Mouth breathing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dr. CEK

Re: Mouth breathing

Post by Dr. CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:56 am

I am guessing there is a problem that is being missed. I tried Username CEK and the password I thought I used and the temp passwords you guys sent me. Just now I ask for a password reset via email and that temp number is not letting me logon. Can we somehow start over? And I have to use Dr. CEK to post this.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Log out, register as if new, pick a new name altogether and an avatar pic, then see what happens... if it works, use it to explain who you are (Dr. CEK) and I think at this early (one day) stage people will catch onto who you are, esp. when they see the picture.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 pm

2" 3M tape worked better than the chin strap for me. It keeps your mouth 100% closed and my wife would tell you she loved that.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:19 pm

CEK has been registered. Go to "login" at the upper right first. At the prompt enter your name, CEK, and the password.

OR

Dr. CEK has not been registered as far as I can tell. Go to the upper right of the page and click on "Register User Name" do not try to log in or sign in first. Click on "Register User Name" and follow the instructions.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:48 pm

So Flying Moose came up with an idea that sounds a lot like yours. Unfortunately he has taken his pictures down, but if you read through the thread you will get the gist of it. The last we heard from him was when I asked if he had contacted a patent attorney yet. So, unless you are Flying Moose, you may be a day late (and a dollar short).

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Pugsys post were where she posted as CEK has been removed too.................... phantom deleter at work
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:17 pm

nanwilson wrote:Pugsys post were where she posted as CEK has been removed too.................... phantom deleter at work
It's still there Nan.....................

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 pm

LSAT wrote:
nanwilson wrote:Pugsys post were where she posted as CEK has been removed too.................... phantom deleter at work
It's still there Nan.....................
Sorry... my brain is on holiday I guess .. either that or I'm going blind (or both)
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:00 pm

avi123 wrote: Reply:
What ever you develop and sell you'll be infringing on U.S. patents,
in the field of:
DEVICE TO PREVENT MOUTH BREATHING
That's cool Avi. Did you check the date, 1920?

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Too tall wrote:2" 3M tape worked better than the chin strap for me. It keeps your mouth 100% closed and my wife would tell you she loved that.
TAPING MOUTH'S LIPS

If you tape your mouth’s lips because you want to reduce your mouth air leak and thus improve the XPAP treatment, then you’re likely to invite a Meteorism situation. In such a situation you lock- in extra ingested air in your GI tract. The extra air has no easy way to go and be vented to the atmosphere. You better off keeping your mouth somewhat open to let some trapped air go out to the atmosphere, even if this mouth air leak has some negative effect on the XPAP’s proper treatment. An elastic Chinstrap that allows some mouth opening could solve this problem. “Meteorism”, is a similar medical term to “Aerophagia”, but the latter term is used more often for intestinal air distention resulting postoperatively.

If you are taping your lips to avoid a Dry Mouth condition then the taping don't stop air from entering your mouth from the nose and throat, i.e. from the "back side" (pharynx). Usually, when you swallow your saliva which is generated in the salivary glands around the mouth, and then it is secreted into the mouth and subsequently you swallow it (also during sleep), if your lips are air tight then the air must come in from the back to replace the swallowed saliva's volume. So this air circulation, from the "back side", will dry your mouth in spite of taping your lips. The problem could be to a lesser degree than from an untaped mouth b/c the air from the pharynx is moister. But, it is clear that taping your mouth to completely prevent a Dry Mouth, is impossible. You better of with an elastic Chinstrap which would prevent opening your mouth very wide but would allow some lips opening to let air be breathed from the front. However, using a Chinstrap instead of a full face mask would cause the XPAP's treatment to be negatively affected somewhat depending on the amount of air lost and not controlled by the XPAP.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
avi123 wrote: Reply:
What ever you develop and sell you'll be infringing on U.S. patents,
in the field of:
DEVICE TO PREVENT MOUTH BREATHING
That's cool Avi. Did you check the date, 1920?
There should be someone who holds a patent to this which is valid to day, but it takes time to find out who.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Avi, both your notes are incredible stupid nonsense and you really need to stop drinking before bed, either that or see a doctor.

Any newbie here who reads these notes, pay no attention to them as he's completely off his head. Taping is a perfectly valid and common practice used by many Cpap patients.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Julie wrote:Avi, both your notes are incredible stupid nonsense and you really need to stop drinking before bed, either that or see a doctor.

Any newbie here who reads these notes, pay no attention to them as he's completely off his head. Taping is a perfectly valid and common practice used by many Cpap patients.
someone should tape up avi's fingers.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Omne

Post by Omne » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:30 pm

avi123 wrote:There should be someone who holds a patent to this which is valid to day, but it takes time to find out who.
You can't re-patent something. Once it's expired that's it and this expired in 1937. Obvious derivative inventions are not able to be patented either.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:53 am

Julie wrote:Any newbie here who reads these notes, pay no attention to them as he's completely off his head. Taping is a perfectly valid and common practice used by many Cpap patients.
Yes taping is a common practice, but I think Avi's post has some merit. In my experience, results are better if the mouth is not completely taped closed, but allowed to vent excess pressure that might build up. Some do this by putting a small hole or slit in the tape, others use a single strip of tape vertically which allows venting on either side. I'm just sayin'