Cold Weather Camping w/ CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Georgio

Cold Weather Camping w/ CPAP

Post by Georgio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:17 pm

I've just returned from my first 2 nights camping since on cpap. I used this battery from CPAP.COM: Respironics Battery Pack with 12V DC Power Cord. I selected it because I believe it should be good for at least 3 nights. It was very easy to use. I was camping in what is considered very "cold" weather at the beach here in Florida, high 30s at night. I slept nice and warm the first night inside 2 sleeping bags. The experience I encountered was, while I was snug as a bug in my bags, the air coming in thru the hose from the machine in the corner of the tent, was very cold! I considered remedies for the second night. I considered routing the hose into the sleeping bag, however I am accustomed to an overhead arrangement and I had the hose suspended on a bungee cord.

The solution I tried and seemed to work, was to use "peal and stick footwarmers", that I stuck inside a jacket and then "tented" the machine with.

Overall, I slept 6 hours the first night, and 7 hours the second night. It was the best sleep I can ever remember camping! I came home feeling rested!

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

OutaSync

Re: Cold Weather Camping w/ CPAP

Post by OutaSync » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 pm

"peal and stick footwarmers"

Pure genius.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 pm

What a "warm" idea, Georgio... peel and stick foot warmers!

Hmm, I wonder if one could use this with a passover humidifier if the power's out?

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 pm

"Pure Genius". That is very generous of you Outasync. I had them on the trip due to the "severe" temperatures. I thought if they could warm your feet, they would be able to temper the air entering the machine, and it worked.

I did not use my humidifier. I understand that the humidifier can be used only in the passover mode while on a battery. I believe you could use the humidifier in the same way. However, if the air in the tent is much colder than a bedroom temperature, you may only achieve what would be equivalent to a -1 or -2 on the humidifier setting.

Georgio

amos

Post by amos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Georgio,

I am glad to hear that the Boy Scout camping trip went well for you. Did the other boys have a good laugh at your cpap gear?

Amos

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 am

Hey Amos, as far as I know only my grandson Scout knew that I was "on the machine" at night. Although, word will probably get out gradually, as I am no longer the loudest adult snorer!

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 am

Georgio,

A troop/pack is a small comunity. I doubt your "secret" will be kept long.

My guess is you will soon become the answerer of questions. Our last camp out we had a new leader on CPAP. Our host ran an extention cord for him from the main building. The next morning he (and 2 leaders with relatives on CPAP) were questioning me on what my setup was and "do you have a solution for..."

BTW I'm adding your foot warmer solution to my camping kit. Why didn't I think of it.

hwmarshall

Post by hwmarshall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 am

I just received my CPAP machine yesterday, 3 days to late for my cold weather camping trip. I will have to remember the foot warmers. However I doubt they will have much impact on the temperatures we experianced this past weekend, but it could certainly take some of the bite off the 2 degrees my troop was camping in.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I would think that drawing 2 degree F. air through a cpap would cause hypothermia or something! Maybe there is an engineer here that can calculate the required BTU's and estimate the number of foot warmers that you would need. I thought about putting the machine and hose in the sleeping bag with me!

Georgio

hwmarshall

Post by hwmarshall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:03 pm

I would probably go without if we go camping in anything less than 30 degree weather again. I will definately remember the foot warmers for the 30-40 degree temps we somtimes encounter.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 am

It seems most folks here jump through hoops to make sure they don't have to go one night without their cpap. They are that addictive!

Also, there are some "horror" stories out there about the consequences of going off cpap for even one night. Not recommended.

Georgio

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 am

I am happy to report that the battery I used for camping from CPAP.COM, "Respironics Battery Pack with 12V DC Power Cord
for Respironics", provided excellent service. I have continued to use the battery after I got home to check it's capacity. I had the following results:

First night = 6 hours
Second night = 7 hours
Third night = 8 hours
Fourth night = 5 hours

If you need more than one night, and don't want to haul 40 lbs of marine deep cycle, this is the one for you.

Georgio