Informal Poll: Dreamwear FFM or the AirFit F20?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Klock1

Informal Poll: Dreamwear FFM or the AirFit F20?

Post by Klock1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am

I started CPAP in February with the Amara View FFM. I found it adequate. I've had the Dreamwear FFM since June. The convenience and comfort is beyond compare-- save for the leaks and "farting" noises coming from the dreamwear.
My AHI is in the 1-3 range.
Since many sing the praises of the Resmed AirFit F20, I'd like some opinions on if it'd be worth trying out.

Stom

Re: Informal Poll: Dreamwear FFM or the AirFit F20?

Post by Stom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:34 am

Whatever works for you.

For me, the F20 seals much better. The Dreamwear FF doesn't seal under my lip well, possibly because of my beard. Another bearded guy has posted the opposite, saying only the Dreamwear FF seals for him. So it is a very individual thing you have to try for yourself.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm

I have been on CPAP for a little over 12 years. In all but the last week of that time I used a brick (RemStar Plus M Series and ResMed Mirage Ultra FFM. Last week I finally got my new equipment, ResMed Auto 10 and the Dreamwear FFM. I love the Dreamwear mask but am fighting with some leaks.

On my next order I am considering the F20. I would like to have a few different masks to choose between.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:34 pm

I tried the AirFit F20 and didn't like it..I'm sold on the F&P Simplus.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 pm

I have been using the Dreamwear FFM for three months and really like it. Prior to this, I used the F20 and the Amara View. I have used mask liners I made for all three masks. I get a good mask seal with or without the liner. I use a liner more when I am too warm and have problems getting the mask to seal because my face is sweating.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 am

I have not tried the Dreamwear, so I can't comment on the mask. I have tried out many full face masks over the years with no success. I have a knot nose and it is hard to get a seal around the bridge of my nose. I also suffer from sores/bleeding on the bridge of the nose trying to prevent leaks because of the lack being able to get a seal. My daughter started cpap therapy and I went to our host (CPAP.com) with her (in Stafford, Tx.) to try on masks. I was so impressed with F20, I tried it out for myself.... and wala. I like the way the mask is constructed around the nose bridge area. It works for me and I am very happy with the mask. I am going to try the Airtouch version. It is the memory foam version of the F20 cushion. I suspect I won't get the Airfit seal, but what the heck.....

That being said, what's works for me may not work for you. People will rave about their mask, but you may want to drop kick their mask into the next county. Be prepared to have the buyer beware attitude when trying out different masks.

Sheriff

djont57

Post by djont57 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:28 am

I was unable to get either to work without leaking. I now rotate between the DW nasal cushion & gel pillow.

djams

Post by djams » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 am

I have a bulge in the bridge of my nose right where the F20 series sits. The AirFit F20 caused sores for me as well.

Returned to my dr to find a replacement mask. I REALLY wanted the dreamwear FFM to work. I'd be able to wear my readers, and no contact at all with the bridge of my nose. Also liked the idea of getting the hose out of the way. First thing I noticed was the noise of the air traveling through the headgear. Not outrageous, but noticeable. Could've gotten used to this. Nice white noise if you choose to look at it that way. But no matter how the tech tried, she couldn't get it to seal. Would leak into my eyes with the slightest movement. Obviously this is due to the shape of MY face. Don't discount the mask because of this personal experience.

And BTW - I do have a beard that I keep trimmed short. For me the AirTouch F20 (memory foam) ended up fitting the bill. No more sores, and good seal with the beard. I frequently run up to my max pressure of 18, and have no leaks due to pressure. Others here have said they can't control leaks at 15 pressure with this mask. So YMMV for sure.

While I have related my experience here, I'll also discourage you from drawing any conclusions from it. Everything could be completely different for you, like everything else related to CPAP. :)

djams

Post by djams » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 am
My daughter started cpap therapy and I went to our host (CPAP.com) with her (in Stafford, Tx.) to try on masks.
This is the best thing to do. Try before you buy.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:11 am

Klock1 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am
I've had the Dreamwear FFM since June. The convenience and comfort is beyond compare-- save for the leaks and "farting" noises coming from the dreamwear.
Have you watched a few videos on fitting and adjusting? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +face+mask

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 am

djams wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 am
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 am
My daughter started cpap therapy and I went to our host (CPAP.com) with her (in Stafford, Tx.) to try on masks.
This is the best thing to do. Try before you buy.
Yes it is, but still, a mask can act up at night.... but you're right.

Sheriff

Bigmike52

Post by Bigmike52 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 am

First post. I have tried the F20- Airfit and the F20-Airtouch. (one silicone and one foam) The foam cushion has to be replaced monthly as it is not to be submerged in water. Just gently wiping it doesn't seem to get the oils from your skin out, and replacing the cushion monthly is costly. (about $30 American) The silicon was too thin for me and caused air leaks and fluttering so I couldn't use it. I was able to get a different medium grade silicone but I had no success with that either. As far as the DreamWear, I had too much leaking. Since masks fit differently for different people I would suggest you get it from Cpap.com in case you need to return. The F20's are pretty pricey. I myself am still looking for a FFM after 16 month's of therapy.

rileyrd22

Post by rileyrd22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am

I am currenty bouncing between the f20 air touch and the dreamwear FFM. Pros and cons for both. I like the f20 as it does not fit under the nose, but started stuggling with f20 with leaks when side sleeping with regular pillow. Thinking about trying a cpap pillow.

tbubah

Post by tbubah » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 am

Hi, after my last sleep study a year ago revealing that I had not been receiving adequate cpap therapy, due to my using only a nasal mask and having constant mouth opening, and not enough pressure (10) after aging 10 years and gaining 15 lbs since my first sleep study, I was increased to pressure 12 and a full face mask, given an Airfit F20 and loved it from the get-go! Fast-forward to present time and I cannot get in a couple of hours without face pain. When I follow the instructions from my initial fitting to set the straps just tight enough that the mask totally seals WHEN INFLATED, the outer "lips" of the seal flare out and the edges cut into my face. When I set it tight enough to prevent the inflation, my face hurts from the mask pressing so hard against my face. I should mention I lost 15 lbs since that study, although I don't think my face shrunk THAT much to cause such a problem... and I have tried reducing the pressure down as low as 8, but to no avail. I also have an AmaraView, very occasionally I can use it for a few hours, but most of the time I can't stand it contacting my nostrils (same reason I could never use nasal pillows). After reading this post I'm going to look into the AirSense F20, hopefully the memory foam will alleviate my problem, as I have no problem with the shape or headgear of the AirFit F20.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I think you will find the Air Touch cushion will stop your problems. I have used both the regular F20 and the Air Soft. I really hoped the Air Soft cushion would work for me. It was very comfortable to wear. The problem I had was getting a good seal once my pressure went over 15 or 16 cm. My wife said the same thing when she tried it. It might have worked if I had pulled it a little tighter, but I didn't want to do that.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.