ASV question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bons

ASV question

Post by Bons » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm getting ready for my first night with the 60 series ASV. The settings are WAY different from my previous ones on the old legacy ASV. Both the tech who did the titration and the DME guy are shaking their heads.

MinEpap is 5 and minPS is 0 breath rate is auto. But then the doc has biflex set at 3 which makes no sense at all to me with an Epap that low. My legacy had the rise rate on instead of the biflex because I had issues breathing when the Ipap went up while I was still exhaling (I'm a slow breather). Until now my settings were minEpap of 10 and minPS of 4 so tonight will feel very odd. MaxPS is 20 which has me concerned that it will chase centrals and cause new problems.

Does that biflex of 3 make any sense? Does an ASV make any sense? Should I ask to have the maxPS tightened? The DME suggested asking about a bipap with ST instead. This is a three month rent before I have to purchase and he said I can return it up to that point with no problem (even encouraged me to question the appropriateness of the ASV). Which also means I can't tweak the settings until it's mine.

bwexler

Re: ASV question

Post by bwexler » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:47 pm

If the mask is on your face and the knob is within arms reach you can tweak your settings. I don't care what anyone tells you.
I don't use flex so I can't advise you on that.
I am 2.5 years into using my 60 series ASV and have made most of the the adjustments myself with advice from this forum.

I had a visit with a local sleep doc recently. I handed him a stack of reports including oximetry and we never even unzipped the case of my ASV machine. We had a nice chat. He said I was doing fine and should see him in a year.

I think my min EPAP is 6.5 and max IPAP is 18. I don't remember the PS setting, but I have to check occasionally to verify the machine is on.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 am

I have been on ASV for a year and a half. My machine was set to Bi-flex 2, and I found myself being forced to inhale too soon by the machine also. I fiddled with all the comfort settings and finally settled on Rise Time 2. It felt most natural to me. Since you used Rise Time before, it would be a good place to start. The Bi-flex setting you have doesn't make much sense to me.

Bons

Post by Bons » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 am

I don't have sleepy head but checking the available data over the last three nights shows that my pressures are right where they were set for the old machine. So the much lower prescription settings still seem odd.

But my AHI has been below 1, which it never was on the old machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:45 am

Bons wrote:I don't have sleepy head but checking the available data over the last three nights shows that my pressures are right where they were set for the old machine. So the much lower prescription settings still seem odd.
well, get it.

there's nothing golden about prescriptions, they are wrong sometimes. if they were always right, this forum probably wouldn't exist.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.