Help ! Do I have very bad sleep apnea ? 49% Sp02

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rachelp

Re: Help ! Do I have very bad sleep apnea ? 49% Sp02

Post by rachelp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 am

Julie wrote:HC can answer your oximeter questions, but as to the air pressure, etc... your awareness of air being blown in at all will fade quickly, both for each night (often within a few minutes) and long term to the point where many wake up and think the machine's broken! There's nothing uncomfortable about it, just a new sensation, but even that may be mild depending on your scripted pressure and a machine feature called Ramp can be used (tho' most of us don't bother beyond the first week) lets you set a time (10-40 mins) during which your machine accelerates the pressure from so low that you may feel starved for air (you don't have to set it that low tho') to the prescribed level... though during that time you won't be fully treated of course, but may be a little more comfortable. I personally quit that within a few days.

And the mask is very important - air will enter your nose and/or mouth depending on your normal breathing pattern (don't forget - you're not expected to adjust your breathing to the machine, but the other way around) and whether you normally breathe through your nose alone or mouth breathe (even if only on exhalation) due to habit, back sleeping - a big no-no as it provokes more apneas - that allows your mouth to fall open, or nasal blockage of some kind. If you can't adjust to a nasal mask alone, e.g. if air escapes from your mouth when being delivered by Cpap, you're losing therapy, so a 'full face' mask is usually the answer as even if you mouth breathe when it's on, you won't lose it to the breeze. Full face masks are just those that extend a bit lower than nasal ones to cover your mouth - the only type of mask that covers a lot of the face is called a total mask, and few people actually use them. But if you only end up needing a nasal mask, the small amount of air going in will not affect your nose as such in any negative (uncomfortable) way.

I've been on apap a month now and I have to pull my nasal pillows off to hear the rushing air to see if it's on. Otherwise I don't even feel the air anymore! It's crazy!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:51 am

rachelp wrote:I've been on apap a month now and I have to pull my nasal pillows off to hear the rushing air to see if it's on. Otherwise I don't even feel the air anymore! It's crazy!

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:29 pm

On your oximetry report there is a block that is called Event Data.

If you look at that the 5th entry is Artifact (%).

An Artifact occurs when the device looses signal and tries to re-establish it. In that process there are often erratic values reported.

A good target is to keep Artifacts below 1%.

Your first report showed over 50% and this current one is over 23%. That is improvement but you still have a way to go.

The most common cause of signal loss is finger movement inside the device.

This gets difficult because it isn't "normal" to sleep with something clamped to your finger. Sometimes a different finger will be more comfortable. Other times you just have to program your mind to accept that it is important to get this data and you can put up with a little discomfort to get good data.

Note that Artifacts effect both O2 reported levels and Pulse rate reported levels.

I don't have a crystal ball but it looks like it "bugs" you to have this on your finger and you are constantly fiddling with it trying to get more comfortable. This brings the device on the verge of loosing the signal most of the time and thus the data is bouncing around all over the place.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:33 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:On your oximetry report there is a block that is called Event Data.

An Artifact occurs when the device looses signal and tries to re-establish it. In that process there are often erratic values reported.
no, this is incorrect!

an artifact, in the context of that report, is a drop in o2 saturation, or heart rate change, greater than whatever is programmed into the reporting software to flag.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks again everyone, I am loving this thread, such helpful people here.

Regarding the artifacts, does that still mean a lot of the report was bad ? As there are 2 different opinions above. Has anyone else got their pre-diagnosis screenshots to show so I can compare ?

My nose is often clear but I do suffer from some kind of sinus issues every so often where it blocks up due to dust or other things, or like everyone else when you get a cold. My nose is clear now but last month I suffered for 2 weeks with a blocked nose and felt I was going to choke just by drinking water as I couldn't breathe out of my nose while drinking, at my size of 450 pounds I need to breathe a lot.

I have so far whittled things down to 6 possible pre-owned CPAP machines. What I ideally want is an auto one that has connection to Sleepyhead or other software with full diagnostic info, maybe even an oximeter socket if possible. I have no idea if the below have such connections, they were just the 6 cheapest I could find that were automatic. Anyone got any advice on them ? Thanks.

REMstar Auto DS550 (no heated humidifier) = $359
REMstar Auto DS450 (no heated humidifier) = $275

DeVilbiss - Auto DV54D-HH (no heated humidifier) = $249
DeVilbiss - Auto DV54D-HH (with heated humidifier) = $325

Respironics DS500 AUTO (no heated humidifier) = $329
Respironics DS510 AUTO (no heated humidifier) = $349

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 pm

For Respironics machines....stick with model numbers 550 or 560 or higher.
Model numbers below 550 won't have the auto function you want.

