New To A Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cl3451

New To A Machine

Post by cl3451 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:40 am

I am new to this whole sleep apnea thing. I did my fist sleep study a few weeks ago and the tech woke me after 1-1/2 hours of sleep. He came in to set me up on a machine, I tried the nose mask then the nasal pillows. I am a mouth breather and do not do well with things on my face so needless to say things didn't work out to well for me. I couldn't stand the machine!!! I followed up with my doctor and I am doing another study tonight with hopes I can fall asleep and make it through the whole thing. My apnea was diagnosed as SEVERE, I am going to keep trying to do whatever I have to do just wondering if anyone here has any good advise for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: New To A Machine

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am

First, make sure you get the right machine.
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/
(Resmed Airsense 10 is newer than S9, but the Elite and Autoset are still the good models;
Just avoid the plain "cpap", as it is about the same as the S9 Escapes)
Then, find out what the return/exchange policy is.
You may need to try several masks to get the right fit and comfort--you need the right mask ASAP,

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:01 am

Oh, for the titration, ask your doctor for something to help you sleep during this study.
That's the real first thing!

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:10 am

Welcome to the machine

There aren't many whose first reaction is much better than yours. However, the attitude doesn't have to be "tough it out, it's necessary!" You can adapt to using a mask/machine quite easily if you don't feel intimidated by it, and as long as you don't view it as an imminent evil. Remember that during the titration study (your next), you don't need to immediately be a "pro" with it; the technician should make you as comfortable as possible, and if they don't - require it. You're there to give it your best shot: wear the mask, try to breathe through it the best you can; communicate any fears, needs, perceptions, etc., to the technician and ask them to address those. Don't feel compelled to do anymore than you are comfortable with; if you can't fall asleep, that's' fine. Sleep lab personnel is used to patients feeling like you do; they'll work with you - or you need to find another center that will. Ultimately, your goal is to get a good machine and then you can adjust your therapy yourself (with the help of this forum). My studies were all a disaster (including one after being on CPAP for years) - I couldn't sleep a minute and was uncomfortable the whole time. But I got the machine and then got it to work myself. I don't know how it will all work out for you, but there is nothing to fear; you have nothing to lose, but a lot to gain - remember that.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

cl3451

Post by cl3451 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks for taking the time it appears this is a much more normal thing than I ever imagined. One thing is for sure I will figure it out and get everything on track.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:35 am

CPAP can take time to get used to and with a sleep study you get zero time. So think about it, you are having trouble getting enough air already and then you go to the study and they slap a mask on your face that blows air up your nose. This is not normal and no doubt that you will react to it. What I do is keep telling myself that this is different, it is not really a feeling of not getting enough air. Relax and breathe, this will help and it is not a problem. I focus on the air going freely in and out, almost to prove to myself that this feeling is not a lack of air.

For my study specifically, I knew it would help, I knew that someone was monitoring me 100% of the time and that no matter if I stopped breathing, help would be close by. They needed to see what was happening for them to help me and I just needed to let it happen.

Best of luck
Sleeping MUCH better now

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:05 pm

I had a lot of trouble at first feeling like I was "suffocating". The more I looked at it, it wasn't that I wasn't getting enough air, it was that I didn't feel like I could exhale against the pressure. For me, this was all mental and I just had to keep telling myself it was okay and I just got used to it. Now I don't think about it anymore.

Having the right mask makes a difference. I had to fight to try several before I settled on the N10 Nasal mask. I really wanted to find a nasal pillow that worked as it was the least "stuff on the face", but alas. For some people, it's having a mask liner, like from padacheek. Just keep trying, you'll get there.

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 am

I just spent night 4 with my machine. A F&P Icon+ Auto with a F&P FFM. I couldn't sleep. I've been putting it on for times during the day to adjust and generally, if I'm reading or watching tv it gets to a point where I breathe so naturally I don't even feel the air. My sleep study was a home study showing 30 night one and mid to upper 20's nights 2 and 3 AHI. My main question is, I've only been at this a few days. During the day, aside from feeling tired, my chest feels heavy. Is this from my chest/lungs working a little harder? Is it normal? As for falling asleep, I know it's mental. The mask fits as comfortable as a foreign object can and like i said, after being on it about 5 min I don't even notice the air anymore. Any tips/thoughts on falling asleep with it? Right now I don't care if it's an hour or even 15 min. I just want to fall asleep with it. I tried Melatonin to no avail. Thanks for any help

