Mouth opening while sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jagzoo

Re: Mouth opening while sleeping

Post by jagzoo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi, the solution that I have found to my mouth opening slightly and allowing air to escape is to use a soft cervical collar. This seems to give my mouth just enough support to rectify the problem. They come in all different widths and lengths on Amazon. I tried the chin strap once and hated it - but this works well for me.

MamaBear2016

Post by MamaBear2016 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm

LSAT wrote:The full face mask or possibly a chin strap to keep your mouth closed may solve your problem. Please fill in your equipment in the Control Panel so we know exactly what you are using...also. what are your pressures?
I just did the equipment but it only shows the mask. My CPAP is the Remstar Auto Aflex M048142 DS560SR. The pressure range is set from 5-7.

Mask: Eson 400451.

By the way, does being a side sleeper help all of this? I've been one for decades, probably from the original apnea.

Reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if this whole thing is futile anyway. I had the obstructive apnea for too long before being treated, any way. I started feeling like I had memory holes, like tip of tongue for certain words. Possibly brain damage from hypoxia?

I'm 68 and still enjoying the martial arts that I started at age 50. 2 years ago, I returned to the original school that I went to, from 1998-2003. But I still haven't been able to test for my next rank. In the spring, I was remembering my 13 forms and assorted other material pretty well, but over the summer, the school wasn't air conditioned and it felt like my brain was falling apart when I got heated up, and I couldn't remember things. So I still haven't tested, after 2 years of being back, but I need the aerobic exercise for a heart condition, and this the the only form of exercise that's ever kept it interesting for me, and I didn't get bored and quit after a few months.

I understand that as we age, heat is more of a problem, but wonder how much of it is being caused by the apnea, mouth blowing open, etc.
MamaBear2016

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:00 pm

MamaBear2016 wrote:
LSAT wrote:The full face mask or possibly a chin strap to keep your mouth closed may solve your problem. Please fill in your equipment in the Control Panel so we know exactly what you are using...also. what are your pressures?
I just did the equipment but it only shows the mask. My CPAP is the Remstar Auto Aflex M048142 DS560SR. The pressure range is set from 5-7.
just put "560" in the equipment comments.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:06 pm

I have struggled with opening my mouth and jaw drop during the 6 years I have been with this therapy. What I have found works well for me is a chin-up strip, and tape. I use the gentle paper tape, and I make an X over my mouth, with the two strips crossing in the middle (obviously). The chin-up strip helps keep my jaw from dropping, and the tape helps keep my lips together. From time to time, I try something different but I keep coming back to this.