Racing heart while using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NewToCPAP

Racing heart while using CPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Hey guys,

Let me preface this post by saying that I'll be getting into see someone about this issue ASAP (already have a doctors appointment booked)

The last few months have been an absolute train wreck for CPAP thearpy. Prior to this I was never a poster boy, but I could use my mask every night and get at least 5-8 hours of therapy. Right now, I am barely pushing an hour. My CPAP thearpy is non-existant. What's happening as of late is that any time I use my CPAP and I'm about to drift off to sleep, I experience some sort of disturbance. The last few times I have used it I experience a racing heart and this "jittery" type feeling as I drift off. I'll percervere and keep trying to fall asleep throughout all of this but usually after an hour I have had enough and I give up. The most confusing part is that once the mask is off, I do not experience anything I mentioned. You'd think it would be 10x worse without the mask? Without the mask I sleep throughout the night without issue (I suppose how I did before diagnosis)

I don't know what to do! I am so beyond exhausted and now a bit worried about the affects this all may be having on my health. I know I need a new mask, currently I use a chin strap and nasal mask. I can't stand using a chin strap any longer, I belive it's time to try a full face mask, however, years ago when I first started CPAP the full face masks were so big and uncomforatable. I am hoping things have evolved since then.

I'm wondering if I should crank up my minimum pressure? However I believe my CPAP is set to start at the last successful pressure (unsure of what they call this) I do not review my data as I find the programs to be extremely confusing. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated! I could really use some CPAP sleep.
Learning..

Julie

Re: Racing heart while using CPAP

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

You need to ask your MD for a thyroid test and either a referral to a cardiologist to test for tachycardia (racing heart) or quite possibly he/she can test for it themselves. Not everything's about Cpap or OSA (or even if it's related, needs to be checked out on its own).

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Does your machine have data? If so how about you post some charts to see what is happening when you wake up like that.

Maybe you need more pressure, maybe you are having large leaks that let the apneas happen.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Great idea to see your doctor. Good suggestions above too.

I would also check your blood sugar. Low blood sugar can cause one to be jumpy, nervous, etc. That feeling has woken me up more than once. You could borrow a blood meter to check or buy an inexpensive one.

I will also add that my dad has similar symptoms once. After full exams with his GP, cardiologist, neurologist, and then a psychiatrist, he was diagnosed with Conversion disorder. (He is a heart patient.)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20029533

Physical symptoms present due to a psychological cause. It's a little different from anxiety attacks. Of course, that is a possibility as well. The important thing is to rule out other causes. If it's conversion or anxiety, it's much easier to treat it, as your mind is assured you are okay.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:15 pm

FYI - Conversion disorder is very rare, so I wouldn't jump all over it in this case (or any other) anytime soon.

NewToCPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have had blood work done back in October, I know my thyroid was tested and things were clear then. My machine is data capable but as I mentioned I don't really bother with it as I find it very confusing to use the software. I am going to look at my pressure settings when I get home. Back in January I was checking my data (on the machine) and know my AHI was anywhere from 0.8 to 1.8, so not horrible. My pressure never exceeded 10. I believe my starting pressure is between 6-7. This is not the first time I have had this happen, but it's never continued on like it has. Prior to this, I may have experienced the racing heart and weird shaky feeling but then be able to fall asleep. As of lately, it seems to continue on too long and I'm unable to get into a deep sleep resulting in me taking the mask off.

Should I change my minimum pressure and any other settings? Maybe I should turn flex off as well? I'm desperate to get a good nights sleep tonight.

On the bright side I was able to get an appointment with a sleep therapist for Friday and my doctor next Tuesday.
Learning..

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Until Tuesday, lay off the sugar and go for protein, especially before bed (just in case Sunny's right ).

NewToCPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Yes, good suggestion. I do eat before bed and I know I am really bad for that. But I am having these episodes not even one hour after food. I am almost certain that my sugars are not crashing that quickly after food. If it were the middle of the night I could understand, but we're talking anywhere from 30-60 minutes after turning the lights off.
Learning..

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Do you ever check your heart rate with a finger puls ox? Occasionally anxiety can increase your heart rate,causing it to seem higher than it actually is.

NewToCPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:16 pm

I do not own a finger pulse ox, however, I do check my heart rate but sadly not when these episodes occur. I am no stranger to anxiety as well, I take medication for that. I also experience night terrors and hypnagogic hallucinations. The sensation I experience before falling asleep is like nothing I've experienced before, hence why I came here to see if it's common or sounds like an apnea issue. I do appreciate all the input so far!
Learning..

purple

Post by purple » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:48 pm

What are your pressures. First thing I always think of on this board is that their doc set a machine to wide open, 4 to 20 auto. Which means the pressures can easily be too low in the early parts of the night. That sense of suffocation would give me a panic attack.

NewToCPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:59 pm

I believe my starting pressure was set anywhere from 6-7 (I'm at work but will double check this when I get home) But like I mentioned, I do believe I have the "Opti-Start" option enabled on my CPAP. From what I've gathered this feature will start your pressure at your last effective CPAP treatment and dial up or down to suit your needs. I am almost certain this is enabled. Back in January I remember turning it on and seeing my starting pressure somewhere around 9. If this is the case, I am stumped as to why I'd be having an event so soon after falling asleep. More to ponder...
Learning..

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:33 pm

NewToCPAP wrote:. Back in January I remember turning it on and seeing my starting pressure somewhere around 9. If this is the case, I am stumped as to why I'd be having an event so soon after falling asleep. More to ponder...
Some people have central apneas during the transition between sleep stages. That is why you need to look at your data in detail, not in averages. If you body has decided to develop this issue you will need a different machine.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:37 am

NewToCPAP wrote:I do not own a finger pulse ox, however, I do check my heart rate but sadly not when these episodes occur. I am no stranger to anxiety as well, I take medication for that. I also experience night terrors and hypnagogic hallucinations. The sensation I experience before falling asleep is like nothing I've experienced before, hence why I came here to see if it's common or sounds like an apnea issue. I do appreciate all the input so far!
Agree with the advice to review data in detail. Might also want to to see about a visit to a cardiologist as perhaps he/she would consider it appropriate to do a 24 halter monitor test to see what is going on with your heart rate when you sleep.

You also mentioned taking medication for anxiety. Could you be experiencing rebound problems causing the symptoms you are experiencing? Just something to ask your doctors about.

Best of luck in sorting everything out.

49er

NewToCPAP

Post by NewToCPAP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:10 am

I will have what little data that has been recorded over the last couple months reviewed by a sleep therapist on Friday.

But a quick update from last night: I checked my starting pressure, which was 8. I have Opti-start disabled. I made some changes by turning auto mode off and keeping the pressure at a fixed 10. My average 30 day pressure was 9. I actually got 5 hours of CPAP therapy last night, something I haven't achieved in a long time. I was very mindful of the racing heart and other sensations as I went to sleep (I kind of obsessed over it yesterday so I was on high alert) this may have been to my benefit. As I mentioned, I do have anxiety which I take an anti-depressant for and am no stranger to night terrors or similar sleep disurbances. Last night I noticed the "heart racing" sensation and as quickly as I felt it I checked my pulse. To my surprise there was no racing heart at all, my pulse was fine. I can't say for sure if this is the case for the previous night, but the sensation felt the same. This happened a few times within the first ~1.5 hrs of going to bed.

I am inclined to think that these episodes may be anxiety and not an actual racing heart. It's the feeling of adrenaline in your chest, which in turn would make it feel as if your heart is racing. An interesting observation, as I said, any time I felt this last night I immediately checked my pulse, to which it was normal.
Learning..