Numbers Ain't Everything

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lizistired

Numbers Ain't Everything

Post by Lizistired » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 pm

The scored apnea was an awakening that INCREASED my O2.
Where the desats occurred, I had leaks well BELOW ResMed's Red Line.
No apneas during that time so the numbers look great.... if you don't have an oximeter.
The leaks happen during deep or rem sleep and I don't know they happen until I look at the data. I think I will try a sleepweaver. My attempts at leak control tend to work well for a night or 2 and then I'm leaking again.

Here is a zoomed in overlay of that period.
The red line is 90% O2. No apneas or hypopneas scored.

MaxDarkside

Re: Numbers Ain't Everything

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Interesting. My O2 sats tend to average about 93-95% while sleeping and desat to the upper 80's during "events". Thanks for sharing that.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

peterg

Post by peterg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:Interesting. My O2 sats tend to average about 93-95% while sleeping and desat to the upper 80's during "events". Thanks for sharing that.

Im no expert....

are you confident in the O2 readings? what is your daytime O2 reading?

that said, I consider the O2 meter just as important as the machine data, and its good to have one thing checking up against anoher. the perfect trio would include and EEG monitor, (and a Swedish nurse).

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 pm

peterg wrote:Im no expert....
That makes two of us ! !!!
are you confident in the O2 readings? what is your daytime O2 reading? that said, I consider the O2 meter just as important as the machine data, and its good to have one thing checking up against anoher. the perfect trio would include and EEG monitor, (and a Swedish nurse).
I don't have a Swedish nurse, oh wait, my wife is Norwegian and part Swede, maybe I do... she looks kind of like Ingrid Bergman... OK, I'm rambling...
Yes, the O2 is "reasonably" reliable but it is not a medical device. Technically it has an error of 1-2%. I also have a non-medical device EEG monitor (Zeo Bedside) ... and the machine. They all tell a confirming story.

Why? Desats for a bit when in a 40-50 second apnea to 88% I think would be normal. I can do that by holding my breath.

Thanks

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 am

Peter, I checked mine against the hospital's equipment yesterday and it was pretty accurate, though I'm sure they use a higher sampling rate. I think I read that ours use a 6 second average.
I'll check against my doc's finger pulse tomorrow.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 am

Here's my charts from last night, including the brainwaves that you will see above the Zeo sleep stages. I de-satted to 86% once, it is just a spike, but it's during an apnea and there is no distortion in the pulse at the same time, so likely it was real but short lived (more of a curiosity to me). It seems all my O2 events are associated with an apnea of one kind or another and my O2 averages 93.5 (+/- 2).

This was not one of my "cleaner" nights. I had a couple ounces of Remy brandy just before sleep. While I sleep sooner, alcohol does fragment the quality, esp. cheap liquor

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm

I can't wait for you to tell us what all those sqiggly lines mean!

My apneas rarely last longer than 12 seconds and I still have desats with no apneas... and this morning no leaks either. Wonder what I was dreaming about? I was thinking about reducing my pressure to see where the apneas start up again but maybe that's not such a good idea.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Lizistired wrote:I can't wait for you to tell us what all those sqiggly lines mean!
Hehehe... I know all but the meaning of the brain wave thingie-squigglies, but I can see how they match up with what I do know, and that is a good thing.
My apneas rarely last longer than 12 seconds and I still have desats with no apneas... and this morning no leaks either. Wonder what I was dreaming about? I was thinking about reducing my pressure to see where the apneas start up again but maybe that's not such a good idea.
My apneas seem to average from 10-40, sometimes near 50 seconds and last night averaged 20 seconds.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:
Lizistired wrote:I can't wait for you to tell us what all those sqiggly lines mean!
Hehehe... I know all but the meaning of the brain wave thingie-squigglies, but I can see how they match up with what I do know, and that is a good thing.
My apneas seem to average from 10-40, sometimes near 50 seconds and last night averaged 20 seconds.
I had some 42 seconds long at first. That went away when I turned off the EPR. Now they are 10-12 and usually preceded by deep breaths so I consider them arousals rather than apneas. Not sure there is a solution for that.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Lizistired wrote:I had some 42 seconds long at first. That went away when I turned off the EPR. Now they are 10-12 and usually preceded by deep breaths so I consider them arousals rather than apneas. Not sure there is a solution for that.
You say they went away with turning off EPR... Interesting. Mine are preceded by lower and lower respiration until it stops, ResMed pulses me for a while, then I resolve with deep breaths and *most often* the ResMed will step up the pressure. My ResMed will score an OA much too early quite often, like half-way through the OA, presuming there's no bug in SleepyHead or the ResMed placement of the markers.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah, In my avatar, where the red AHI graph drops off... that's feb 7th when I turned off the EPR. I've tried it since at 1 and not noticed much difference but I don't need it so it's OFF. My DME had set it to 3 and I felt like the machine was telling me when to breathe.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Mine is set to 1, which makes for a comfortable exhale. Maybe that's low enough that it does not matter on a range from 7-15 (14% reduction when at 7, 7% at 15).

peterg

Post by peterg » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:35 pm

interesting eeg graphs, thanks for showing, maybe they wouldnt be that useful to me as I cant see any strong correlations there, though if I stare long enough I can almost make out Ingrid Bergman's lips, followed up by what appears to be Bogart a grimace or sneer. the summary and block graph of sleep stages is interesting, though one generally has a feel for a "good nights sleep" or otherwise. does the EEg machine have a PC interface for a game controller? can it count sheep?

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:40 pm

peterg wrote:interesting eeg graphs, thanks for showing, maybe they wouldnt be that useful to me as I cant see any strong correlations there, though if I stare long enough I can almost make out Ingrid Bergman's lips, followed up by what appears to be Bogart a grimace or sneer. the summary and block graph of sleep stages is interesting, though one generally has a feel for a "good nights sleep" or otherwise. does the EEg machine have a PC interface for a game controller? can it count sheep?
LOL ! My father, interestingly enuf, looks a bit like Bogart and me, well, very subtly. On facebook I have a pictures of Bogart and Bergman that symbolize my wife and I. She does look reasonably like Bergman. Oh, if you need any transit papers, they are in the top of the piano. Ask Sam if you can peek in there.

Regarding correlations, I can see deep and REM in the brainwaves, taking a cue from the other data. The rest to me looks like jumble yet. No game controller on the Zeo yet. When I can reverse the polarity of the flux capacitors, I probably can jack into myself like in the Matrix and download martial arts training into my brain

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Liz & Max,

How are you able to calculate the duration of your events?

Starlette