Over what period of time does it take the body to fully...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
California1849

Over what period of time does it take the body to fully...

Post by California1849 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello,

I've recently started CPAP therapy, and have noticed improvement in my sleep.

Curious though, over what period of time does it take the body to fully adapt to healthy sleeping? A month? 3 months? a year?

If the body has spent years adapting to poor sleep conditions, it seems like it might take quite some time to fully recover physically and psychologically. (if it's even possible to FULLY recover)

What is your experience?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Over what period of time does it take the body to fully...

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:23 pm

It varies by individual. You will get answers all over the map that will only confuse.

How well are you sleeping? Do you feel energetic next day? Have you optimized your therapy using Sleepyhead?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Sleep wise it took me one night to start sleeping.
Health wise it took about 3-4 months before I was as recovered as I could get (not falling a asleep watching tv, better memory, change in attitudes, much more energy)

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

araris

Post by araris » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:07 pm

It took me well over a year. With that said, I had to adjust my machine to fit my own needs. Can't use auto adjusting, can't use humidifier, can't use any setting that lowers pressure and then brings it up. I have to have straight cpap.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:53 pm

But of course remember that you won't ever be 'cured' as such unless you're one of the very few who e.g. loses a lot of weight (not 30 lbs), or experiences some other rare change allowing them to get off Cpap. And of course we're all getting older, so expecting, e.g. to feel as we did 20 yrs ago may not be realistic.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:37 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Sleep wise it took me one night to start sleeping.
Health wise it took about 3-4 months before I was as recovered as I could get (not falling a asleep watching tv, better memory, change in attitudes, much more energy)
Just curious............Do you need naps?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Pesser wrote:
Never. And never took them either by choice. I always feel horrible if I do nap. Like I can't wake up fully.

Plus right now everything for me is kind of screwed up. I am having issues with my asthma and the arthritis in my hips is challenging my sleep. Plus I have the dredges of all the caregiving screwing up my head, now normally I would go for long walks but I can't breathe on a lot of the days. I am waiting to go to the respiratory clinic next month.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Pesser wrote:
Never. And never took them either by choice. I always feel horrible if I do nap. Like I can't wake up fully.

Plus right now everything for me is kind of screwed up. I am having issues with my asthma and the arthritis in my hips is challenging my sleep. Plus I have the dredges of all the caregiving screwing up my head, now normally I would go for long walks but I can't breathe on a lot of the days. I am waiting to go to the respiratory clinic next month.
I have friends with exactly the problems you describe. You are a caregiver? I was for 26 years. This hard stuff! God bless you!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Naps just make me feel like feces, unless I take one on the bed, hooked up. (Nap! Not crap)
About how long it took, some things right away, others sneaked up on me--over several months.
It was gradual, but I now feel so much better than I ever expected.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Naps just make me feel like feces,
warm and squisy, or hard and crusty?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:14 am

Four months in, progressively feeling better. A large chunk of that time was adjusting settings to optimize treatment. Finally, over the last two weeks I have hit on settings that give me an AHI reliably below 2.0. Not nearly as fatigued as I used to be. Still do naps occasionally, strapped into the machine of course.

I was diagnosed as severe, back in October. Pretty sure I have had the condition for decades, and for 27 years worked shift work around the clock. Felt lousy, unmotivated, and probably more than a little depressed. Those feelings are going away, and I feel great about finally getting some stuff done that I was too fatigued to do for the last couple of years.

So, some immediate relief. But I believe after your body has been tortured for years, it takes some time to fully recover. I certainly don't want to go back to how I was feeling five months ago. They will have to pry my machine out of my cold, dead hands.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Clearly it is an individual thing.
How long did it take to get where you are? How many different problems does your body have? How many of the things you did to get where you are, are you still doing? Diet , exercise, alcohol, drugs, poor sleep hygiene, awkward schedule?

If your only fix is CPAP, it may never fix all of your problems.