February 27, 2009: Implantable Device Replaces CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

February 27, 2009: Implantable Device Replaces CPAP

Post by roster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Well here it is:
Inspire II Implantable Nerve Stimulator for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Filed under: ENT , Neurological Surgery

Inspire Medical Systems, a spin-out of Medtronic, has developed an implantable electronic stimulator for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and now implanted it in a first patient. Because muscles in the upper airway relax more than necessary in some OSA patients, the passage gets blocked and air can't flow repeatedly during sleep. The company's Inspire II System applies an electric current to the hypoglossal nerve at proper times by sensing the pulmonary pressure of the patient. Of note, Inspire Medical has received FDA approval for the device.

More about the device from the product page:

The Inspire II system consists of an implantable pulse generator, a pulmonary pressure sensor and a stimulation lead that delivers the electrical impulses to the patient's hypoglossal nerve. The hypoglossal nerve is the twelfth cranial nerve that is located along the side of the neck and leads to the tongue. The unique closed-loop design of the Inspire II system senses a patient's respiratory effort during sleep and provides hypoglossal nerve stimulation to maintain an open airway synchronous with respiration. Patients have a programming device that is used to turn the device on at bedtime and to turn the unit off during non-sleep periods. The stimulation delivered is sufficient enough to evoke a response from the nerve but at a low enough level to not disturb the patient's sleep. A physician controller unit, used during visits to the patient's treating physician, is used to monitor the therapy and make adjustments to the device as needed for the patient's unique physiology

I know what I want for Father's Day!

Bye-bye CPAP. Bye-bye aerophagia.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________

March 17, 2009

Hey guys, here is an update on a competing implantable device made by Apnex Medical, Inc. It looks cool; can't wait to see if it works well!
We recently reported on an implantable nerve stimulator from Inspire Medical Systems that aims to help people with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). During sleep the system monitors one's breathing and stimulates the hypoglossal nerve to help open muscles in the upper airway, to keep it open. We now learn that Apnex Medical out of St. Paul, Minnesota is conducting a clinical trial of a competing product, the Apnex Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation (HGNS™) System.

Here's how the Apnex system works from the company's technology page:

Implanted Components
The Neurostimulator is implanted in a subcutaneous pocket inferior to the clavicle over the pectoralis fascia. A nerve cuff electrode on the distal end of the Stimulation Lead is implanted on a branch of the hypoglossal nerve (HGN) in the submandibular region. The proximal end of the Stimulation Lead is tunneled under the skin to the Neurostimulator. The Respiration Sensing Leads are tunneled under the skin from the Neurostimulator to the costal margins.

External Components
The Programmer System and Therapy Controller are wirelessly linked to the Neurostimulator. The Programmer System includes the following components: computer; programmer interface; and programmer head. The programmer system is used by the physician to control and program the Neurostimulator during surgery and therapy titration. The Therapy Controller is used by the patient to control limited aspects of therapy delivery, to meet their unique sleep needs.

The Apnex HGNS System is intended to work by restoring neuromuscular activity to the genioglossus muscle by stimulating the hypoglossal nerve synchronous with inspiration to mitigate upper airway collapse during sleep. This is similar to how the body's natural neuromuscular physiology functions in people without OSA. Stimulation is generated by the Neurostimulator, synchronized with inspiration as measured by the Respiration Sensing Leads using bio-impedance, and delivered to the hypoglossal nerve by the Stimulation Lead.

http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2009/ ... r_osa.html

Last edited by roster on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

freepostg

Re: February 27, 2009: Implantable Device Replaces CPAP

Post by freepostg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 pm

neat..looks like a pace maker. They're certainly trying...

packitin

Post by packitin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by packitin on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Well I will wait till a thousand or so give it the thumbs up before I lay down for this.

I know that there are several companies working on fixes for the challenges we face.
I hope this will help some.

Karen

roster

Post by roster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

packitin wrote:I can see it now. I'll get up some morning, forget to turn off my device, my wife will come in while I'm placing my toast in the microwave.
She'll say something to tick me off, my device will send my throat muscles into spasms, then I'll bite her head off.... oops.
Maybe. But here is what I see:

-No more mask marks.
-No more bad hair day caused by CPAP headgear.
-No more irritated nose.
-No more carrying CPAP machine/mask/hose/humidifier/lady's tights leg/distilled water/extension cord when traveling.
-No more aerophagia.
-No more insomnia caused by aerophagia.
-No more elevated blood glucose levels caused by aerophagia.
-Sleeping on my back.
-Taking afternoon naps on the beach after a morning of body surfing! God I miss those days.
-Being able on long drives to pull into a rest area and take a nap.
-Reclining on the sofa, watching TV and not worrying about falling asleep unhosed!
-No fear that the power will go out and I will have to stay awake all night.
-Getting treatment for my dear wife who refuses CPAP!

I do want to purchase a portable home monitoring device (such as http://www.b-alert.com/Publications/Ass ... _final.pdf ) to monitor the effectiveness of the Aspire device.

Let's go Aspire. I am ready to volunteer for the trials!

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:16 pm

if you do...keep us posted.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:19 pm

freepostg wrote:if you do...keep us posted.
Absolutely.

And if I am unable to post, my wife has instructions to post my obit.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:22 pm

please have her forward a portion of the estate my way if you don't mind...I've been ruined by the market!

roster

Post by roster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:28 pm

freepostg wrote:please have her forward a portion of the estate my way if you don't mind...I've been ruined by the market!
Sure. Have fun with it:

I have been investing in the same market you invested in.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:33 pm

you have me beat... my pennies are Canadian....they're worth even less

Linus

Post by Linus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Elevated glucose levels and aerophagia???

I am curious...what is the relation / correlation? Does aerophagia lead to increased glucose levels?

dsm

Post by dsm » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Good find - raises interesting possibilities (as long as they perfect it on someone else )

I see they qualify it as suitable for 'some' cpap patients

Interesting !

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Patients have a programming device that is used to turn the device on at bedtime and to turn the unit off during non-sleep periods. The stimulation delivered is sufficient enough to evoke a response from the nerve but at a low enough level to not disturb the patient's sleep. A physician controller unit, used during visits to the patient's treating physician, is used to monitor the therapy and make adjustments to the device as needed for the patient's unique physiology

First time I've heard the on off button called a programming device!

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

roster

Post by roster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Linus wrote:Elevated glucose levels and aerophagia???

I am curious...what is the relation / correlation? Does aerophagia lead to increased glucose levels?
Sharp Linus, you caught that!

I started a new thread just for this subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39249

See what you think.

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:35 pm

there will be side effects to this too rooster. It might be better in the end or it might be better for some than others. But no treatment will go without other effects. For one, this will need to be surgically implanted. Implants can cause reactions in some people. So can surgery, even minor surgery. This also has electrical stuff messing with nerves. Lots of room for things to not work there. Worse, there exists a "physician controller unit". No way I want a doc messing with my settings inside my body. Its bad enough they keep messing with my machine!

I am hopeful also but I am not ready to sign up for a trial until they have more than one person implanted for a period of time successfully.