Is Ambien dangerous if you have OSA?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonny515

Is Ambien dangerous if you have OSA?

Post by jonny515 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I have insomnia and have had it for years and years. Maybe it is secondary to sleep apnea. Who knows? Anyway, I am waiting for the sleep titration test. Anyway my doctor doesn't want to prescribe Ambien anymore. I think she thinks it will kill me. Is this true?
I couldn't find any evidence of this. I'm not sure if it was going to kill me, why it didn't years ago. A couple years I took one every night. Not dead yet.

Any ideas for my persnickety PA? No I like her and she is great for me otherwise, so that option is out.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Is Ambien dangerous if you have OSA?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 pm

jonny515 wrote:I have insomnia and have had it for years and years. Maybe it is secondary to sleep apnea. Who knows? Anyway, I am waiting for the sleep titration test. Anyway my doctor doesn't want to prescribe Ambien anymore. I think she thinks it will kill me. Is this true?
I couldn't find any evidence of this. I'm not sure if it was going to kill me, why it didn't years ago. A couple years I took one every night. Not dead yet.

Any ideas for my persnickety PA? No I like her and she is great for me otherwise, so that option is out.
I'm pretty certain you must have misheard that... Z--meds (Ambien, Lunesta, etc.) are much safer than prescribing benzos (benzodiazepines like lorazapam, xanax etc), about the only other alternative BTW. Maybe she got confused, it's been known to happen If you've got a safe track record of using Ambien in the past, then that's definitely nonsense. I'm not clear: is it your PA or your sleep doctor who's telling you this? see unlined text above. EDIT: is this Ambien request for a monthly Rx or for a sleep test.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:45 pm

My previous Dr. prescribed Ambien for years, but I've seen two MDs since we moved to Colorado and neither one will even consider it. I'm thinking there must be some new guidelines for prescribing Ambien. They seem to be really worried about people over 65 falling and hurting themselves. CYA, no doubt.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Robespierre wrote:My previous Dr. prescribed Ambien for years, but I've seen two MDs since we moved to Colorado and neither one will even consider it. I'm thinking there must be some new guidelines for prescribing Ambien. They seem to be really worried about people over 65 falling and hurting themselves. CYA, no doubt.
Maybe I'm misundertanding? Do you want a monthly Rx or just for your titration? There's no new guidelines that I've heard of but maybe somebody else on CPAPtalk has heard something about it. Lots of people find it hard to cope with a sleep study/titration and ambien is the drug of choice. I've had two sleep tests in the last few years and used ambien during both of them... otherwise no sleep for me. (maybe some sleep docs like you to go in without any support so they can zing you in for multiple tests while raking in some extra money; shhhh, I didn't tell you that). Just to clarify: From my experience I don't think it's a good idea to use ANY sleep aid every night over the long term - it's much better to clean out your system and let sleep occur naturally. It's not that hard to do with the proper guidance. It's also nevera good idea to 'cold turkey' any sleep med/aid with the possible exception of melatonin. To taper off these meds, ask you doctor or ask that question here.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Are you on a CPAP? All sleep aids will make your OSA worse if it is untreated, but none will effect the quality of treatment.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:10 pm

My sleep doctor is a board certified neurologist that has no trouble prescribing 10 mg. of Zolpidem (generic Ambien) for me for nightly use. I mostly only use one half of a 10mg. When I take the Zolpidem, there's no question that I'll fall sound asleep within 30-45 minutes, that makes it very easy for me to tolerate my APAP therapy. I haven't noticed any "ill effects" from it's use since April/2015. Some doctors are just tw@ts. (in my opinion)

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Robespierre wrote:My previous Dr. prescribed Ambien for years, but I've seen two MDs since we moved to Colorado and neither one will even consider it. I'm thinking there must be some new guidelines for prescribing Ambien. They seem to be really worried about people over 65 falling and hurting themselves. CYA, no doubt.
Yes, that's it. My GP was adamant about not taking Ambien or the generic on a nightly basis. She did prescribe something else in its place for short term use. Sleep doctor didn't seem to think it was a problem. Who knows? They all have different takes I suppose.

