first two months on cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RCW46

first two months on cpap

Post by RCW46 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I use my cpap machine with no problem. My doctor says my sleep data are fine. But I feel every bit as sleep-deprived as ever. In fact, my worst days follow my best nights. My brain is not recognizing that I am getting decent sleep. This is getting pretty tiresome to say the least. Has anyone else had this experience?

Sleepyv

Re: first two months on cpap

Post by Sleepyv » Sun May 15, 2016 2:21 pm

I am having the same problem. Been on 5 months. Was at sleep doc last week and he said I was doing great. I have had some good days but the bad far outnumber the good. They say it takes some people a while. I hope I get there soon. The nights my AHI is the lowest is the time I feel the worse next day.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun May 15, 2016 2:30 pm

RCW46 wrote:I use my cpap machine with no problem. My doctor says my sleep data are fine. But I feel every bit as sleep-deprived as ever. In fact, my worst days follow my best nights. My brain is not recognizing that I am getting decent sleep. This is getting pretty tiresome to say the least. Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes, but it's often due to a number of things.

You haven't told us which machine (or mask) you're using.
You haven't told us what settings you're using.
You haven't told us how much sleep you're getting.
You haven't told us if you sometimes sleep without using your machine.
You haven't told us if you have a data-capable machine and whether you're monitoring your therapy with software. (Your doctor may only be looking at the hours you're using your machine and doesn't have a clue about any "data".)

In short........you haven't told us ANYTHING about your therapy, but want us to figure out what your problem is or whether others have experienced the same thing. And, yes, most of the others who have similar experiences don't tell us any of that information either.......and usually post as anonymous guests.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RCW46

Post by RCW46 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Good enough. i use a ResMed AirFit 10. I sleep 7 to 8 hours per night. Use the machine unfailingly. AHIs are always under 2. My sleep hygiene is excellent - sleep same hours every night.
I am 69, and was diagnosed 3 months ago. Experienced first symptoms just before being diagnosed. Presumably, however, I have had sleep apnea for much longer, though i didn't experience any issues that would have told me so.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 pm

RCW46 wrote:Good enough. i use a ResMed AirFit 10. I sleep 7 to 8 hours per night. Use the machine unfailingly. AHIs are always under 2. My sleep hygiene is excellent - sleep same hours every night.
I am 69, and was diagnosed 3 months ago. Experienced first symptoms just before being diagnosed. Presumably, however, I have had sleep apnea for much longer, though i didn't experience any issues that would have told me so.
Are you using an APAP ( Autoset ) in a range of pressures?
If you are and you are using software to monitor your therapy, take note of how much your pressure fluctuates during the night. It's a possibility that the pressure changes are disturbing your sleep and bumping you out of your needed sleep stages and into lighter ones. That can leave you feeling unrested ( "sleep deprived" ).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2016 4:51 pm

My doctor has been making small adjustments in the range. I will double-check. thank you.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm

RCW46 wrote:Good enough. i use a ResMed AirFit 10. I sleep 7 to 8 hours per night. Use the machine unfailingly. AHIs are always under 2. My sleep hygiene is excellent - sleep same hours every night.
And how are the leaks? Does the data say they're under control?

And while your sleep hygiene is excellent, how would you rate the quality of the sleep itself? Does it take you a very long time to get to sleep? Do you wake up frequently during the night? Do you feel like you're doing a lot of tossing and turning at night?
It can take a while before people notice any improvement, particularly if their OSA symptoms were not severe at the time of their diagnosis. And the initial improvement can be very gradual.

What were the symptoms that led to the sleep study? And how long had you been experiencing them?

And do you wake up feeling rested after a full night's sleep or are you still tired and exhausted?

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue May 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Over two years here, and still wiped out. You're not alone OP; some people are just cpap resistant.

Mask: Flexifit 407

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Over two years here, and still wiped out. You're not alone OP; some people are just cpap resistant.
Some people have other issues in their lives that are not related to OSA and it shouldn't come as a big surprise that something unrelated to OSA can't be fixed with cpap no matter how much we blame everything on OSA.
OSA is just one cause of "bad sleep" and cpap/apap/whatever pap can't fix bad sleep that isn't related to sleep apnea....it just can't fix everything.

RCW46 wrote: But I feel every bit as sleep-deprived as ever.
Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what are they?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.