Tap pap - mouth opens as soon as I fall asleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vev15

Tap pap - mouth opens as soon as I fall asleep

Post by vev15 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:07 pm

I think I'm having problems with the tongue placement.
When I'm using tap pap but awake, the tongue is close to the teeth.
When I fall asleep the pressure goes into the mouth and opens it.
I think it's because the tongue is falling back. When I awake and pull the tongue back the same thing happens.
Also the tongue doesn't try as it would on a normal sleep. Happened once and i sleep well, but not again.

vev15

Re: Tap pap - mouth opens as soon as I fall asleep

Post by vev15 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:09 pm

try=dry

DeepFriedDuck

Post by DeepFriedDuck » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Do you have a question?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Sorry but your post is very confusing to me in terms of detail. Anyway, I think the problem is the Tap Pap and the way it tries to support the chin. Google and look at the pictures of it... it's apparent to me that it really can't prevent the jaw from dropping down (the force vectors look wrong) or one's tongue from falling back or even one's lips from parting. The mechanics of the mask look all wrong to me. If someone can demonstrate it works for them then I'm willing to listen.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:it's apparent to me that it really can't prevent the jaw from dropping down (the force vectors look wrong) or one's tongue from falling back or even one's lips from parting. The mechanics of the mask look all wrong to me. If someone can demonstrate it works for them then I'm willing to listen.
You know I did use the Tap Pap for well over a year until the lure of the new P10 got to me.
It's not designed to keep the jaw from dropping or the tongue from falling back or one's lips parting...no nasal pillow mask is designed to do any of those things. They are things the person has to do no matter what nasal pillow mask they use...or for that matter any nasal mask.

The mouth guard is there to provide a place to support and stabilize the nasal pillows....that's it. It's not designed to keep the jaw in place or tongue in place or the lips closed.

When I used the Tap Pap the nasal pillows never move and once the mouth guard was properly fitted I would wake up in the morning and not even know it was in my mouth.
Main reason I switched to the P10 was right about the time the P10 came out I ended up with a bad tooth (behind the mouth guard but still aggravating) that needed some old fillings redone and I was using the P10 through the dental work and I got lazy and just never got around to refitting the mouth guard.
The P10's minimal headgear kinda won out over the mouth guard.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.