Can I skip some days?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Can I skip some days?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Air Jordan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:We get the "mental care" and enjoy our "hobby" by TRYING to help others.
They come here seeking help and information and we try our best to assist them.
I still consider myself a newcomer, and I do appreciate the advice received from the senior members. Funny that someone comes in new and starts slamming those who are trying to help him.
Like I said, some get rowdy and obnoxious.......

But, welcome to the forum to you, too.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bluetrout

Post by bluetrout » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Air Jordan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:We get the "mental care" and enjoy our "hobby" by TRYING to help others.
I still consider myself a newcomer, and I do appreciate the advice received from the senior members. Funny that someone comes in new and starts slamming those who are trying to help him.
I don't think I'm "slamming" anyone.(oops- I guess the "mental" and "hobby" was a bit much but i do so hate sanctimonious stuff) I am making the observation that, for me, some of the posting members offer actual advice based on the facts they present. Others not so much. They jump right into giving orders often based on nothing. In most of the cases it doesn't even apply since they don't know the full circumstances but that does not seem to hold them back. They never say something like "In my opinion". I question if their motive is really "helping others." I think there is a deeper need underlying the advice. IN MY OPINION. heh heh.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:24 pm

bluetrout wrote:
Air Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'm "slamming" anyone.(oops- I guess the "mental" and "hobby" was a bit much but i do so hate sanctimonious stuff) I am making the observation that, for me, some of the posting members offer actual advice based on the facts they present. Others not so much. They jump right into giving orders often based on nothing. In most of the cases it doesn't even apply since they don't know the full circumstances but that does not seem to hold them back. They never say something like "In my opinion". I question if their motive is really "helping others." I think there is a deeper need underlying the advice. IN MY OPINION. heh heh.
Like I said, it is what it is. Some people need the exposure and experience of offering advice. Some are more timid than others and some just offer........"whatever". I've seen forums that are much "harsher", but this one is actually pretty calm.
Give it time.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:48 pm

re: skipping days...

the late justice Scalia.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 pm

palerider wrote:re: skipping days...

the late justice Scalia.

Then I guess you read and agree with everything you see on TV or read in the newspapers. They "claim" he was not using his machine. Who really knows He had several other major health issues that could just as easily killed him even if he was using his machine.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:25 pm

bluetrout wrote:
Air Jordan wrote:

...(oops- I guess the "mental" and "hobby" was a bit much but i do so hate sanctimonious stuff) I am making the observation that, for me, some of the posting members offer actual advice based on the facts they present. Others not so much. They jump right into giving orders often based on nothing. In most of the cases it doesn't even apply since they don't know the full circumstances but that does not seem to hold them back. They never say something like "In my opinion". I question if their motive is really "helping others." I think there is a deeper need underlying the advice. IN MY OPINION. heh heh.
Bingo!

I do agree with Den though... there are a few people here who are knowledgeable and extremely helpful. You have probably already figured out who those people are. Bottom line... use your instincts and take what you consider to be information from knowledgeable posters, and leave the rest. IMO
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

klv329

Post by klv329 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Antonin flicked too many cigarette butts at Yosemite, and Smokey the Bear caught up with him in TX and removed the mask attached to his data capable cpap while he was in deep REM sleep, and then used a pillow resulting in a very, very long obstructive apnea.

The OP will be just fine as long as no littering occurs, but we all know what will happen.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:21 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:. . . hoping their fantasies will be fulfilled.
I don't think it's that kind of party.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Quickstrike

Post by Quickstrike » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 pm

I've skipped some days when I was congested and felt terrible after. I need to find a FFM that works for me. I should probably use my machine when I nap as well.

ButtermilkBuoy

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Quickstrike wrote:I've skipped some days when I was congested and felt terrible after.
+1

One of the good benefits of CPAP for me has been how well I now do with colds - fewer colds, much less severe symptoms and much shorter duration.

Since day one, I would never skip a night or a nap - vacation or work.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Quickstrike wrote:I've skipped some days when I was congested and felt terrible after. I need to find a FFM that works for me. I should probably use my machine when I nap as well.
Yes, absolutely! "PAP when you NAP".

Den

User since 05/14/05

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm

From my own perspective I would never consider sleeping with out my machine. But this is my personal experience with my particular case of sleep apnea. Your mileage may very. If you've done your home work and have copies of your sleep study you might have an idea of what your condition looked like with out treatment. That could give you an idea of what you would be looking at as far as risk if you skipped nights.

It's all variable. I get to see the whole range because Apnea runs in my family.

My sister she has very mild apnea 5 or so or less and only when on her back. She's decided not to treat mainly because of not being able to deal with the machine and if she's on her side she's ok.
My Mother's apnea runs about 10 to 15 events per hour. She should be on her machine but even with my pestering an encouragement she usually doesn't use hers. She tells me about the effects and how she doesn't feel like she's sleeping well but still doesn't use her machine. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make'm drink.
My father's apnea runs about 20 to 30 he almost always uses his machine but I do hear stories sometimes when he's stubborn and forgets to use it.

My apnea on the other hand according to my sleep study was in the upper 70's and when I entered REM my Oxygen saturation levels dropped to the low 50's.

I get extreme reminders that I need my machine now and then even if I only nod off wile sitting up at my computer desk, I still wake up with a start with my heart thumping in my chest because I can't breath. Usually just 20 min or less and I have pain all over and a bad headache. I feel a tension through out my whole body like I would if I'd been holding my breath for a very long time. sometimes tingling in my outer extremities.

Every one's different. Only you can decide for your self what is safe or not for you. Though I would advise you make that decision based on as much information as you can get and with the advice of your sleep doctor.

If your case is mild like my sis you may be able to get away with sleeping on your side, get an old shirt and sew some tennis balls into the back. If like my mom though not good, you could just suffer with it for the trip. If your like my father you really should make sure your using your cpap no mater what. If your like me you'd be nuts to go a week with out your machine you would be risking your life and if your driving you would be risking more then your own life.

I think some of the comments that have been made are coming from people who have all kinds of experience with this condition. From seeing loved ones pass away or suffering with it on their own. I always take everything I read here with a grain of salt and try to take the good and leave the bad. I like to think that every one means well even if they don't sound very nice when they respond.

I would say for the amount of hassle that's involved it's really not worth it to not use it. Just make sure you have power and use your machine. Weight shouldn't be a factor if your trailer camping and you can always setup something with power and a battery. It's not like your trying to back pack in the back country were every oz counts.

Hope this post wasn't too long winded.

I wish you the best no mater what you decide. Good luck and I hope your trip goes well.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Nice post, Gryphon. Well said.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bluetrout

Post by bluetrout » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:56 am

jnk... wrote:Nice post, Gryphon. Well said.
ditto to that. Thanks

IDontSnoreISwear

Post by IDontSnoreISwear » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 am

You're moving from California to Colorado?

First of all, don't skip nights with the CPAP. Buy a generator so that you can power the thing through the night with your normal humidifier (you will need it).

Also, check out Google Earth or Wikipedia to find out how much of an elevation change you're going to be dealing with. This is not trivial! My husband had to have a pressure adjustment to be able to breathe when we moved from sea level to 6000 feet. (I didn't have CPAP yet so was still sick with apnea and felt SO MUCH WORSE it was ridiculous.)

The effort and expense will be worth it. Just remember: oxygen is essential to the enjoyment of your trip!