For now avoid the Devilbiss...while they are great machines you have to purchase a special module an addition to the blower unit to be able to utilize any software. The data available on the LCD smart code thing...is too limited for what you are needing to do and by the time you buy the module you could get a nice Respironics machine...plus the Devilbiss doesn't do flow rate data (which might come in handy).

Avoid these models even though they are auto models

Code: Select all

Respironics DS500 AUTO (no heated humidifier) = $329
Respironics DS510 AUTO (no heated humidifier) = $349
They are of an older technology that requires special card readers and special data cards to use the software plus they don't flag centrals which for your situation is important that central flagging be available.

I would suggest targeting the Respironics..PR System One machines...they will be lest costly than a similar model in the ResMed line.
Either a model 550 or 560...with main difference being the optional heated hose that was added to the 560 models. Couple of other minor differences but the main difference was the 550 won't have a heated hose option and the 560 (the newest model) will have a heated hose option.
Now while you may not think that you want or need a heated hose at this time or even the humidifier...that heated hose can come in handy if you experience rain out or just want more control over humidity.

Forum member grayghost4 usually has a couple of slightly used machines available. You might check with him as to what he has now. Often his prices for machine and humidifier are about what just the machine alone will cost and usually include a hose.

Hoses and masks...we can figure out a way to get you some hoses and masks depending on what you want.
Masks are always separate and probably the hardest thing about this whole therapy.
I have a full face F & P Simplus in a size large you can have for cost of postage.
I would suggest that you get both a full face mask and some sort of nasal interface mask.
I don't think I have any spare nasal interface masks or you could have one. The Simplus I have is used but it was used only briefly to try on for fit and the person didn't like it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks pugsy.

One problem I have added is cost, I might have to cut back on some things depending on cost. But your choice is a Respironics PR System One 560 ? If I can't find that particular model (or the 550) cheap enough, what other models do the exact same thing both auto and diagnostic wise ? Does the 550 and 560 come with a socket for a oximeter or is that asking too much ?

Is REMstar the exact same models as Respironics ? And is Respironics made by Philips ? So for instance, is a Auto REMstar DS550 the same as a Auto Respironics DS550 ?

What do you think to this model (made by ComfortCPAP) : http://www.secondwindcpap.com/ComfortCP ... -CPAP.html

Finally, do I presume the Auto side of things will mean I don't need a Titration, I just set it and let it do its thing ? If this is the case why do auto ones also need prescriptions ?

Thanks for the info on the masks and grayghost4, may well come in useful.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm

palerider wrote:
HoseCrusher wrote:On your oximetry report there is a block that is called Event Data.

no, this is incorrect!

an artifact, in the context of that report, is a drop in o2 saturation, or heart rate change, greater than whatever is programmed into the reporting software to flag.

Losing the signal and then trying to re-establish it would cause values outside the software parameters, what do you think other causes might be?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm

I know nothing about the people who make the ComfortCPAP or the machine itself.
Looks like it has been discontinued..also looks like it doesn't flag centrals or some of the other data that could be useful
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/evo-co ... chine.html
I would avoid it and stick with the 2 main players...Respironics or Resmed
BlizzardUK wrote: Does the 550 and 560 come with a socket for a oximeter or is that asking too much ?
I think they do but the cost for the oximeter that works with those machines is extremely pricey. You can't just plug in any old oximeter and have it work. Your best bet for your money is your current oximeter.

Auto adjusting machines...we still have to help the auto out with some tweaking but in general auto adjusting (apap) is nothing more than cpap that will auto adjust. You can do a self titration with plain cpap and get the job done but you can do it faster and better with auto adjusting (apap).
They require RX because all cpap/apap/bilevel machines require RX...it's just a fact of life.

I would suggest sticking with Respironics machines...they gather all the data that you might need.
At a minimum the 450 model which is fixed cpap but here's the deal, you can often find a 550 for about the same amount of money if you shop smart.

So here would be my preferences
1....PR S1 model 560
2nd choice PR S1 model 550
3rd choice either a model 460 or 4th choice 450 PR S1

If you could find a cheap enough ResMed S9 AutoSet..that would be great but the prices are usually higher for the ResMed machines but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are "better"...just different and start with a higher initial price point so they cost more on a used level.

