin strap and keeping my mouth shut. It's annoying to have my mouth pop open and have air rush out, along with being counter productive to the cpap. I find myself blowing raspberries during the night. If I tighten the strap up any more I'll have bruises on my chin. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?
I have been using my chinstrap nightly for the last 4 years. This is my only way to keep my mouth from opening wide. Presently, I am looking at a PAD A CHEEK for the Ruby Chin Strap which is made of 100% polyester micro fleece and wraps around the chin strap to make it friendlier to the skin.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:43 pm

psavage wrote:I'm having a devil of a time with my chin strap and keeping my mouth shut. It's annoying to have my mouth pop open and have air rush out, along with being counter productive to the cpap. I find myself blowing raspberries during the night. If I tighten the strap up any more I'll have bruises on my chin. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?
That's what full face masks are for.....No need for chinstraps...no raspberries

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:58 pm

LSAT wrote:
That's what full face masks are for.....No need for chinstraps...no raspberries
That is the theory. However when your chin falls out of the mask it means you also need a chinstrap.

I usually sleep on my side but lately I have problems with my shoulders, the right has some bad arthritis in it and I did something to the left somehow too. So now it hurts to sleep on either side and I woke up on my back with the bottom of the mask in my mouth.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:38 pm

My chin strap gave me joy when I mailed it to someone who hoped it would help them better than it did me.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:42 pm

If it gives you Joy, you probably aren't using it correctly. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:33 pm

I tried two different chin straps and ended up throwing both of them in the trash. I use a cervical collar to keep my mouth closed at night.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Larry in Cincy

Post by Larry in Cincy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:59 pm

I need a chin strap. Cant use a fullface. Tried 10 or 15 to no avail.
I then tried numerous chin straps unsuccessfully. They all failed at staying in place and kept moving around and allowing my mouth to open. I then tried the "Ultimate" chin strap and it works great. It has 4straps instead of 2. They are kind of expensive but worth it in my book. One will last for a couple of years. works well for me.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:37 pm

I love my chin strap so much I put it on my Christmas list

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... hleak.html

I hope Santa brings me a replacement so I can carry on using my nasal pillow mask ...

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:10 am

Okie bipap wrote:I tried two different chin straps and ended up throwing both of them in the trash. I use a cervical collar to keep my mouth closed at night.
+1

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:12 pm

I tried several chin straps in the early going and never found one that worked. All of them went in the garbage years ago.
Fortunately I have no problems with my full face masks but fully sympathize with those who can't make them work.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Larry in Cincy wrote:I need a chin strap. Cant use a fullface. Tried 10 or 15 to no avail.
I then tried numerous chin straps unsuccessfully. They all failed at staying in place and kept moving around and allowing my mouth to open. I then tried the "Ultimate" chin strap and it works great. It has 4straps instead of 2. They are kind of expensive but worth it in my book. One will last for a couple of years. works well for me.
The ultimate interfere with masks straps.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

psavage

Post by psavage » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:24 pm

I did post my equipment, albeit perhaps too late for you to see. My mask is an Eson nasal mask. I do use the pad a cheek cushions on it as well. I have used this chin strap for around 18 months but because my pressures have increased to 15, I need to change my normal routine. BTW, I did try a full face to no avail. It leaks everywhere even with a mask liner, so I'm back to the nasal mask. Thanks.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:39 pm

The only way to keep my lower chin from dropping and ruining my treatment is by using a chin strap. Take a look at the LEAK graph: