Threw out hose, finally

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KarenK

Threw out hose, finally

Post by KarenK » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:02 pm

It is the first one I ever got, a Climateline from ResMed. I got it over 2 years ago, and just recently it kept disconnecting if I moved just a bit too far. I got out a new one to see if there was a difference and with the new one, the mask part held much tighter. So, it gave me nearly 2.5 years of use!!

poppi2

Re: Threw out hose, finally

Post by poppi2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 pm

How often did you wash it?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I replaced a hose awhile back because the black spots inside would NOT wash out.
Yuck!

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 pm

KarenK wrote:It is the first one I ever got, a Climateline from ResMed. I got it over 2 years ago, and just recently it kept disconnecting if I moved just a bit too far. I got out a new one to see if there was a difference and with the new one, the mask part held much tighter. So, it gave me nearly 2.5 years of use!!
Hello KarenK,
My hose did the same thing as yours, kept slipping off at the mask connection. Quick fix one night...wife had some Scotch double sided tape I found. Put several wraps around the mask coupling and slid on the hose. Once it was on, there was no slipping off anymore. Saved me from ordering another hose. (I did get one later for a backup just in case). But try this, it worked like a charm...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:11 pm

I washed a hose ONE time and realized that there was NO way I was EVER going to get every drop of moisture out of it after washing. Meanwhile, I don't get rainout, so there's no moisture in my hose from everyday use. I never washed a hose again and I have been using the same hose for a very long time. No mold inside and I'm never sick.

I might feel differently if I had rainout issues, but I don't, and it seems to me that washing a hose has a higher chance of introducing bugs than just leaving it alone.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 pm

In the beginning I washed it a lot, and have not washed it for maybe over a year!

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Never washed my hoses. I've had three in over a dozen years and one of them was never really used, so about 6-7 years each and they look as good as new. I live in Colorado now, which is dry and clean, but the other half was spent in Michigan, which is rather humid and things (like electronics) tend to deteriorate quicker.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Janknitz wrote:I washed a hose ONE time and realized that there was NO way I was EVER going to get every drop of moisture out of it after washing. Meanwhile, I don't get rain out, so there's no moisture in my hose from everyday use. I never washed a hose again and I have been using the same hose for a very long time. No mold inside and I'm never sick.

I might feel differently if I had rainout issues, but I don't, and it seems to me that washing a hose has a higher chance of introducing bugs than just leaving it alone.
I agree with you that if your hose is always dried, then your chance of growing bugs in it is small. However, I would never recommend to newbies to do this. Hoses are cheap. Respiratory infections are not. If you choose not to do basic cleanliness, it's a choice, not a recommendation. The 2 studies I read showed that the majority of respiratory infections from cpap appear to come from not cleaning the hose/mask regularly (weekly). All I read were the abstracts - perhaps the studies were funky. Perhaps, just unplugging the hose and letting it dry thoroughly between uses is sufficient. Don't know.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)