I don't have time to go into all the pros and cons of each brand so just trust me on this one....Stick with the 2 main players in the cpap market and that's Respironics and ResMed. For what you are wanting to do and the data that they collect and make available to you in an easy to use (and free) way...those are what I would advise you to look at.
When you start going towards the off brands that are cheaper ..... you know the old saying "you get what you pay for"...and while they probably do a good job blowing air...you are needing and wanting to use the machine for more than just blowing air at this point. Now if you had already had a sleep study and a titration study and knew that you only needed so and so pressure..that's one thing but you are wanting to self diagnose and self treat so it would just be better to have the most comprehensive tools at your disposal so you can better/more informed job.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Tell us why you haven't seen a doctor yet???

I get that it can take a long time to get in to the proper clinic in the UK, but this is pretty serious.

Even if you set yourself up for CPAP, you need to be seen.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks Pugsy. Great advice.
Janknitz wrote:Tell us why you haven't seen a doctor yet???

I get that it can take a long time to get in to the proper clinic in the UK, but this is pretty serious.

Even if you set yourself up for CPAP, you need to be seen.
Hi. I did mention in previous posts why, but I will soon see a doctor, but I got the oximeter to try and get a week or so worth of data first to try and skip ahead of the finger test that they do first over here. Also if I get my CPAP soon then I might even cut the long wait of the clinic study if my CPAP gives enough info and data reports. Things take a long time in the UK because all healthcare is "free", it takes weeks just to see a doctor, let alone follow up treatment such as a study which takes around 6 months usually. Here I believe it goes.......GP =====> Oximeter Home Study =========> Overnight sleep study at clinic ==========> Wait for CPAP. So not only do I hope to skip the oximeter study wait, as I will have results ready, but also many doctors tell fat people to just lose weight without even doing tests due to cost on the NHS. So I am not saying I am not going to see a doctor, I just want to be set up with a auto machine asap if possible. I put off going to a doctor before now as I have had apnea before a few years ago and lost enough weight to cure it myself, which I had hoped to do again, but this time losing weight is not as easy.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Pugsy has given you the best advice possible. She knows what she's talking about. Please pay careful attention to her recommendations as there are very good reasons for each one.

Here in the U.S., we might advise people to get something off craigslist to hold them over. In fact, I did this myself at the beginning of the year. But when I checked the UK craigslist for London and Liverpool, I was surprised to see NO cpap machines listed by private parties. I don't know if it's a legal issue or what, but craigslist doesn't seem to be an option in the UK.

Buying from a long-term poster on this forum might be an option. However, I don't know about customs, international shipping and all that stuff. You can email secondwindcpap.com and see if they can ship to the UK but they may not be able/willing to do anything without a prescription.

I presume you realize how serious this is. People have strokes, heart attacks and many other serious problems because of untreated sleep apnea. Everyone who can, should have a sleep study because there can sometimes be complications to obstructive sleep apnea, like central apnea, UARS, RLS, etc. If you had said that you had an appointment with a sleep doctor and/or were waiting for a sleep lab date - that would be more encouraging. Some people don't have the option of getting a sleep study and we'll do what we can to help them. But if you do have the option - use it! The more information you can get on your personal sleep issues, the better. Get the process started - sleep labs often have cancellations and open slots that they need to fill. I got in a couple of months earlier by being available on short notice.

Don't worry about the pulse oximeter as it's not an important part of your therapy - it's more a diagnostic tool. Most who buy them use them for a short time and then toss them in a drawer because it's too much trouble or too uncomfortable. They do not connect to the cpap machine.

All that matters is how you feel when you wake up in the morning and if you are getting good sleep. The machines that have been recommended to you will record every breath you take and will have the information you need to monitor your therapy.

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Janknitz wrote:Tell us why you haven't seen a doctor yet???
BlizzardUK wrote:Things take a long time in the UK because all healthcare is "free", it takes weeks just to see a doctor,
Socialized medicine. Bernie Sanders. USA headed down the same junkhole.
T.C.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I am pretty sure that customs in the UK won't be a problem with the machine.
I think there is some special wording that is included to help bypass some/most of the import fees but I can't remember what it is.
At least there's no major road block like there is is Spain or Brazil or Japan. Those countries are nightmares to deal with.

Masks won't be a problem at all...nothing special needed with masks.
Oh...if anyone has a nasal interface mask they want to donate...and I end up sending the F & P Simplus...if someone wants to ship me the nasal mask I can include it with the Simplus. Will save a little bit because it will cost the same to ship one mask in the box or 2 or 3 masks in the box.

rachelp

Post by rachelp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 pm

I've ordered twice from secondwindcpap.com and both time had great transactions. I bought two DeVilbiss from them (one for me and one for my husband) and I LOVE my machine. It's insanely quiet, easy to use, data capable, and the price is good if you are paying out of pocket.

Waiting that long to get into the doctor must be really frustrating.