Edited to add: Ambien can be addictive with or without sleep apnea. Another reason why some doctors don't like to prescribe it.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Yes, that's it. My GP was adamant about not taking Ambien or the generic on a nightly basis. She did prescribe something else in its place for short term use. Sleep doctor didn't seem to think it was a problem. Who knows? They all have different takes I suppose.

Edited to add: Ambien can be addictive with or without sleep apnea. Another reason why some doctors don't like to prescribe it.
I have to laugh when doctors won't prescribe ambien due it allegedly being addictive but yet have no problems prescribing antidepressants that can be very hard get off if you have been on them for a certain length of time.

My sleep doctors have never had a problem with my taking ambien which unfortunately has been totally ineffective for getting back to sleep when I have taken it which has been rare. I even tried ambien sublingual (specifically approved for that) which gave me zero sleep the first time I tried it and one hour sleep the 2nd time. So no danger of addiction for me.

When I had my sleep studies, they had no problem with my taking it without the machine.

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:04 pm

Okay some clarifications: I have had my sleep study but not the titration yet (scheduled for Jan 3). This is my regular PA I am talking about. I AM, in fact, over 65, but very active (hike, camp, travel once a month, etc.). I want the Ambien because I'm not sleeping so well. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Ambien really helps on the falling asleep aspect. I did take it for part one of the sleep study and the clinic had no problem with it. They said it would not effect it and they'd rather I took it and sleep. I want to take it for the titration but might be impossible if she doesn't prescribe it!! It's just a refill though (I don't get one monthly).

She was prescribing though reluctantly but now that I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea she seems to think I will keel over if she continues it, which is weird, I think, given I have taken it off and on for many years (20+ maybe??).

Yes, there WAS a recent change with Ambien which is the only drug known to have a male and female version (i believe the female version is half strength. This story was on NPR and CNN news service radio.) So maybe also stronger warnings.

I have been diagnosed with moderate OSA, 26 AHI (worse on back), and 86% as lowest oxygen saturation. I don't know if insomnia is caused by the OSA or not, as I have had insomnia since I was a kid. I am not on CPAP yet, because I have not done the titration yet.

I don't think I misheard her but I may have possibly exaggerated. Realistically she can't be esp concerned about me abusing it when I have no history of it. Before I was diagnosed she thought I had central sleep apnea and that depressants would make them more dangerous. But I don't have central sleep apnea anyway. I don't know why it would all of a sudden be so dangerous.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:20 am

If you have insomnia issues, definitely take the Ambien for your titration, even if the doctor will only prescribe one. I was prescribed 3 Ambien. I used one to try, and one for the titration. The ambien will only make the titration results more accurate.

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:26 am

Oh boy I hope she prescribes more than 1 of them!! I'm hoping she refused so she could talk to me, it's something she might do. (Very hands on-- well, I'll find out soon. My appt. is in an hour.)

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:07 pm

I used zolpidem nightly for years. It wasn't much of a problem weaning off of it. I just missed, and still miss, the sleep. I've been given nortriptyline and trazodone, both antidepressants, but neither work worth a damn. And my AHI is higher than when on the zolpidem. Sucks

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:51 pm

It was a problem with the pharmacy, she was fine with it (well not so fine, she's wary of it, wants me to not take too often).

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:24 am

Ambien has been know to cause some people to do strange things such as sleep walk etc... It is the prescribed heavily by sleep doctors without any problems. Just try it and see. Xanax is excellent and almost free if your doctor will prescribe that. Otherwise, switch doctors to someone more understanding. Normal doses won't cause problem for most people.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 am

She was fine (well not ENTIRELY fine-- she is let's say concerned about the drug) with it. She refilled my prescription and gave me refills. Actually she was a little angry, she said she would never not refill a prescription without talking to the patient first. I didn't stand around to wait while the pharmacy tracked the problem because what good would it do? She told me it has happened before with controlled substances that had no more refills.

She also is supportive of the notion that I may need more Ambien while getting used to CPAP.

I have never had signs that I engaged in making cat food sandwiches or anything else while on Ambien.