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

Tdub210 wrote:I just spent night 4 with my machine. A F&P Icon+ Auto with a F&P FFM. I couldn't sleep. I've been putting it on for times during the day to adjust and generally, if I'm reading or watching tv it gets to a point where I breathe so naturally I don't even feel the air. My sleep study was a home study showing 30 night one and mid to upper 20's nights 2 and 3 AHI. My main question is, I've only been at this a few days. During the day, aside from feeling tired, my chest feels heavy. Is this from my chest/lungs working a little harder? Is it normal? As for falling asleep, I know it's mental. The mask fits as comfortable as a foreign object can and like i said, after being on it about 5 min I don't even notice the air anymore. Any tips/thoughts on falling asleep with it? Right now I don't care if it's an hour or even 15 min. I just want to fall asleep with it. I tried Melatonin to no avail. Thanks for any help
I am deeply convinced that the worst factor for being unable to fall asleep easily is... wanting to fall asleep too much. In other words, putting pressure on oneself to fall asleep quickly, deeply, uneventfully. Try thinking, instead, that you don't have to fall asleep immediately, that it will happen when it will happen. That might do it.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:03 pm

McSleepy wrote:
Tdub210 wrote:I just spent night 4 with my machine. A F&P Icon+ Auto with a F&P FFM. I couldn't sleep. I've been putting it on for times during the day to adjust and generally, if I'm reading or watching tv it gets to a point where I breathe so naturally I don't even feel the air. My sleep study was a home study showing 30 night one and mid to upper 20's nights 2 and 3 AHI. My main question is, I've only been at this a few days. During the day, aside from feeling tired, my chest feels heavy. Is this from my chest/lungs working a little harder? Is it normal? As for falling asleep, I know it's mental. The mask fits as comfortable as a foreign object can and like i said, after being on it about 5 min I don't even notice the air anymore. Any tips/thoughts on falling asleep with it? Right now I don't care if it's an hour or even 15 min. I just want to fall asleep with it. I tried Melatonin to no avail. Thanks for any help
I am deeply convinced that the worst factor for being unable to fall asleep easily is... wanting to fall asleep too much. In other words, putting pressure on oneself to fall asleep quickly, deeply, uneventfully. Try thinking, instead, that you don't have to fall asleep immediately, that it will happen when it will happen. That might do it.

McSleepy
New to trying the quote thing so hopefully this works. You're right. I did realize and my wife did as well that I put a lot of pressure on myself to fall asleep. I was also trying to sleep on my back which is not my preferred position. So, I tried just taking a nap today, and my wife agreed to be there as well. It took awhile, probably 20 min, but I fell asleep for an hour. I woke up feeling alert. Still tired, but alert. I figure thats one step. I'm actually looking forward to tonight sleeping on my side and just relaxing about it. I've picked up a lot of tips from here that I tried for the nap that seemed to work well.

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

cl3451 wrote:I am new to this whole sleep apnea thing. I did my fist sleep study a few weeks ago and the tech woke me after 1-1/2 hours of sleep. He came in to set me up on a machine, I tried the nose mask then the nasal pillows. I am a mouth breather and do not do well with things on my face so needless to say things didn't work out to well for me. I couldn't stand the machine!!! I followed up with my doctor and I am doing another study tonight with hopes I can fall asleep and make it through the whole thing. My apnea was diagnosed as SEVERE, I am going to keep trying to do whatever I have to do just wondering if anyone here has any good advise for me.
One other thing I would say, as a fellow newbie: Keep coming here and go through the messages. I'm only 4 days in but I've got a lot of great advice plus, see things that I'm going through others have as well. It's encouraging to hear that certain things are normal and get suggestions for getting through them.

rachelp

Post by rachelp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:03 pm

I find wearing the mask awake was definitely the best way to get used to it. I'm glad it was suggested to me here because I would have never thought about it. I put it on and read or play games on my phone and then fall asleep. I also REALLY enjoy the aromatherapy by the intake filter. It really makes the experience almost soothing and enjoyable for me.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm

One more note, since attempting to sleep supine (on back) while preferred position is on the side (or maybe even, prone): not every mask can be comfortable when sleeping on your side. In fact, I can only sleep prone (face down) and I have found that only one mask, with significant modifications, will really be comfortable and allow no significant leaks (my Breeze). So, don't get discouraged if your current mask is getting in the way - there are always others. post your experiences here and you'll get all sorts of suggestions. Good luck!

McSleepy